Gibson Brands Forums

New Humidifier Option--Humitar

gov

To start, I have ZERO affiliation with the product and company I'm about to beam about....

Like many of you, dry winters has been a giant PITA for me over the years and I've always found it a chore to keep up with my acoustics during this season. At various times, I've used oasis case humidifiers, planet waves sponges, drugstore sponges in soap cases, Arion case humidifiers, herco, humidipaks and those kyser sound hole covering humidifiers. None managed to get my case anywhere near even 40% even when using multiple combinations of the previous mentioned. I was on Amazon recently and saw these new Guitar Nomad Humitar for $14 bucks which claims to have a new/different type of sponge material that is better and holds water longer. Took a flyer and for the first time in a long time, my three cases where these were in use are up to 45% and staying there. I've only wet the sponge once and it lasted a week so far with no drop in humidity. To be fair, I am still using an Oasis Case + Humidifier with this but I can say with certainty that it's the Nomad making the difference. Thinking of taking out everything else to see what happens but haven't yet.

SERIOUSLY impressed....anyone else using these?

Link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKAQGTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, but I'm interested! When I can keep the humidity at 35% and above, I leave the guitars out with the Kysers in the soundhole. If it's 35% or below, into the cases they go. I keep the Keysers in their soundholes in the case, and I also have an Oasis up at the headstock, and I have one of those clay humidifier deals in each of the case compartments. Using three like that, it seems to keep humidity between 45 and 50%, depending upon how much central heat I'm using and how much furnace humidifier I can use without it making the house get steamy (and eventually moldy).

Anyway, might have to try these. Some of my Oasis humidifiers have about given up the ghost.

I think you're right, Dan, although it looks like these open up so you can easily check the sponge, unlike the Planet Waves ones.

I was going to order one, but shipping kills the deal. I was hoping it would just be the regular free Amazon shipping. Darn. I will still get one soon. Maybe my local store has them.

Ths looks closely related to the Planet Waves drop-in but with a higher capacity synthetic sponge. Am I wrong? Wonder if there s a source of sponges somewhere that one could tim to fit the soon to be unused Planet Wves dop-ins.

www.cbs46.com/story/269907/sponge-king

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=140&idproduct=2608

Hi, thanks for the information. Just received mine this morning. Here's a hint: I followed the instructions letting the new dry hard sponge in warm distilled water for about 10 minutes until it gets soft... to discover that it absorbed only about 6 cc of water so I was a little disapointed. After putting this thing in my SW I had the idea to take the sponge out and this time squeezed it hard and then put it back in water to discover that now it was able to absorb almost 20 cc...I squeezed it a little to get rid of excess and put it back in my SW but not between the third and fourth strings as suggested but between the first string and the soundhole.

I keep using Oasis in my two other acoustics but this thing can absorb much more water.

Winter is staying steadily very cold and dry this year in Quebec so much care is needed to keep these acoustics in good shape.

Just remember that with any sponge type of humidifier, if you let it get dry, the sponge will start sucking the moisture back out of the guitar. That's what sponges do.

I use an Oasis that crumples up when it gets dry and does not draw any moisture from the guitar.

Just coming back to this thread...a few comments from even more time with these.

First off, these are much larger than the planet waves--not in a bad way either. the sponges are bigger, the humidifier itself feels far more sturdy (for whatever that's worth) and the hinged lid is nice to be able to check on the sponge.

With three in use I can safely say these easily trump any of the other options mentioned above. they last about twice as long as the oasis plus case humidifier (maybe even 3x more than the regular one), and maybe 4x longer than the planet waves which I found I needed to refresh every 2 days when it was really dry.

still seriously impressed...

Wow! I really need to try these. I hate constantly having to refill. I find using oasis, herco and keyser sound hole, I have to refill oasis about weekly, maybe two weeks, herco every two weeks and keyser about weekly. This is when using them all together, or Id have to be refilling the keysers more than weekly. Sounds like these ones really last!

Archived