Gibson Brands Forums

Rotosound strings.

Guitar slinger

I haven't found a thread talking about it, so...

Ok, here's a Harmony central worthy review (it reads: crappy KID who just bought new gear thinks he knows something about life, yeah right)

Today I decided to give it a try as I saw them through the window. I entered the shop and talked to the owner (a friend of mine, actually) and we went on and on about strings and the guys decided that my first rotosound was on the house. I came running back home and played for a few hours. But, honestly, I felt they were different when I was swapping the elixirs in favor of the rotosound. Wen the guitar was ready to go and I played the first open chord (unplugged) I knew my guitar was different.

For better, I can say. Much more clarity, a much more singing tone. Perhaps even a bit too bright for my SG, but decidedly better. I'm not sure if I'll stick to the rotosound yellows that the guy gave me or if I'm gonna try some brand's pure nickel strings - if I ever find one around here.

I'm gonna try it more during the next few days and I'll be able to talk about durability and other stuff.

By the way, I was using elixirs because the guitar would stand in the case unplayed during my trip to the beach =)

I find the Ernieballs much better than the elixir when it comes to tone.

Any of you guys ever gave it a try?

i know that back in the day jimi used rotosounds but my dad and i thought they didn't make guitar strings any more, only bass strings (he uses rotosounds on his bass's). i would definately want to try some out though, they sound cool enough. i'm currently using ernie ball extra slinkys or something (pink pack, size 9).

as for all nickel strings ernie ball makes some, they call them rock n roll strings or something. what is the point of having all nickel? how is it different?

as for all nickel strings ernie ball makes some' date=' they call them rock n roll strings or something. what is the point of having all nickel? how is it different?[/quote']

Not sure because I never played them yet. But specialized opinion says it has a mellow sound (what I could prove in acoustic guitars) and that it's more friendly to the frets - less abrasive to frets.

No irregular wear. All this hoopla about nickel steel string is just that ...hoopla.

I doubt many non gigging people play one guitar enough to wear out the frets.

And some giggers(lol) here have been playing their black Custom for a long time without a re fret.

And he's a cheap b@stard when it comes to strings.

right Rich?

I used Rotosound guitar strings back in the late 70's when I was playing mostly rhythm guitar in a fusion band. The set came with a plain AND a wound third. I used the wound third for the eveness of tone and balance for all the chording I was doing. I thought they sounded fantastic.

Always used them, always liked them, and could buy them everywhere. Problem was, I parked the guitar for years, when I came back I put on the last set I had in my case, I went out to buy some more and what do you know, I can't find them anywhere which is a pity. Only seem to be Bass strings available. They really seem to have dropped off the radar.

They are Nickel Steel' date=' but I love them.

[img']http://images.miretail.com/products/full/DeanMarkley/632866088039229986.jpg[/img]

No irregular wear. All this hoopla about nickel steel string is just that ...hoopla.

I doubt many non gigging people play one guitar enough to wear out the frets.

And some giggers(lol) here have been playing their black Custom for a long time without a re fret.

And he's a cheap b@stard when it comes to strings.

right Rich?

You know the drill. =P~

WebStrings.com

Archived