Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Couple of Amazing Guitars This Weekend

zombywoof

It has been a great weekend for guitars. Not only spending time with the Gibson L-12 but I got to play a newish Collings OM-2H and a 1947 Martin 000-28. Lawdy, both those guitars were just amazing. Big, big voices and beautifully balanced. But of the two I would have to give the Collings the thumbs up. That is one of those guitars you just want to wrap yourself around. Wasn't for sale and I could not have afford it even if it was but one of those guitars that just brings a big old smile to your face.

It has been a great weekend for guitars. Not only spending time with the Gibson L-12 but I got to play a newish Collings OM-2H and a 1947 Martin 000-28. Lawdy, both those guitars were just amazing. Big, big voices and beautifully balanced. But of the two I would have to give the Collings the thumbs up. That is one of those guitars you just want to wrap yourself around. Wasn't for sale and I could not have afford it even if it was but one of those guitars that just brings a big old smile to your face.

I'm considering a trade for a Collings OM 2. Cedar top though. I have read some stories about bridge separation on those tops so I'm hesitant.

Played a 1947 L-5 Sunday afternoon, complete with a DeArmond Rhythm King pickup.

This story is too crazy to write up now (just got home from a gig), but I'm going to start a new thread on this one, stay tuned.

Let's just say that the guitar IS in my possession, for five days!

It has been a great weekend for guitars.

Sounds good - I've only tried 2 Collings and was curious (among other reasons because Joni Mitchell and Lyle Lovett play them). They were very good.

I can't look away from the fact they are Martin copies though - same thing with some Santa Cruz'es. .

Stopped in a Sam Ash here Friday, and was surprised at the number and variety of Gibson Acoustics.. On previous visits, the last nearly 2 years ago, they only had 4 or 5. But they had 15 or so, and more being delivered that morning while I was there. Three H'birds, including a Lefty. Doves, J45s and a Custom. J100, j35 and a neat custom parlor guitar. I had passed by SA, because GC had always more Gibsons, even though SA is a 5Star Dealer. Anyway, it was nice to see that much of a selection here. They were all out or reach of the casual shopper, which was also a plus to me.

I've owned a Collings D-2h for over 20 years.(One of the early ones- serial #554) It is still one of the best guitars I've ever played. My mandolin family is all Gibsons, though. If I could figure out how to post a picture of them, I'd show them to you.

Archived