Gibson Brands Forums

I Think I Spotted My First Chibson?

L8_4thesh0w

At a pawn shop with a $699 price tag. So light it felt like it was made of Balsa wood. Serial # 92733544

My L6-S outweighed it by at least 3 to 1.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. Note the dot in the logo and brass truss rod cover plate. Couldn't get a decent shot of the neck.

This thing looked and played like doodie.

post-66103-046101600 1420886029_thumb.jpg

post-66103-026972300 1420886050_thumb.jpg

I think you spotted your first Les Paul Studio Lite. The logo is correct. The TRC is probably aftermarket. It was probably replaced at the same time the hat knobs were replaced and the pickguard was removed. It's light because it has a balsa core. It plays like crap because it looks like it was probably treated like crap. Sorry!

I think you spotted your first Les Paul Studio Lite.

Thanks for the schoolin. This thing was beat. The stop bar screws weren't seated and the action was pitiful.

I just didn't think one would be so light after hearing everyone complain about how heavy they are.

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks for the schoolin. This thing was beat. The stop bar screws weren't seated and the action was pitiful.

I just didn't think one would be so light after hearing everyone complain about how heavy they are.

Stop bar screws shouldn't necessarily be seated. They are often set to a height.

I agree it sure looks like a Studio Lite...however, you really can't tell that era from a "Standard" one from the pic...especially when it has been modded a little to look more average?

I don't remember what all color combos and trims they all had, but I weakly suspect this has different trim than what we see. Don't take that to the bank.

There ARE some folks who like them, genuinely or as a novelty, but for the most part, they aren't that popular. I think the price tag here is a little on the high side.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have never seen a Gibson that has the dot over the 'i" blended in with the capital "G". If you compare it to the logo at the upper left hand corner of this forum page. The text format is not close. I could be wrong, but I am real skeptical.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have never seen a Gibson that has the dot over the 'i" blended in with the capital "G". If you compare it to the logo at the upper left hand corner of this forum page. The text format is not close. I could be wrong, but I am real skeptical.

83432fe0.jpg

Like this? My Les Paul Lite.

Guest Farnsbarns

Wow, it would have been quicker to research than it was offer the misinformation as a theory. :D it's OK, it is one of several iterations of Gibson's logo.

Isn't that an 80s 90s cheaper bargain Les Paul? I remember those.

Yea..more or less.

They were "studios", and they did cost less.

They also often came with some really nice trim and color combos, like MOP gauards and things like that. Black hardware, stuff like that. Basically, non-typical colors and trim.

"Alternative" Les Paul?

Thanks for all the great info, folks. Your knowledge is the reason I like to hang out here! After trying it out it just seemed sort of wimpy.

I assume it has to do with the tonewoods, or lack thereof, even though it might play very well if some more money was put into it.

I would want to put it back to stock condition. I know I should have taken more pics. The bridge pup, bridge and stop bar were raised very high.

The finish is very dull and the owner must have played mostly lead, with his hand resting on the stop bar because half of the gold finish is gone.

The serial number puts it at Sept. 30, 1993. I'm thinking I might offer $450-$500 if it has a case, which I forgot to ask about.

ϵβ

Thanks for all the great info, folks. Your knowledge is the reason I like to hang out here! After trying it out it just seemed sort of wimpy.

I assume it has to do with the tonewoods, or lack thereof, even though it might play very well if some more money was put into it.

I would want to put it back to stock condition. I know I should have taken more pics. The bridge pup and saddle and stop bar were raised very high.

The finish is very dull and the owner must have played mostly lead, with his hand resting on the stop bar because half of the gold finish is gone.

The serial number puts it at Sept. 30, 1993. I'm thinking I might offer $450-$500 if it has a case, which I forgot to ask about.

ϵβ

That price sounds about right.

I am just going by unreliable memory, but it seems that guitar would have come as it is, except cream pup rings and gaurd. The pups may even be correct, or stock, origonal.

As for the bridge, the gold wears off there pretty easily.

I don't think this guitar would require much money to "restore", if any at all. Elbow grease. Adjustments, action.

As for "tonewoods", yea, that's kinda questionable ain't it? They used good wood, just NOT your typical Les Paul wood. I don't know what this guitar is made of, but the "chromyte", or balsa wood as a tonewood in some of those is an interesting novelty. To spite them being "cheap", they were more expensive to make, and not really worth the effort. It all comes down to what it sounds like, doesn't it?

Archived