Gibson Brands Forums

How is the Gibson 'thump' created ?

EuroAussie

Here ya go! I tried to get all the baby powder off it but.....

Yeps, there we surely went – a very attractive guitar, , , , and pretty close to my 1963 except for the less black burst.

It is in good shape a looks like a robust squire. Action seems low and smooth too, which makes these model even dreamier to play.

I came home through a rainstorm late yesterday night when I opened the Board and saw these pics, , , after drying my own.

Stuck on the flooding taxi-less streets here, the water had soaked into the old case Not a catastrophe, but NOT wanted either.

I still have troubles seeing the upper shape of the back braces. Rather important to me (and to sound) – flat or rounded ?

And what's that powder thing. . .

The back braces look tall skinny and mostly flat to me:

15dmalc.jpg

I've gone through a half dozen cases with this one. It didn't come with one and over the years I owned several. Most got 'taken' from the SJ to sweeten the deal on a guitar I was selling. One was an old OLD Lifton style case that got wet on my leaky porch and I forgot about it for 4 or 5 months... I opened it one day and it was full of mold. The guitar was leaning in the corner where it usually is, so no damage. I never take it anywhere so it's almost never in the case. It's current parking place is a corner of our bedroom very close to the dresser where I keep the baby powder I use every day so it gets a daily dusting by accident.

I do very much love that guitar and I know I ramble on about it but it's just so comfy. The closest one I have in tone and thump is a beat up '98 Seagull S-6 cedar. Luck of the draw on that one I think.

I just now noticed the pic of the heel. The flash is a liar; it's much blacker.

I've also had several sets of tuners on it. It had Grovers when I got it and I put Schaller gold ones on in the late 80s; they looked like old Klusons but had screw on bushings and they were meant for 3/8" holes. I robbed them at some point and since then I've had 2 or 3 sets of Korean Grovers that were exactly like the Schallers, just not as good quality IMO.

They are definitely the flat very thin ones (used in other models also) - but Kalamazoo went to the rounded more 'knife-edge' like ones sometime during 1964.

To fortify the box I guess, , , and maybe to add a bit more sonic core.

My new 1964 CW has the rounded back-braces - but still there's a minor boom to the first 3 frets of G strings-notes.

Not at all as much as the 1963 (and yours, I presume) - be glad.

Better not get further into the powder-scene. . . ,-)

Good, that helps confirm it really is a '64. Elderly sold it to me as such but we all know how screwy the serial numbers were. It def does NOT have the skinnier neck that seemed to show up in 65 and now you point out the back braces, well, that just helps nail it down.

... One was an old OLD Lifton style case that got wet on my leaky porch and I forgot about it for 4 or 5 months... I opened it one day and it was full of mold. The guitar was leaning in the corner where it usually is, so no damage. I never take it anywhere so it's almost never in the case. It's current parking place is a corner of our bedroom very close to the dresser where I keep the baby powder I use every day so it gets a daily dusting by accident.

[rolleyes] While reading, I imagined for one and a half sentences you had used the baby powder on purpose for preventing against mold growth. That's what it does on human skin, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Although my bread and butter in my career has always been the bass guitar, and I am a Fender fanatic, some of you know that I am also an acoustic connoisseur and a Gibson fanatic. That being said, when I am at home on the farm and I sit down with an acoustic, by far my SJ200 always comes into play. But, when it comes to thump and growl, I prefer my Martin M21 Steve Earle model. Anyone can make any guitar thump and growl given the technique and passion and the feel of your instrument, IMO, but there is something about that smaller M21 that has the bite and punch I like now and then. I'd say it gets just as much time on the sofa as the Jumbo. The excellent deep resonance of this guitar, I believe, is due to the addition of 5/16” forward-shifted scalloped top bracing that enhances the responsiveness. I am not a luthier nor do I sit and dwell a lot on the science and origin of resonance and bass in any particular guitar, I am a man of simple means and I just know what sounds good to me. That M21 growls and thumps and moans when I play the blues on it. I also agree that the passion and technique from the player has much to do with that. Designed by my old time buddy Matt Umanov, and Steve Earle, at Matt's shop in NYC, the M21 is quite pricey but well worth the bucks if you want a guitar that has it all in a smaller package. Not that I can't make that custom Jumbo thump and growl, but I think the reason the M21 gets as much or more play time as the SJ is because it is more comfortable to play on the sofa or loveseat amongst friends and family. My wife is learning to play and she is a little thing and can't hardly get her arms around the Jumbos I have, so the M21 has become her favorite guitar. But, for thump and growl I would put it up against the Gibsons any day. It definitely has it's place in my collection:)

Although my bread and butter in my career has always been the bass guitar, and I am a Fender fanatic, some of you know that I am also an acoustic connoisseur and a Gibson fanatic. That being said, when I am at home on the farm and I sit down with an acoustic, by far my SJ200 always comes into play. But, when it comes to thump and growl, I prefer my Martin M21 Steve Earle model. Anyone can make any guitar thump and growl given the technique and passion and the feel of your instrument, IMO, but there is something about that smaller M21 that has the bite and punch I like now and then. I'd say it gets just as much time on the sofa as the Jumbo. The excellent deep resonance of this guitar, I believe, is due to the addition of 5/16" forward-shifted scalloped top bracing that enhances the responsiveness. I am not a luthier nor do I sit and dwell a lot on the science and origin of resonance and bass in any particular guitar, I am a man of simple means and I just know what sounds good to me. That M21 growls and thumps and moans when I play the blues on it. I also agree that the passion and technique from the player has much to do with that. Designed by my old time buddy Matt Umanov, and Steve Earle, at Matt's shop in NYC, the M21 is quite pricey but well worth the bucks if you want a guitar that has it all in a smaller package. Not that I can't make that custom Jumbo thump and growl, but I think the reason the M21 gets as much or more play time as the SJ is because it is more comfortable to play on the sofa or loveseat amongst friends and family. My wife is learning to play and she is a little thing and can't hardly get her arms around the Jumbos I have, so the M21 has become her favorite guitar. But, for thump and growl I would put it up against the Gibsons any day. It definitely has it's place in my collection:)

I had an M21 - loved it. I sold it after a month because I bought it without really talking to my wife... and it was delivered the day her dad died. There just was a lot of sadness around it, which is why it went. The guitar itself was actually one of the best guitars I ever played hands down.

Sometimes what makes a guitar, or makes it go, is... unique. I felt queasy and guilty every day of the month that I had it.

I had an M21 - loved it. I sold it after a month because I bought it without really talking to my wife... and it was delivered the day her dad died. There just was a lot of sadness around it, which is why it went. The guitar itself was actually one of the best guitars I ever played hands down.

Sometimes what makes a guitar, or makes it go, is... unique. I felt queasy and guilty every day of the month that I had it.

Oh man, sorry for your loss, both of them. Musicians, for the most part, are emotional and sentimental, which is what we draw on when we create. I get what you are saying, and it's very true. A stigma can be stuck on a guitar like a marred finish and it can remind you of a particularly bad memory every time you look at it. Had and got rid of a sweet Gibson Dove years ago simply because my ex-wife bought it for me for my birthday. I was sad to see it go, but I was happy to see her go, and the oxymoronic sentiment was not lost on me...lol

Archived