Gibson Brands Forums

Re:open mic crash and burn!

onewilyfool

Good on you o-w-f for getting up there in the first place... [thumbup]

Many excellent musicians are crippled with stage fright... :blink:

You have hardly scratched the surface...many open-mic-ists do 4 a week... [woot]

Suggest going to different venues with different hosts

Tell jokes...chat to the audience...use the host as a support...

Get chatting with fellow micers on arrival

Congratulate other performers and build a circle of friends to support you

Many people like to hear new songs

Sing every day loudly to keep the vocal chords toned up

Enjoy

V

:-({|=

PS....Make sure you sing in a favourable key (all my Beatles covers have to be adjusted)...Capo is King... [thumbup]

I agree with most everything that's already been said here...

For we non-professionals, performing can be an important part of our playing arc--I never really did it until the last 5 or so years, even though I've been playing for more than 50 years now. Sometimes, I just love the songs I know; sometimes, I am intrigued by songs I've written. And making music for other people--strangers, even--has become a way for me to stay honest. Performing regularly gives me more guts than I had before, no matter how awesome or how lame (or how average) I rate myself on a night-by-night basis.

You make mistakes--wrong song, wrong key, wrong verse, etc.--but you press on, because at an open mic, most people appreciate the honest effort at doing a hard thing, in front of people. It's not a Wallenda act, but not everyone can imagine even taking such a bold step, so soldiering through any rough spots with humor and a shrug is usually the key to a win-win situation. No one wants to watch you turn to goo, but if you let them know you're all right, they'll be on your side.

My deal is, I know I'm inviting people to give me their time; if they give it, then my job is to give them an honest return--they may not like my music or my performance or my voice, but I'll give them what I got and respect our bargain. I am never the most talented person to take the stage, but I am never the least, either. And no matter how prepared I am, mistakes will happen. No big deal.

Here, for a prime example, is a cut from an open mic several years ago--me, tackling Tecumsah Valley with my little voice and big guitar, while folks are talking away. Missed a couple of things, smiled and shook it off. I had fun, and I had several people make a point after to tell me how much they love that song and how glad they were to hear it.

http://youtu.be/pDn_Vj1UOyY

All in all, a fair deal...Hang in there, WIley. Nerves can be wrangled and put to good use. Have fun. Play the music. It's all good.

Another point to consider:

The old saying: "Just Do It!" [biggrin]

Get up and do a few tunes and you will have another story to tell, but sit and be that wallflower and no story.

I did everything backwards - I started playing gigs before I could play properly and now when I can play a bit I don't gig! But I have a zillion stories from the gigs I did!

I am a fairly introverted and shy person, possibly with wallflower tendencies, but that and guitar playing don't go together AT ALL, so in the past we have gritted the teeth and done it - and it never gets easier I can tell you, but...what fun! That's what it is all about.......

BluesKing777.

Yesterday I played at the local cafe, no amp, no mic, ……no problem…... at all….lol…..it's amazing how a mic, and an amp, and having everyone looking at you on a stage changes things…..lol…..It is more fun. I remember when I did some video for you tube….when that little red light goes on, things tighten up…..it's so funny how the experience changes from the sofa to the stage…lol…why should that be???

Yesterday I played at the local cafe, no amp, no mic, ……no problem…... at all….lol…..it's amazing how a mic, and an amp, and having everyone looking at you on a stage changes things…..lol…..It is more fun. I remember when I did some video for you tube….when that little red light goes on, things tighten up…..it's so funny how the experience changes from the sofa to the stage…lol…why should that be???

It's the difference between "playing" and "performing", I think.

The fact you recognize this, even as a recording is being made, suggest the performer in you.

First of all, congrats on having the courage to get on stage. There are allot whom will never get up there and will share advice with you, be discerning.

I have come to understand over the years that practice is linked to successful performances. I just don't mean lets get together and jam, I mean a well thought out set list. Be it 3 songs or 30, it doesn't matter. Rehearse your breaks, rehearse your intro and outro, rehearse your dialog to introduce the song. I have played with many who will say exactly the same introduction to the same song in every concert they perform. I mean verbatim, like a script, it is just one thing a pro will do.

I have and still rehearse with my sound system so my live sound will be the same as when in practice, to including rehearsing in front of a mirror. Video taping yourself is huge as well. It depends on how serious you are about it. I am very serious about being successful, and this is in anything I do.

I don't do the "verbatim" thing as much, but it is damn close. When I have my sets down, I can and have made it through many distractions because of it. Like a pretty lady grabbing your leg as she walks by... Talk about throwing you off your game! If you prepare you will be much less nervous, and then you will own the stage. Sometimes, a performer will be marginal in some way, but he or she will overcome the deficiency by charisma, or sheer determination.

Oh and requests, if you don't play it well, it is much better to decline playing it. At least I will not play anything I cannot play with excellence. That however is just me and if the shoe doesn't fit you that is OK too.

Just my .02 cents. Play On and one last thing, if it's not fun don't do it. Like Tom Russell says, "What the world needs is people that have come alive!" See the link below...

https://www.facebook...&type=2

GT

Archived