Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Solid Formed Archtops

RevDavidLee

I had a H575 from back in like 98ish or so.. traded it a few years later for "something else".. (it's essentially an ES175) all things considered a pretty nice jazz box. The natural flamed maple finish was gorgeous build quality was quite nice on the "one" I had. (I guess they have consistency problems like everyone else.)

I actually don't even remember if it had a scarf joint or not.. they come,, they go... hard to keep track.

pickups could-a been better.. at the time, they were using Schaller's for their stock pickups, the soon after switched to Seymore Duncan.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not good experience at all. The dealer that was pimping them eventually put all of his Heritage stock up for like another 40% off retail, even 50% at the end, so he could get them out of his store.

Could have been a bad time for them, could be the way they do stuff all the time, I don't know.

"Rising tongue"s, that is, the finger board coming up at the neck/body join, was the main problem... After that was neck twists, probably half of his stock ended up back in for twisting necks, all were skinny e side of the nut moving back, heavy e side moving forward. Weird that, but there it was.

I patiently play any Heritage anyone has, nod my head and make nice sounds about it. I don't care who makes them, I don't care where they make them, I don't care how much Orville DNA is sprinkled on each one, I wouldn't give you a hundred bux for ten of them has been my experience.

I think you could find a LOT of former Gibson dealers that could report the same problems with Gibsons. I saw twisted necks in the first two 335s I tried to purchase from GC. I have no personal experience with Heritage, but I've talked to a lot of experienced guitar players who rave about them.

I wonder if dealers can return guitars with problems like twisted necks. A guitar with that issue ain't worth a plug nickel.

I think you could find a LOT of former Gibson dealers that could report the same problems with Gibsons. I saw twisted necks in the first two 335s I tried to purchase from GC. I have no personal experience with Heritage, but I've talked to a lot of experienced guitar players who rave about them.

I wonder if dealers can return guitars with problems like twisted necks. A guitar with that issue ain't worth a plug nickel.

While I have to agree with you completely about Gibson, and I have to agree that the people I know that use Heritagii rave about them as well.

But, big big but here, in my whole life since 1971 I've never seen a Gibson with a lifting fingerboard, and I've only ever seen one or two with a twisting neck. Also, nobody I grew up guitar with had one that did either thing, and nobody in my gigging life ever had such problems.

At one point in my life, late 90's, 80% of Heritage guitars I ran into had these problems. It may have been a bad time, and that shop may have been doing something wrong, but I don't think they were. Something was definitely up at that time.

And they were mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll give a shout out to Schaller for making such dismal pickups. Them things were just bad. Don't know what they are doing these days, but that was not a good time.

rct

Archived