Gibson Brands Forums

Order of a pedal board

EvoRider

I am setting up a new pedal board and need a little info on how it should be layed out. here is the pedals i have in the order i have them in now.

Gibson SG Standard

polly Tune 2

MXR 78 Distortion

MXR Black Label chorus

MXR EVH Phasor

MXR Carbon copy

MXR Smart Gate

I am running all into the input of my Marshall JCM 2000 half stack. i was hopeing to find out what order the pedals should go in. I have found a lot of different ways and i am confused.... Does my chorus and phasor really need to be ran into my effects loop? i really dont want to fool with the extra cables when setting up stuff for a jam session.

You can run them all in front if you like but using the effects loop sounds best for some effects. Running the modulation/ time based effects in the effects loops puts them after the amps pre amp and so they stay cleaner sounding, you also want to effect the sound of your amps pre amp. I would run the chorus,delay in the effects chain. You could also run the noise gate in the effects chain too. Some like to use two noise gates, putting one out in front and one in the effects loop to look after any noise in both areas.

Guitar - tuner - distortion - phaser ( option 1) - noise gate - amp

Effects loop out- phaser ( option 2) - chorus - delay - noise gate - effects loop in

Note that the phaser you can try in a couple of places, sometimes I like it for solos but just effecting my distortion and boost and not my preamp sound. It does change the sound slightly.

Experiment and see what you like. Also, I still have a few nice tube amps that do not have an effects loop, so then you either put them before or add them at the mixer. Ahhh, its a crazy world we live in, lol.

while there is a certain order, it's not written in stone... its up to personal tastes, what your ears wanna hear.

this is my order in the chain :

TUNER / WAH / BBE SOULVIBE / DELAY / REVERB / BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER.

I use to run everything into the front of the amp, but the delay sounded awful in the front. great in the loop. now i run the tuner / wah / soulvibe into the amp, and the delay / verb & sonic through the loop. for some reason the Soulvibe i think sounds better into the front of the amp rather than the loop.

to some degree it is about what you want to hear....lets take a reverb and a delay unit..

hit an E note to deley to reverb it will sound like an E note echoed in a hall

as appossed to

an E note thru reverb to delay will sound a little more artificial, more synthesized if you will.

Hope I am explaining this right as I am not good with words and the above examples are obviously exaggerated somewhat but you get the idea.

Just like a distorted signal delayed or a delayed signal distorted as to where you place your delay and distortion unit

One of my reason's for running all in front is because i am a lazy. and like to keep everything simple. Because if it is not simple i dont do it.. LOL and reason 2 is one of my small amps (Marshall Class 5 combo) does not have a loop in it and i dont like to mod things. I like to keep my amp as close to stock as possible. I was not sure if the chorus goes before the phasor or vice versa. and i read somewhere that the noise gate goes in front of the modulation pedals. i have always ran the noise gate last in the chain.

I have went thru a lot of different pedals in the last few years and i have narrowed it down to what i really use... and i am trying the MXR thing at the moment. i have just about tried every kind of pedal brand minus botique pedals and i dont have that kind of money.. Andt i found out MXR is made in the USA. Now i did noticed the Black label chorus is made in Tawian. (not sure about the EVH phasor because it is not here yet) that kinda bummed me out but past that it sounds great.

I was just hopeing to find a general direction of what i need to do. thanks for all the replys and help. and Rock On [thumbup]

I am setting up a new pedal board and need a little info on how it should be layed out. here is the pedals i have in the order i have them in now.

Gibson SG Standard

polly Tune 2

MXR 78 Distortion

MXR Black Label chorus

MXR EVH Phasor

MXR Carbon copy

MXR Smart Gate

I am running all into the input of my Marshall JCM 2000 half stack. i was hopeing to find out what order the pedals should go in. I have found a lot of different ways and i am confused.... Does my chorus and phasor really need to be ran into my effects loop? i really dont want to fool with the extra cables when setting up stuff for a jam session.

This is all just fine except I would put the chorus last either before or after the Smart Gate. I've experimented with this and now I think the later in the chain the chorus goes the better (generally). Unless for some reason you find a big difference putting it after the delay.

I really like the modern MXR stuff - I have the 134 Stereo Chorus and the 117 Flanger, want the 10-band eq.

Archived