Gibson Brands Forums

Training Your Fingers

MaceWindu57

Hello, I'm new to the guitar, and I'm having difficulties getting my fingers to co-operate with proper placement in the frets so as to avoid touching neighboring strings. My teacher assures me that I'm progressing, but I find myself getting frustrated. Any good advice would be really appreciated!

Hello, I'm new to the guitar, and I'm having difficulties getting my fingers to co-operate with proper placement in the frets so as to avoid touching neighboring strings. My teacher assures me that I'm progressing, but I find myself getting frustrated. Any good advice would be really appreciated!

I think most would agree with me on that — just keep on playing, it will come.

You're not alone! Proper left hand positioning is pretty important. Your teacher ought to be able to help you there. Most electrics have a 1.68 inch nut, which makes for fairly narrow string spacing. I don't know of any electrics with wider string spacing, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some. I like the acoustic EF-500 Masterbilts for this reason - 1.75" nut ==> wider string spacing for us fat-fingered folk.

You're not alone! Proper left hand positioning is pretty important. Your teacher ought to be able to help you there. Most electrics have a 1.68 inch nut, which makes for fairly narrow string spacing. I don't know of any electrics with wider string spacing, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some. I like the acoustic EF-500 Masterbilts for this reason - 1.75" nut ==> wider string spacing for us fat-fingered folk.

Thank you for in information! I now know why it's easier for me on my Yamaha acoustic than my ES-335! Easy is a relative term, I'm still trying to get clean tones on chords-when I can get my fingers on right chords that is! [flapper]

make sure your fingers are between the frets and not "touching" the frets or "over" the fret wire when pushing down the strings. Try to place your finger tips near the "higher" fret on the note(s) your playing, but not "touching" the fret....practice. You'll get better...I need to practice...msp_unsure.gifsad.gif

Practice is, of course, the best and only way really to make this stuff work.

Note too that each instrument "type" is different and so is each player. So the "playing geometry" of each type of guitar for a given player will be somewhat different. That brings different geometry on different instruments and therefore slightly different angles of hand and arm - or a different hold, or...

But... the principles of playing to make stuff work are the same. In theory, at least, that's why you have a teacher to show and guide you.

I don't blame hand size or shape, either. One of the fastest and best pickers I've known in genres played in the mid '60s was an old live radio musician whose fingers were shaped and sized like my thumbs. OTOH, he played a lot on guitar, 4 and 5-string banjo and mandolin.

Again, he played a lot!

m

Hello, I'm new to the guitar, and I'm having difficulties getting my fingers to co-operate with proper placement in the frets so as to avoid touching neighboring strings.

You probably already know this but...

Staying on your finger tips as much as possible helps avoid muting neighboring string.

Of course, this does not mean that you never play with the flat or side of your fingers.(Bar chords, sliding...etc.)

Something that can help you play on your tips is to have the base of your thumb on the back of the neck.

It gives your fingers a further reach and keeps your tips above the strings.

It is very natural for starters to rest the neck in the palm of their hand with the thumb on the top of the neck.

This limits reach and articulation of finger position.

Just another thought,

Willy

It is very natural for starters to rest the neck in the palm of their hand with the thumb on the top of the neck.

...but helps muting the 6th string when you don't want it to ring ;) But I have long fingers, maybe it's the reason I'm not bothered by such thumb position.

You probably already know this but...

Staying on your finger tips as much as possible helps avoid muting neighboring string.

Of course, this does not mean that you never play with the flat or side of your fingers.(Bar chords, sliding...etc.)

Something that can help you play on your tips is to have the base of your thumb on the back of the neck.

It gives your fingers a further reach and keeps your tips above the strings.

Just another thought,

Willy

Willy: Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind this afternoon as I practice the chords and exercises. [biggrin]

Archived