Gibson Brands Forums

Technical Q

E-minor7

I have a guitar from the 60's, which is in a very good state, but it obviously has shrunk over the years.

It is clearly felt where the bindings meet the wood and can even be seen on the body-shape around the upper bouts.

There's no problems about it, , , except on the neck where an edge has developed all the way down from first to last reachable fret.

My Q is : Is it okay to sand this 'sharp' line away and how would that influence the old nitrocellulose ?

Not sure we get each other here - I'm talking about an edge between the neck-binding and the neck wood all the way down (the neck being the higest).

It's under a mm difference, but clearly felt when moving fx the thumb back and forth.

To take photos of this would demand a micro-cam ;-)

Still thought that play wear would've taken that edge down a bit. Nasty business, the prospect of removing wood from the edge of the neck; if it's not too much, then ok, but to overspray or not, becomes the question. One thing I like about the newer guitar necks is the quicksilver smoothness; even use a bit of Virtuoso polish to maintain it on those.

Are you saying that the fret ends have pushed the binding away from the board as the wood has shrunk? If I recall, the binding on a Gibson neck covers the fret ends.

I know there are cases where you can scrape the binding but this might be an instance where having the binding replaced would be the smart route.

Are you saying that the fret ends have pushed the binding away from the board as the wood has shrunk?

As I see it, it's a bit of a riddle.

At first glance one would think the fretboard had shrunk and withdrawn from the neck edges - but then the split-parallograms fit fine.

So does the bindings touch against each end of the bone nut.

Sherlock wonders if the neck-wood has swollen, either in the immense summer heat here, , , or over time. .

Then again, no -

The binding is drying and shrinking. To sand or not to sand, that is the question. If you're anal about the line, sand with no coarser than 320 grit. Otherwise, have another drink and let it slide. Wish I could be there to join and postulate.

The binding is drying and shrinking. To sand or not to sand, that is the question. If you're anal about the line, sand with no coarser than 320 grit. Otherwise, have another drink and let it slide. Wish I could be there to join and postulate.

Yesss, thanks for offereing the oppotunity to state that I'm perfectly sober* when playing and writing these pages -

unless I'm just home from town and lurking/chiming in like a 12-string.

Apart from I'm not afraid of sanding if someone could guarantee the laquer won't freak out. A little matt line where the binding meets the neck-wood shouldn't be a prob.

And it probably would re-gloss after a few weeks activity.

Not really anal about the edge either, but my thumb seems to be when sliding up to G with dropped D.

In fact I already removed a little wood, but don't dare to go further before some expert here assures me no harm will occur.

*If you stepped by, I'd naturally pour a glas of red or a Daniels on the rocks - you're welcome. . .

No tech help here, but before sanding anything I would calmly measure humidity in room, humidity in guitar and the case while shut.

It may just need a few drinks itself!

BluesKing777.

[wink] But it's burning summer here, which should mean swollen not shrinking woods.

You're in touch-up territory so I wouldn't worry about anything other than hand comfort. Any remaining edge can be rubbed out with 0000 steel wool or superfine sandpaper.

Sure, , , we know and have seen uneven lacquer up'n'down necks before - just like to be sure I don't start a horror crack-scene in the Salvation Army chords zone.

Guess I'll stop where it at for a while and see what happens - I can live with it for now. . .

Archived