Gibson Brands Forums

bridge pin size

gibby1956

After reading posts on bridge pin materials and possible effects on tone characteristics I realize it is a personal choice......and often dependent on so many other characteristics ( or parts ) on the guitar. I have had my songwriter for only a couple of weeks now, love everything about this instrument......but the plastic bridge pins. While not so much a matter of bling, I am always thinking about the plastic pins and that almost non-existent ridge injection molding leaves behind......it just does not seem appropriate for such a beautiful guitar. So, after looking at Colosi bone pins, my choice is clear. But I am not sure about the exact size of pin needed. I know this post kind of rambles on ( I tend to do that ), but any help as to the pin size needed for a 2013 delux songwriter studio would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered a set for my three month old J45 Custom. I talked to Bob yesterday on the phone and got a saddle and pins. Saddles are a standard size for GIbsons at 2.8" and I believe all the recent Gibsons take the '1T" size pin. This is the third time I've gotten a bridge pin / saddle set from Bob - never had any problems. I use to think it was just the visible mold seam on the plastic pins - but then I came to realize - the problem was that they just didn't look natural because they were plastic. G'Luck!

I just ordered a set for my three month old J45 Custom. I talked to Bob yesterday on the phone and got a saddle and pins. Saddles are a standard size for GIbsons at 2.8" and I believe all the recent Gibsons take the '1T" size pin. This is the third time I've gotten a bridge pin / saddle set from Bob - never had any problems. I use to think it was just the visible mold seam on the plastic pins - but then I came to realize - the problem was that they just didn't look natural because they were plastic. G'Luck!

Thanks for all the information. While the plastic pins certainly do the job, they just don't seem right ( plastic just looks wrong ), the bone or tusk pins with the inlays look so fine. J45 custom....nice. This is quite a cool forum.

1410325634[/url]' post='1562559']

How do you guys feel about the tusq nut?? I have heard differing opinions...

And you'll hear differing opinions here! To me, given the difficulty of replacing a nut - the average person would need to have a luthier or guitar tech do it- and cost, I would not do it unless the original were old and defective. Tusq is a good choice by Gibson and should last a really long time. As far as replacing a perfectly good tusq nit for bone or something else to change or "improve" the tone - don't think even the sharpest dog would be able to tell the difference. G'Luck.

To me bridge pins are more about aesthetics than sound. So just pick ones you like the look of. Personally though I use the Antique Acoustics hard plastic pins.

I agree about the aesthetics. Everything about the SW is just right, except for the pins. Sure, they do the job just fine, but the bright plastic just does not feel (look) right. The antique pins do seem like a nice choice. I did see pins with someone's name on the head, having six letters in my name, I kind of thought about it.......which means total geek. Might as well get a matching Apple phone/watch.

Bought these for my SW, harder than plastic, ivory colored, cheap and better than the original ones and fit perfectly.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/GBABP7/Gibson-Montana-Ivory-Colored-Bridge-Pins.html

Thanks for the link.....very nice looking pins. I figure that I will have this SW for quite sometime, so I might as well just spring for the inlay Colosi pins. Expensive, sure they are - but something I can appreciate every day.

Archived