Gibson Brands Forums

A Blue Christmas

Stu-bud

I don't get it.

Install the best sounding speaker, then turn up the distortion...

What is that all about?

REAL distortion comes from the interaction between the output tubes, transformer, and speaker.

Pedals replicate it. Preamp tubes replicate it. But, they don't actually do it.

Put in a speaker that can't handle the full output, but CAN handle the heat dissipation, push the power tubes into it, they break up without getting more volume, and you get distortion. Alnicos reach that point more abrupt than ceramic. And it's bliss.

THAT'S what it's all about!

Well, I installed the speaker, connected the wires (there are of course only 2), and put the rear cover back on (held with 15 long screws), and: No sound. It's not my guitar, cable, board, etc.--I plugged into another amp and it worked. Now why would there be no sound?

Well, I installed the speaker, connected the wires (there are of course only 2), and put the rear cover back on (held with 15 long screws), and: No sound. It's not my guitar, cable, board, etc.--I plugged into another amp and it worked. Now why would there be no sound?

If the speaker works in another amp, but not this one, the speaker is good.

If the amp worked before with a different speaker and now does not, it's something that changed but you don't know what.

Do NOT run the amp without a speaker! You can surely blow the amp. If you got no sound, don't run signal through it.

First, check for fuses.

Trouble shooting is best when done by confirming things work by using other things that work.

If the speaker works in another amp, but not this one, the speaker is good.

If the amp worked before with a different speaker and now does not, it's something that changed but you don't know what.

Do NOT run the amp without a speaker! You can surely blow the amp. If you got no sound, don't run signal through it.

First, check for fuses.

Trouble shooting is best when done by confirming things work by using other things that work.

Thank you. It was the no. 1 preamp socket, I believe. That tube didn't light up when powered. I flicked it with my finger, it came on, amp sounded wonderful. Then volume went away. Tube not lit up anymore. I switched the 2 preamp tubes, and same exact problem. So, not the tube (a nearly new NOS RCA) but the socket or a connection.

Thank you. It was the no. 1 preamp socket, I believe. That tube didn't light up when powered. I flicked it with my finger, it came on, amp sounded wonderful. Then volume went away. Tube not lit up anymore. I switched the 2 preamp tubes, and same exact problem. So, not the tube (a nearly new NOS RCA) but the socket or a connection.

Good news.

You are all over it.

I've got a few 12" Rola Celestions laying around...all from the 70s. All mint...I was thinking about swapping out the 2/12s in my Deville for them. Any thoughts pro or con??

It couldn't hurt to try. It might be great, might not. And that's the ONLY way you will really know- one can make a guess, but guesses don't only count before you try.

On the con side, I don't know that the Deville is able to really do those speakers justice. They are worthy of putting into a better amp. Not that there is anything really wrong with a Deville. It just isn't "the best of the best", so to speak.

If you got the time, it would be a worthy experiement. I'd be curious what it does for it.

REAL distortion comes from the interaction between the output tubes, transformer, and speaker.

Pedals replicate it. Preamp tubes replicate it. But, they don't actually do it.

That is inaccurate at best and a bold-faced lie at worst. Any change in the wave shape is distortion. This technical term and its correct usage predates the electric guitar. Overdrive is another matter, but saying that overdrive is the only 'real' distortion is like saying that the incandescent light bulb is the only real source of light in the universe, and that everything else is only an approximation.

That is inaccurate at best and a bold-faced lie at worst. Any change in the wave shape is distortion. This technical term and its correct usage predates the electric guitar. Overdrive is another matter, but saying that overdrive is the only 'real' distortion is like saying that the incandescent light bulb is the only real source of light in the universe, and that everything else is only an approximation.

Relax!

Everybody understood what he was saying and it was an expression of personal discriminating taste which we all have the liberty to exercise for ourselves...

Being a knit-picking mother hen is at best an annoyance and a bold self-aggrandizement at worst...

Relax, we're all human and have our own desires and personal musical agendas here. Ain't nothin' wrong w/that...

It's all good!

Archived