Gibson Brands Forums

How to buy an electric

Randmo

I am new to guitars, been playing almost 5 months. Have a Gibson J-15 and was thinking of branching out to an electric. I really like the looks of the Les Pauls, but I don't understand all of the features. What are some things to look for as far as construction, body, pickups etc. I know nothing about electrics. I'm willing to spend up to about $1500 or so but since I am not a professional nor do I desire to be one, maybe something in the $600.00 to $1000.00 range would be better suited for me?

Ohh look.. as if by magic a perfect article for you on the Gibson site :)

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Get-the-Maximum-Out-of-Your-First-Electric.aspx

LOL I like the last point.. :unsure: ;)

Smoke the pots: Here’s something else an acoustic guitar can’t do: radically change volume and tone by rolling the speed dials, a/k/a potentiometer or “pot” controls, up and down. With a distorted sound, roll the volume pots back toward the low numbers to clean up your tone. Roll towards 10 to get dirty and solo at a higher volume. For darker, deeper, fatter voices, roll the tone pots back. For bright tones, push the tone pots up. And with multiple pickups, the possibilities for blending are rich, impressive and, well, if not limitless, at least super cool!

Ohh look.. as if by magic a perfect article for you on the Gibson site :)

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Get-the-Maximum-Out-of-Your-First-Electric.aspx

LOL I like the last point.. :unsure: ;)

Smoke the pots: Here’s something else an acoustic guitar can’t do: radically change volume and tone by rolling the speed dials, a/k/a potentiometer or “pot” controls, up and down. With a distorted sound, roll the volume pots back toward the low numbers to clean up your tone. Roll towards 10 to get dirty and solo at a higher volume. For darker, deeper, fatter voices, roll the tone pots back. For bright tones, push the tone pots up. And with multiple pickups, the possibilities for blending are rich, impressive and, well, if not limitless, at least super cool!

[biggrin] Well, fixed bridges and single coils are not my cup of tea, but I think Orange valve amps translate any guitar tone one can imagine. They are top of the line in price and weight as well, but in my opinion they are worth it.

I know this is arguable, but I also am a fan of European power valve types since these are real pentodes instead of beam-power tetrodes. For tonal reasons, decades ago I redesigned the two 6L6 poweramp stages of mine for accepting EL34s at the flick of a retrofitted bias switch. Sometimes I make A/B comparisons but up to now I always stayed with using EL34s in the end.

I think I'm stuck on the Les Paul Studio Pro after playing one yesterday. I loved the color (Cherry Sunburst) and the feel. It's probably got more features than I need, but I like it. I would rather spend the $1500 and love it than spend $800 and wish I had something else.

I think I'm stuck on the Les Paul Studio Pro after playing one yesterday. I loved the color (Cherry Sunburst) and the feel. It's probably got more features than I need, but I like it. I would rather spend the $1500 and love it than spend $800 and wish I had something else.

Look's like another one's goin' to the dark side! lol (I'm just jealous)

Went to GC today and looked at a Les Paul Studio Deluxe , I'm thinking the deluxe is a GC exclusive. I really didn't ,see any difference between the pro and the deluxe, same colors, hard case and finish etc. the only real difference was the pro had push/pull knobs and the deluxe had push/push. Does anyone know the differences?

Normally the deluxe is $1399 and pro $1525. GC had the deluxe on sale for $999

I am assuming this is the one you are talking about?

Les Paul Studio Deluxe

http://www2.gibson.c...-Exclusive.aspx

Studio deluxe

9 hole weight traditional weight relief

60's neck

book matched maple cap on 2 piece mahogany body

490R and Burstbucker Pro

Mahogany neck

faux binding

baked maple fretboard

coil splitting via push pull

500K cts pots

These specs may be older, because Gibson doesn't really update specs to much on the "exclusive" models

Les Paul Studio Pro

http://www2.gibson.c...-StudioPro.aspx

Modern weight relief Mahogany body (doesn't state how many peices

60's Mahogany neck

57 classic and burstbucker pro

500k pots Orange drop capcitors

rosewood board

Coil splitting via push pull

From the pics it looks like 2 piece book matched top, because some of them have slight flaming on them.

Offered in many more finish options

It's a toss up for me, I like the traditional weight relief of the deluxe, but I like the rosewood board of the pro. The pick up difference is minimal as it is only the neck pickup that is different. and they can always be swapped to taste.

No, it's this one

Studio Deluxe II

It has more color options, push/push, hardshell case and rosewood fingerboard.

see that's what i mean gibson doesn't update their specs on exclusive models, it was the same for the trad pro line, the only gibson specs available are for the original trad pro, not the II.

If it has the rosewood board, and is still traditionally weight relieved than I would go with the deluxe II model personally, just because of personal preference that I prefer traditional over modern weight relief. If you go to guitar center, right down the serial number and then email gibson about the full specs, they respond very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am new to guitars, been playing almost 5 months. Have a Gibson J-15 and was thinking of branching out to an electric. I really like the looks of the Les Pauls, but I don't understand all of the features. What are some things to look for as far as construction, body, pickups etc. I know nothing about electrics. I'm willing to spend up to about $1500 or so but since I am not a professional nor do I desire to be one, maybe something in the $600.00 to $1000.00 range would be better suited for me?

go with your heart... [smile]

Archived