Gibson Brands Forums

Impressed with the Baggs Anthem pickup I installed in my Hummingbird

kebob

Installed a LR Baggs Anthem pickup system in my Hummingbird over the weekend. It had the factory installed Baggs Element in it previously, but it always sounded thin and quacky to me. Over the years I've tried many different types of pickups -- after dialing in the Anthem system, it is the most natural sounding pickup I've tried. Impressed with it. Did the install myself -- not too difficult.

Installed a LR Baggs Anthem pickup system in my Hummingbird over the weekend. It had the factory installed Baggs Element in it previously, but it always sounded thin and quacky to me. Over the years I've tried many different types of pickups -- after dialing in the Anthem system, it is the most natural sounding pickup I've tried. Impressed with it. Did the install myself -- not too difficult.

was this the sl or the tru mic

Funny, I was just thinking about what I should do with the pickup in my Hummingbird. Timely post.

Did the Anthem come with a new under saddle pickup? If so, is it different than the factory one already in your guitar? If so, did you have to swap that out or could you just leave the original one in?

Did you look at other pickups like the K&K?

Must be the season for 'bird owners to review their pickups!! Been thinking about completely removing the Baggs Element from mine, and going without! Can't help but think that UST wedged between the saddle and timbers must have a negative impact?

If there was a drop in performance with an undersaddle pick up then I seriously doubt that the major builders would keep fitting them.

I understand the purity of an acoustic instrument and folk wanting all electronics out of a tradional instrument , but I seriously doubt it has much of an impact on the sound.

To answer a few of the above questions based on my experience:

1) I haven't notice a volume drop or any change in tone with my unplugged Hummingbird -- that was one concern I had read about -- turned out to be not anything I've noticed. FWIW -- the system does not add a lot of weight, all the components are very lightweight.

2) I installed the full Anthem (tru-mic and the element undersaddle). If you already have an Element UST installed, you have to pull it out and install the full Anthem. The Element UST is the same.

3) I wanted to install the Anthem in my J100 xtra or possibly SJ-200 but the bracing around the soundhole does not allow for the full anthem's preamp to fit very well so I installed in the Hummingbird. Install was simple, especially if you already have the end pin drilled (I did). Baggs recommends a pro install, but I'm comfortable enough installing pickups and this was no problem.

There is a mic output trim that is critical to get the best results. Once you set it where you like it, you leave it. Turn the blend control to full mic, then roll it back to add some UST until you hit the sweet spot. I'm satisfied, and I'm picky.

I had a K&K mini installed on a D-18V -- did not bond with it. Too midrangy for me. I'm in the minority, I realize as most people love the K&K.

Im looking at the lyric or the anthem sl. No drilling through the bridge with the lyric but I hear that the lyric takes away bass where as the anthem gives you that bass

To me, the more options the better. The Anthem (full or SL) gives you more options than the Lyric. If you're playing in various scenarios (band/solo, etc.) you want options. And I've heard the same thing regarding the extra bass. I can tell you with the Anthem there is no shortage of bottom end.

Archived