Gibson Brands Forums

Got to try out a 2015 SG Standard at GC

Greg1967

I'm reminded of something I read about the Norlin years and how the ES series was pretty much left alone with all of the screwing around done to the solid body guitars.

So far, it looks like all they've done is lose the nibs, probably changed the fret wire and substituted counter top material for ebony on the top of the line models.

If they put that G-Force on the ES models I'll introduce my vomit emoticon to this site.

You guys are the reason I bought a 2013 Standard. I was very skeptical because the only one I had ever played, in 1984, had terrible action. After reading what CB, CJ, hbomb, capmaster, rabs, etc. had to say about the '13s being back to what an SG should be I decided to try one out. Awesome guitar!!! Thanks guys!

I'm waiting to pounce on a Firebird next. Come on Gibson it's desperation time. Too many 2014 Firebirds out there in stock. Time for the 40% off sale and I don't mean 40% off list!

My cousin got one of those, too. He bought it when they were closing the 2013's out, got it for a good price and was really happy with it.

• 1 month later...

So did I (got to try out), the other day. I couldn't ever get the G-Force on that one, to work... so it went back on the wall. The Les Paul I got to work, it took minutes to tune and habitually had problems with the D, high E and would not stay in tune, after any type of bend.

• 2 weeks later...

The SG is my all time favorite guitar. But I will never touch a 2015. In my mind, Gibson destroyed an iconic guitar. In fact, I will never by any new Gibson anything until they regain their senses and undo all of the idiotic mistakes that they have forced on their customers this year.

• 5 months later...

Archived