Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson les paul classic 2014 vs Les Paul Standard

hoross

Hello everyone there

I have a Gibson Les paul Standard 2008 from 2011 and i was interested to buy a Gibson les paul classic 2014 .

Do you guys here think its worth it or should i keep the les paul standard?

Cause i play 80s glamrockstyle and was wondering if the les paul classic is better then my standard or not?

well

i expect the 57 pickups to be heavier im looking to play heavier things in style of late 80s glamrock style Motley,Gnr,LA Guns,Poison etc... and style of Pantera,Testament etc..

Im not a bluesy guitarplayer im more into heavyness but want also ballads to sound nice and melodic the standard is great but what i heard the classic is very cool too so im wondering.....

Hello!

The `57s are the mildest Gibson pickups around, however they are still very versatile.

I can`t see why the 2008 Standard shouldn`t be good for that genre.

Before purchasing another guitar, You might try different amp/effects settings as well. Horribile dictu, You should swap pickups. In my experience, - for heavier music - the 490R/498T combo is perfect.

Good luck chasing tone!

Cheers... Bence

Hmm.

I have a 2008 Standard (also from 2011 :)) and I have a Classic from 2002...

There are two things you want to consider... The 2008 Standard is chambered where as the Classics are weight relieved... To me I think it makes it slightly more resonant and a tiny bit brighter with the chambering.. And also the other thing is that the Classics come with one of the hottest sets of pickups that Gibson make which yes are really suited to 80s style heavy rock... but as with all good Gibbies, if you play with the controls on the guitar and amp a bit, they are really versatile guitars and you can get a whole bunch of great sounds from them.

I say you need both guitars :P :)

BUT as others have said, if you want a bit more grunt try getting a nice new pedal (like a RAT distortion or something) or a different amp first... Id say if you like the way it plays (the 2008) keep it.. Maybe even just change the pickups out to the 496R and 500T which is whats on the Classic.

Finding guitars that play well is harder than finding ones that sound good.

Also remember.. the 2014 Classic (as Donny will tell you) is a slightly different guitar from previous Classics... Mostly as it has a tone pot missing and a boost switch instead... and you also have the funky 120th fret inlay which personally didn't bother me I thought they looked ok, but a lot of people hated it. If you want a more traditional classic (:)) you want a pre 2014 model.

thank you very much for all your replies

just received my gibson les paul classic 2014 lemonburst and i must say what an amazing guitar love the 60s neck very easy to play a bit heavier then my les paul standard 08 but fits better on me and plays like a dream and indeed the guitar is much heavier.

Im selling my gibson les paul standard 08 cause i cannot afford to have both.

just received my gibson les paul classic 2014 lemonburst and i must say what an amazing guitar love the 60s neck very easy to play a bit heavier then my les paul standard 08 but fits better on me and plays like a dream and indeed the guitar is much heavier.

Glad you are happy with your purchase, HNGD!!!

Pics or it didn't happen [-X

(forum rules :))

You could probably also add a switch or modify a tone pot with a couple of diodes to go with the boost, effectively adding an onboard distortion pedal with independent volume and distortion control. Maybe the signal to the trimpot could be sent to another knob, perhaps a push-pull pot could be incorporated both to control the gain and switch the effect on and off. You could have master volume, master tone, gain, and distortion knobs. Any pair of knobs could be used for the coil split functions, you don't have to wire the switch into the pot at all, in fact, my latest mash-up uses a push-pull as a master volume that independently reverses the polarity of the rhythm pickup, the signal to the pot and from the switch are isolated. Interesting possibilities abound.

Archived