Gibson Brands Forums

R8 - worth it?

ant7629

Hi all

Some advice please. I am in a position to buy a 2014 R8 from a private collector. It is as new. I already own two traditionals, of which one will be sold, maybe both.

Do you think it would be worth the hassle? Is there really THAT much of a difference to the USA models? Is there anything to watch out for before buying ?

I love fat necks and warm sounding pickups, so I'm guessing the R8 is a good place to start but I love m Traditionals too

Thanks!!

Guest Farnsbarns

There's a good chance that R8 will be a sh!t hot guitar but you simply have to play it, more so with a RI than other production line models. I love mine.

Well I can just give you my experience.

I have owned a Studio for years and it plays and sounds IMO just as good as any Standard or Traditional. Then my friend got an R7 several years ago, which I now own since he passed away. I was with him and helped him pick it out when he bought it. There was "something" about the guitar that put it a notch above the other USA models. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what makes it "better" but it just has a great feel and sound and the craftsmanship is perfect. As soon as we picked that one up we both knew he could not let it go. I can't say if this applies to all Custom Shop Gibsons or if we just got lucky with this one.

But the differences are subtle, so I'm not sure how much this would be worth to you monetarily. I, like you, like the fat necks but not everyone else does. R8s generally have a nice natural looking top (plain top) and IMO that's better looking in some ways than the over-the-top flame on some R9s. So, if the price isn't too ridiculous, I don't think you would regret your purchase. If you could keep one of the Traditionals and then get the R8, that would be ideal. B)

Watch out for your guitar at gigs

watch out for expensive

Hi all

Some advice please. I am in a position to buy a 2014 R8 from a private collector. It is as new. I already own two traditionals, of which one will be sold, maybe both.

Do you think it would be worth the hassle? Is there really THAT much of a difference to the USA models? Is there anything to watch out for before buying ?

I love fat necks and warm sounding pickups, so I'm guessing the R8 is a good place to start but I love m Traditionals too

Thanks!!

If you have the opportunity to play your's side by side, with the R8, that should tell you a LOT!

IF you can't really tell the difference, there's no real reason to spend or trade for it, UNLESS

you're more an "investor/collector" than a player. That might be the only real consideration, if

all other things are more or less "equal"...(Tone, looks, and how it plays). But, only YOU will

know if it's really "worth it!"

CB

Archived