Gibson Brands Forums

The Drugs Don't Work on a Gibson!

GuitarLight

Misleading thread title- Expecting to see the findings of an experiment where drugs were administered to a poor, unsuspecting Gibson via the beta testing of a new product, StoneRite. This could help the guitar blend in better in a band where the piano had been drinking. Instead, as it turns out, a sneaky Mr Guitar Light merely wishes to provide some examples of two guitars which are typically considered underdogs being put to good use. In this case; a Norlin-era square shouldered J-45, and an Epiphone EJ-200. Well, alright then.

Interesting - 2 with a J-45 with the large pick guard, and once with a 2 ribbon J-200. Magnificent sound out of those last 2 clips.

Yes that j-45 in the first and second clips left me a bit uncertain as to what it was...but you have confirmed that it is a j-45..thanks for confirming it....it may be my eyes but it appears to be more dread shaped with square shoulders, or perhaps not? I'm used to seeing the round shoulder J-45's and I may be on the market for one eventually. But their sound is most appealing to me.

Misleading thread title- Expecting to see the findings of an experiment where drugs were administered to a poor, unsuspecting Gibson via the beta testing of a new product, StoneRite. This could help the guitar blend in better in a band where the piano had been drinking. Instead, as it turns out, a sneaky Mr Guitar Light merely wishes to provide some examples of two guitars which are typically considered underdogs being put to good use. In this case; a Norlin-era square shouldered J-45, and an Epiphone EJ-200. Well, alright then.

62burst...thank you very much for the Norlin J-45 identification...and ALSO for bringing to my attention the Epiphone EJ200 in the third clip!!!!..believe it or not...I did not even notice it!!!.... and posted it thinking it was a Gibson!...sorry about that! I should have looked closer, but I am so involved in the process of studying so many different versions of this song that it passed my eye. I intend to cover this song publicly in the coming summer months. Not sure which guitar I'll use...I have my Hummingbird..and other guitars as well, but I prefer a round shoulder J-45 for this piece as it feels more right for this, but don't presently have one. Oh well... Thanks again!

Question I have is, can you expect the acoustic sound to reflect videos 1 & 3, where the guitar has one of those feedback-eliminating plugs in the hole? It seems the important question regarding the sound there would be which pickups were used to achieve that plugged-in sound? Strictly my amateur observation. Please enlighten me.

Question I have is, can you expect the acoustic sound to reflect videos 1 & 3, where the guitar has one of those feedback-eliminating plugs in the hole? It seems the important question regarding the sound there would be which pickups were used to achieve that plugged-in sound? Strictly my amateur observation. Please enlighten me.

Even if that wasn't the case it'd be futile to assume that just because you bought a guitar that was the same as someone else's that you'd immediately sound like them.

Strings , plectrums , lightness of attack , age of guitar, setup , blah blah blah . list is endles .

Even if Richard Ashcroft would give me his guitar , I still wouldnt sound like his playing.

Well, the 3rd video just sounds like piezo to me. You can slap a decent piezo pickup in just about anything and tweak the EQ to get a sound like that.

In the 2nd one, I see a mic in front of the guitar, but I think it's also plugged in.

In the 1st video, I can't even hear the guitar.

Great song, though--I always liked these guys! And I too was totally confused by the square-shoulder J-45. :)

Archived