Gibson Brands Forums

Celestion blue problem

turtle

Hey gang, in a previous post on SG I wrote about an SG I aquired with a broken headstock and no hardware. I since fixed and reassembed the SG and it's one of my favs now. Even more than my 58 goldtop ri(smack me) on some occasions. Anyway, the same place I got the SG I found a Celestion blue. It was in the trash like the SG was. I remodel an repair things so I am at "the stage" as I call it.

The Blue doesn't work and wondering what it could e. Looks literally brand new. There is a box in the trash and also found an ISO cab running 2 Blues plugged into a Voc ac30 handwired. Im assuming one blew. But was thrown out just like that. Looks brand new and I know for a fact they just got the cab in the past 6 mos. does anyone know if this is worth repair an what could have blown or broke? Will celestion warranty it? I've always wanted one and I had to take the remains even if broken:(. Help guys :)

Excellent effort on the SG mate, well done. And the Vox is definitely worth the trouble to repair, they're a great little amp. Replace the bum speaker, plug it in, and see how she goes.

Actually just the speaker I got. The vox handwired ac30 is the amp that broke the speaker

New flash! Speaker works and is actually very clear and sounds good. There is a background buzz. Any idea if this is fixable or a recone in order? Thanks guys. Also on worth reconing from riffster--- THe quote I got was $150 done! It sounds like it's working and the buzz in not even that evident on an iPhone recording. Anybody know if this is a sign o a salvageable speaker? Or it's toast. Thanks again :)

The re-cone price sounds ridiculous. A re-cones job around here goes for about $50.

The guy I've used for years is the subject of the linked forum post:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96771.0

IF the "buzz" is really more of a scratching sound, the voice coil and magnet have come out of alignment. There are many reasons this may have happened, from electronic to physical (cabinet was dropped , for instance).

This is a way to relocate/realign the magnet to the voice coil, but it involves a large rubber mallet, and a severe blow (or two) in exactly the right place. This is not an amateur do-it-yourself procedure, so I won't even try to explain the details. Although, I have saved MANY a re-cone fee by knowing this "secret".

Yea, $150 for a re-cone is absolute overkill. it goes around $70 here but I only checked in one place. Nashville seems to have commercial rates on anything related to musical instrument services.

A scratchy speaker can also mean that dust has come inside between the coil and the magnet, there is a trick where they get it out with scotch tape but that's a pro job too.

If it's a "buzz", or flapping sound, it can also be caused by loose dust cap or loose/damaged "surround".

If the glue has come loose on either of these parts it can be re-glued using automotive type "weatherstrip adhesive". This too would avoid the re-cone expense.

There are also "trade secrets" to accomplishing this successfully, but probaby worth a try for anyone trying to avoid paying the "pros".

Sinse we are on the subject, who is THE guy or company for re-coning vintage Jensens?

I know there are lots of competent re-coners out there, but what I am looking for is a true expert who knows vintage Jensens, and essentially has the knowledge and ability to have them sound as they did.

It used to be Weber, but sinse he left us, the younger guys seem to not really want to go that route, but I would say they are still making very good speakers.

Sinse we are on the subject, who is THE guy or company for re-coning vintage Jensens?

I know there are lots of competent re-coners out there, but what I am looking for is a true expert who knows vintage Jensens, and essentially has the knowledge and ability to have them sound as they did.

It used to be Weber, but sinse he left us, the younger guys seem to not really want to go that route, but I would say they are still making very good speakers.

You can try Tony VanNote. He has been doing speaker repair for decades and has very many vintage and NOS parts in stock.

Most of all though - he is as honest as the day is long and will not blow any 'vintage' smoke up your A$$!

His website and contact is: Vin-Tone

Tell him JoeVacc sent you. ;~)

Good luck,

jv

You can try Tony VanNote. He has been doing speaker repair for decades and has very many vintage and NOS parts in stock.

Most of all though - he is as honest as the day is long and will not blow any 'vintage' smoke up your A$$!

His website and contact is: Vin-Tone

Tell him JoeVacc sent you. ;~)

Good luck,

jv

Thanks for that...might shoot him an email.

Don't really see a lot of info on the website, but what I do see kinda makes me think he might be the guy. What I don't see though, is where he is. But I suppose that doesn't really matter, does it?

Thanks for that...might shoot him an email.

Don't really see a lot of info on the website, but what I do see kinda makes me think he might be the guy. What I don't see though, is where he is. But I suppose that doesn't really matter, does it?

Tony is in New York near Woodstock. I don't want to publish his address here because his shop is at his house… He has told me that he wants to update that website but he is kinda old school.. Not old though! hahaha

Ciao,

jv

Archived