Gibson Brands Forums

Let's See Your Favorite Strap

DenverSteve

After my first ridiculously psycho-infantile contribution, it's time to pay the thread respect and post a strap, , , , , , for guitar.

My 2 favorites are traditional Lakota leather ones, a chocolate and a tobacco, but as you probably know the looks of them already, here's my first electric strap from the early 80's.

It's made from 2 belts and the brass-buckle is on the white half -

Unfortunately the white lacquered leather need some careful sewing, but apart from that the thing should be willing and able.

For the triburst Telecaster - Theelectricstrap8gb2.jpg

Hi E-minor7,

No, unfortunately!

It's actually a guitar made by my cousin.

Some years back he made me a 000 acoustic, which was really nice to play.

He had asked me about the acoustics that I liked and I had mentioned in passing Donovan's "Blue Moon" Zemaitis as being one of my favourites.

A couple of years later he asked me to drop by his workshop to come and see some of his new projects.

On the bench was a body with a moon shaped hole!

He was making it for me and he was finalising the neck.

You'll note that the body shape is not typical Zemaitis, it's actually a dreadnought.

A dream come true.

I added the stars - they are actually adhesive type fret board markers from Japan.

The back, sides and neck (and rosette) are English walnut, spruce top and ebony fingerboard.

No, unfortunately!

But it comes pretty close in its own right - even the headstock seems like a Z.

Very nice guitar indeed (Donovans too). You should treat us a sample.

And what a high-end story and class-act from your cousin.

Welcome - enjoy it here

My favorite is this tooled leather strap from Mexico; it's 40 years old or better and my HD-28 has worn it for all of its 36 years. I put it on my J-200 when I got it but it just didn't look right so I had to get a new strap for it, but this one's still my favorite. I like the looks of the the fancy tooled or detailed straps, and unlike fortyyears I've never noticed a problem putting the strap in the case; I just lay it along the strings and close 'er up. I guess I've never had a case with so little padding that it wouldn't give 1/4" inch or so for a strap.

006_zpsc33f3c57.jpg

My favorite is this tooled leather strap from Mexico; it's 40 years old or better and my HD-28 has worn it for all of its 36 years.

Wow - bet those 36 years did some opening up. My D-35 celebrates 30 this year and has mellowed/loosened quite a lot.

But clearly remains a non-scalloped guitar.

But it comes pretty close in its own right - even the headstock seems like a Z.

Very nice guitar indeed (Donovans too). You should treat us a sample.

And what a high-end story and class-act from your cousin.

Welcome - enjoy it here

Thank you. I'll dig out a video sample I made later.

Wow - bet those 36 years did some opening up. My D-35 celebrates 30 this year and has mellowed/loosened quite a lot.

But clearly remains a non-scalloped guitar.

Well, mine is a scalloped guitar of course, and frankly sounded really good from the get go which is why I chose it. But yeah; the years have been good to it.

A couple of quick video samples of the Moon acoustic:

That sounded good - a highly original guitar, , , although we know it's a copy. I don't believe your cousin had the inside blue prints or. .

Will be a thrill to follow as it finds its deeper self.

No, my cousin had no plans to work from.

I had drawn a full sized "version" of the guitar on paper which was based on the dreadnought shape of my 12 string acoustic. It was very much made to be a regular guitar but with the moon sound hole.

There are many differences. Mine is finished in French Polish and it also has quite a fat neck as I struggle with thin neck guitars!

I'm pleased with it and hopefully it doesn't upset Donovan, should he ever get to see it!

Onewilyfool is a the winner up to this point,lol I have a simple black two and a half inch wide levi leather that I like better than any I've had ( no bucles for me thanks, to dangerous on the nitro) but you'll have to use your imagination since I have never figured out how to post pics. At this stage in the game I'm not so sure I could even be taught...lol

I did just get a 'smartphone' turns out it's A LOT smarter than I.

Allie……that strap of mine is brand spanking new!!!

Many thanks....great video!

Here is an interesting video in return that not many have seen:

Plus 1 - but your little film was a hit here. I simply admire the mans touch and sound even in a plain situation like the one in the parlour.

Wonder if he still used silk'n'steel by then. .

Wonder if he still used silk'n'steel by then. .

Good point....the Moon guitar did sound quite mellow edged even though it seemed to be a naturally bright guitar.

Maybe listening to Donovan playing the same Moon guitar during the visit to Danny Ferringtons workshop (his luthier in the USA) in the "Sunshine Superman" documentary DVD might be able to tell us. As I mentioned, he currently uses 11-52 Bronze strings and the Moon guitar does seem brighter on the DVD than it does in that old video footage.

Archived