Gibson Brands Forums

Bracing Tape

IanHenry

Hi,

Having bought my first Gibson acoustic a few weeks ago. a J-15 that sounds absolutely fabulous, I took it to a Luthier for a set up. As he worked on the guitar, he pointed out that there was no "tape" on the bracing. I can't say that I looked to see if there was any on the other J-15's that I tried, so is this normal on this guitar, and is it anything to worry about regarding the strength of the instrument?

Ian

Just did a quick check on my flat tops. Gibson seems to use the fabric strips on hide-glued top bracing, but not on Titebond-glued top bracing, judging from by modern Gibsons. I'm pretty sure the muslin strips were/are just used to hold the bracing in place while the glue sets. Titebond sets almost on contact, while hide glue has to cool to solidify and set. My older Gibsons have a lot of muslin strips on the bracing, depending on how/if the bracing is scalloped at/near the joints.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Neither would I - but what was it good for in the first place, , , keeping things in place ?

Yes, I believe just to give more gluing surface to hold braces in position while the glue hardened. Different from the similar vertical cloth strips used on the sides to reduce the chance of splitting. At some point in the late 1940's, those cloth strips went away and were replaced by small vertical wood braces on the inside. Those have gone away on modern Gibsons, and I suspect the instruments are better for it.

Modern repros like the L-OO Legend have the vertical cloth strips on the sides, as well as the muslin strips over the top x-brace joint.

You would think anything on the inside of a guitar would have a derogatory effect on the sound. I was always led to believe that bracing is only there for strength.

Ian

Generally speaking, I would say you are correct. The bracing gives required stiffness and strength to the parts and the whole. Not coincidentally, the layout and mass of the bracing can have a profound impact on the sound of the instrument.

Bracing also serves to help transmit vibrations across the whole of the soundboard, improving its efficiency as a whole.

When I was taught to make acoustics, we used to use a glue a small (inch long) strip of wood over the top of the X following the direction of the brace that made up the lower half of the notch. We were told that this was the best way of ensuring the joint was as strong as possible and better for the durability of the guitar so preferable to fabric. I doubt either are strictly necessary, just something the tutor thought was a nice touch and a 'better safe than sorry' approach.

Archived