Gibson Brands Forums

One cord blues

jaxson50

Well, any chord which is built only with notes entirely from the scale of the key and mode could be said to be part of the melody, lick/riff as you put it. Semantics aside, there was a 3 chord and a 4 chord played...

...and if not played, implied. Any key/tonal center has seven modes and will harmonize with seven chords. This is the concept behind modal music.

Nice playing Farns!

I suck at this computer link videos thingy.

I put these 3 versions of "Hip Shake" to show what and where the "LaGrange" comes from. As you can see, everyone plays it a little differently. But that doesn't really change it.

Perhaps one can see where "riffs" become "chords", depending on how you play it or your view.

BUT...it is traditional in Blues to recognize where something comes from, or to know what you are playing in a sense. Whether you are playing it different, stealing it, or even changing it.

With Blues, it IS common to use exactly the same "tune" for different songs. It's more rare that one song (like "Hip Shake") to become well known and played by everybody than it is for the same riff or chord progression to be used by different people for different songs.

Also, common to straight up steal. Like "La Grange". It isn't considered "stealing" where Blues is concerned.

Many, if they don't call this riff hip shake, call this a one-chord-boogie. I'd guess it's the most common name for it. I wonder how many Blues tunes were written based on this?

Many, including me, also consider Hookers stuff and HIS riff(s) to be the same thing. Look at how close that "Tupelo" riff/chord is to "Boom Boom", AND a lot of his other stuff.

I got to watch this guy back in '64 up pretty close.

His version of Baby Please Don't Go is kinda common in terms of what I was hearing back then from some of the old black guys and the younger white folks trying to do close copies 'stedda making a direct "turn it into rock" version.

Basically the lyric is all on one "chord" (note the open turning of the 9-string guitar) - then the instrumental "in-between" hits 1-4-5 as in a more "typical" 12-bar piece.

Bottom line as I've noted through the years is that "blues" is so broad a term as to be almost impossible to define even as "life" in an amoeba can't be dissected along with bits of chemical and structure.

For fancier pickin', let this play out, then listen to "left me a mule to ride." Interesting.

*** Stein: take off the "s" in https in the address and you'll get the vid showing up here, otherwise it's just the jump.

m

Not bragging, just saying it like it is, I have stood not fifteen feet from John Lee when he played Tupelo, he played one cord, E, he played a G note as a bass line, not a cord.I also spent the afternoon with Mance Lipscomb and watched him play, some of his songs were one cord, but he played octaves on slide. Much of Howlin Wolfs and John Lee's best songs are very simple, one or two cord with no chorus or "turn arounds".

Well, I'm going to nitpick no more. The old blues masters know and can tell us what the blues is. But 12-bar blues is totally unique and that's why I'm such a fan -- you can sit down and play with anybody and know exactly where they're going. Like this sort of upbeat 12-bar piece I multitracked with different natural-sounding synth voices several years ago. I even brought in a little big band sound once it gets going... Is that a great synth lead guitar voice or what?

1417364063[/url]' post='1596723']

Well, I'm going to nitpick no more. The old blues masters know and can tell us what the blues is. But 12-bar blues is totally unique and that's why I'm such a fan -- you can sit down and play with anybody and know exactly where they're going. Like this sort of upbeat 12-bar piece I multitracked with different natural-sounding synth voices several years ago. I even brought in a little big band sound once it gets going... Is that a great synth lead guitar voice or what?

I never intended to suggest you had to do one or the other....just add something more to your box of goodies!And by the way,,,great playing on you link! What guitar are you using?

I can see the "one chord" thing two ways. One is that the basic background accompaniment is essentially grounded at one chord - but that bass lines and vocals add notes that would be technically another chord.

But as I wrote earlier, I think that a technical analysis of "off the top of the head" blues especially of the "old" pickers is never going to really describe what's happening musically, either for the performer or listener.

m

I never intended to suggest you had to do one or the other....just add something more to your box of goodies!

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to say I get what you're saying.

And by the way,,,great playing on you link! What guitar are you using?

Thanks, jaxon. But I'm telling you, I'm playing that guitar "voice" on a keyboard. That whole piece is keyboard playing different tracks into cubase. I've got a much better flute voice now, I might add. [wink]

1417389570[/url]' post='1596902']

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to say I get what you're saying.

Thanks, jaxon. But I'm telling you, I'm playing that guitar "voice" on a keyboard. That whole piece is keyboard playing different tracks into cubase. I've got a much better flute voice now, I might add. [wink]

I got it now,

Archived