Gibson Brands Forums

I didn't know Gibson still made LG-1

wonderful remark

2006 custom shop LG-1

There was a smallish run of these' date=' originally intended for the Japanese market. If it matters to you, they should have been called LG-2s, because they're X-braced.

Does that mean' date=' through the custom shop, I could get them to make an discontinued guitar??[/quote']

Yes.

-- Bob R

How do the guitars for overseas markets compare to those for USA market? Any real difference, other than the label seems to be missing.

In the past 6 months I've played two LG-2s that were supposedly slated for the overseas market. I keep getting the hankering to go back and get one if they are still there.

There was a smallish run of these' date=' originally intended for the Japanese market. If it matters to you, they should have been called LG-2s, because they're X-braced.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Musician's Friend had a run of these last year under the "Gibson Icon" banner.

If it matters to you' date=' they should have been called LG-2s, because they're X-braced.[/quote']

Actually, in its first year of existence, the LG-1 was X-braced. After a long hiatus, the LG-1 returned post WWII with ladder bracing.

Here's my X-braced, 1942 LG-1:

2973913060033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Musician's Friend had a run of these last year under the "Gibson Icon" banner.

AFAICT' date=' these could have been from the batch that didn't go to Japan. I recall looking at them on the MF website and they appeared to be identical.

Actually' date=' in its first year of existence, the LG-1 was X-braced.[/quote']

In the immortal words of Johnny Carson, I did not know that! (Although, since the 2006 run was supposedly based on the late '50s LG-1, that doesn't really give 'em an excuse for getting it wrong.)

Thanks for the info, John!

-- Bob R

i am from CT where the shop is that ES-335 found that LG-1

if you are in the area...go to youngblood's workshop...that man has a SERIOUS collection of hard to find acoustics!

and he is very knowledgeable...when i went there a couple of months ago...he had a couple of really expensive guitars...(like $20,000+) that he was doing work on...his waiting list is absurd...like at least 3-5 months...but from what i hear he is worth it!

Archived