Gibson Brands Forums

1993 AJ-35 - Photos Added

soleless shoes

I recently purchased a 1993 AJ-35 in very nice condition… long scale mahogany sloped D with a beautiful top that I believe is Sitka. The label is signed by Ren and John Walker. The tone is very open and warm. It's simply a wonderful guitar. I had never heard of an AJ-35. I understand this was a limited edition. Does anyone have any knowledge of this model? Thanks very much in advance!

I recently purchased a 1993 AJ-35 in very nice condition… long scale mahogany sloped D with a beautiful top that I believe is Sitka. The white label is signed by Ren and John Walker. The tone is very open and warm. It's simply a wonderful guitar. I had never heard of an AJ-35. I understand this was a limited edition. Does anyone have any knowledge of this model? Thanks very much in advance!

Rich

My recollection was that the AJ-35, like a few other models like the SJ-45 and SJ-45 Deluxe, for example, were models that Bozeman was experimenting with, and basically combining certain features of past models. Hence the non-standard naming conventions.

If built by John and Ren, you've likely got a keeper on your hands!

Fred

FWIW, I watched this guitar on ebay - it was first up in August, being sold by a store in PA or thereabouts. I emailed them with the scale length question & they emailed me back that it was short scale. (I then went back to the auction to bid, but by the time they got back to me the latest ebay seller, a one man dealer in Vancouver AFAICT, had pulled the BIN trigger :-(

I say FWIW because the disinterested tone of the response I got from the original store made me feel the info was questionable. If I were you, I would measure the scale length (Modac may be correct IOW).

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General/faq.html#ScaleLength

FWIW' date=' I watched this guitar on ebay - it was first up in August, being sold by a store in PA or thereabouts. I emailed them with the scale length question & they emailed me back that it was short scale. (I then went back to the auction to bid, but by the time they got back to me the latest ebay seller, a one man dealer in Vancouver AFAICT, had pulled the BIN trigger :-(

[/quote']

I wonder who the Vancouver buyer was. No one I know personally, but I have a guess or two.....

FWIW' date=' I watched this guitar on ebay - it was first up in August, being sold by a store in PA or thereabouts. I emailed them with the scale length question & they emailed me back that it was short scale. (I then went back to the auction to bid, but by the time they got back to me the latest ebay seller, a one man dealer in Vancouver AFAICT, had pulled the BIN trigger :-(

I say FWIW because the disinterested tone of the response I got from the original store made me feel the info was questionable. If I were you, I would measure the scale length (Modac may be correct IOW).

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General/faq.html#ScaleLength

[/quote']

The long scale length was the reason this model was called the AJ 35, and not J35, as the J35 had the shorter scale length. That's what is was described as a "hybrid"--the same wood (mahogany/spruce) and scale (short) as the J35, but with AJ bracing. Plus some upgrades.

Red 333

This guitar is definitely long scale with rosewood fingerboard and bridge. There is no fingerboard binding and no burst. The top is beautiful. The guitar was shipped to me from Washington State. I reside just north of NYC.

My wife took a couple of photos this past weekend but they’re not clear… I think the flash. We’re new to digital cameras but I hope to get photos up possibly by this weekend.

Thanks for all the info. This is my first Gibson and first dread in a long time. I’ve been playing primarily a Gallagher GA70 and Martin 00-18 Alpine of late. I’m extremely pleased with this guitar.

• 1 year later...

Very classic looking! If it was in Washington State, I'm sorry I never got to play it while it was out here!

All my Gibsons are bursts, but I'm getting attracted lately to those plain topped J-35s.

I like this guitar a lot. It has a wonderful voice and the intonation all the way up the fretboard is very consistent. When I received the guitar it was extremely dry. It took over a month to hydrate… it just kept sucking up water. After several months the fret buzz was still prevalent so I had the nut and saddle replaced, and the frets dressed. It now plays very nicely. This is a very nice guitar and my main acoustic.

Archived