Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339

Hydra26

Congratulations, Hydra!

It looks like a beauty. We expect a full report once you've had a bit of time with it. What made you decide to move toward the world of semi-hollows, and why the 339? And were you able to try one out before you bought it, or did you order one sight unseen?

I hope this is the start of a lifetime of great music with the 339!

Ignatius

Hoo boy, you want to hear what passes for logic in my little skull?

I've been wanting an acoustic like a hummingbird. I don't play much acoustic. Certainly not enough to warrant shelling out that kind of money.

My last electric was the wk 43 Explorer with vibrola and 57 Classics. I instantly fell in love with the 57's.

Now my original plan was to get another burst explorer pro. I love the color, the feel of the bound neck, etc and put 57's in it. Then I got a hankering for an acoustic and I got indecisive.

I was shopping around a little and I settled on the 339 because a 335 is a little beyond my means (at least my means in time for my bday) so I figured the nice little something I'd get myself this year would be a 339. I wasn't able to play it anywhere beforehand as it's still not in general circulation yet, but I figured it was less of a bitter pill to swallow than $3k for a 335 if I didn't turn out to like it.

As it turns out, I'm very happy with it. It seems to play effortlessly, rings true and clear unplugged and has no problem getting down and dirty on my marshal rig. What a steal for the $1799 they were selling it for.

Looks kinda' familiar...

es339_01.jpg

You're going to love it. The fact that you can get a Custom Shop Gibson for only $1799 is reason enough to buy one. The fact that it feels fantastic and sounds awesome is just icing on the cake.

BTW, I also recently picked up a week 43 Explorer and have been eyeing a sunburst Explorer Pro. Do you have any distant cousins north of the border?

Hahaha, freaky. Wages being what they are, the 339 was my chance to get a full featured semi hollow for less than a LP Standard. Too bad it wasn't flame top. but I guess that would just be greedy given how nice a guitar I got for the price. I like my burst explorer. A bound neck just feels a little different, but it's a lot of "fancy" in a smll lightweight package. Sounds pretty good too, although my week 43 sounds a lot better (but doesn't look as nice).

My brother just bought a 339 about a month ago & I can only agree with what's already been said. It's a sweeet guitar. Man, I love that smaller body. As you'd expect, it's a tad brighter than a 335. My bro got the 30/60 neck, which, as advertised, is 1/32" rounder than a LP '60's slim/taper. I would've like it better had they used a 335 neck (the 'holy grail' of thin necks for me) but the 339's neck is very 'do-able' & I like thin necks.

The workmanship was flawless. Gibson can be proud of this one. My opinion is based entirely on my bro's 339 (the only one I've seen so far) but I gotta give it two thumbs way up. Man, I want one.

On the MF website they are advertising a ES-359 under 'New Products'. From what I can tell it's exactly like a 339 except is has an ebony fretboard instead of rosewood. I don't see any other differences except that. And, oh yeah, the 359 is $3099 and the 339 is $1799. What's up with that?

On the MF website they are advertising a ES-359 under 'New Products'. From what I can tell it's exactly like a 339 except is has an ebony fretboard instead of rosewood. I don't see any other differences except that. And' date=' oh yeah, the 359 is $3099 and the 339 is $1799. What's up with that? [/quote']

The 355 is essentially an upscale version of the 335 (the middle number seems to indicate the trim level) so it would make sense that the 359 is a fancier version of the 339. As far as the price, that does seem like a pretty big jump, but that just reinforces my opinion that the 339 is underpriced. When a 335 goes for about $2900 up here in Canada (and it's a regular production model) I don't understand why a slightly smaller Custom Shop version goes for $1799. Oh well, all the better for me.

Boy, when I bought mine I knew they'd be coming out with a figured top version sometiem soon but I bought it anyway. I just choked when I saw the preorder price, 2,859.00 USD for the same guitar with a flame maple finish. wow, it looks a little bit nicer, but boy, what a non-value.

Oh, the differences I can see on the 359 just from the one photo:

gold hardware, multi-ply binding, bound headstock, block inlays, split diamond headstock inlay, grover tuners, black speed knobs.

looks fancier. Not a big fan of grovers or speed knobs. Grovers are heavy, and speed knobs, well that's just aesthetic. Given the price on a plain top 339, neither of these two new variants, while prettier, seeem worth the extra price to me.

I also heard about the flame top version before I bought mine, but I was almost positive it was going to cost hundreds more. I decided to snap up a plain top version while I had the chance, rather than wait and find the figured version was too much of a price jump and then be too late to get a plain one anymore. They're available at any Gibson dealer in Canada, but there's a long wait.

Plus, I've said it before but I'll say it again. I have a feeling that within a few months the price on the regular ones is going to go up to be more in line with a Custom Shop instrument, especially after seeing the price of the figured version and the 359.

Probably true enough. I picked up a 4 channel amp head (different brand) last fall. My buddy got interested in getting one too now. Come to find out, they released a two channel version that had most of the same features. When we went to check prices the 2 channel version was $100 more. Wow, that's dumb, we thought. Then a few days later we see they bumped up the price on the one I got. Figures.

• 2 weeks later...
Well' date=' I actually went out and bought a not-pointy guitar.

My first entry into the world of semi-hollow bodies. ES-339. I'm diggin it.

[img']http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/Hydra26/Music/DSC00065.jpg[/img]

That is a CS-336; a smaller semi-hollow body than an ES model. It may sound brighter than a conventional ES-335, because of the smaller body. I have a ES-347, a discontinued version, but more similar to the CS-339 in finish. Your guitar is more like the finish level of the ES-335, with dot-inlays. You will still dig it....like they use to say "It's a Gibson"!

Hey qblue--

I think you are confusing the ES-339 and the CS-336. They are two different guitars (with very different pricetags). Hydra has the ES-339; it is a small version of the ES-335 that aims to preserve the 335 sound in a smaller-body package. As someone else mentioned in another thread, the CS-336 is a carved top guitar closer to a chambered Les Paul. Both of them have the same body outline and f-holes, but the 339 is a semi-hollowbody, while the 336 is probably technically a chambered solid body with f-holes. The difference sounds minor on paper, but I think it creates a fairly large difference in terms of sound.

The CS-336 is quite a bit more expensive than the 339, and as of last word, the 339 is only available form GuitarSale.com and various Guitar Center subsidiaries (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, etc.). The CS-336 is available from any authorized Gibson dealer who deals with Custom Shop guitars.

Ignatius

That is a CS-336; a smaller semi-hollow body than an ES model.

Are you saying Hydra's guitar is a CS-336? It is actually an ES-339, identical to mine (also pictured above). The 336 is fairly different guitar.

EDIT: Just saw Ignatius' post that went up while I was typing...

what he said.

Sweet!

lkmuller, it's a great feeling pulling one out of the factory carton, ain't it? I don't even mind the occasional adjustments I have to make knowing it's not been battered hanging on a wall in some GC by kids who have no intention of buying it but get a kick out of damaging them and running out of the store.

Honestly, I don't think I'd buy a 336. They're probably great guitars, but I guess I kinda fail to see the point now that there's another small hollow body. If I was going to spend that kind of money I'd rather get a realy nice 335 or a R8. Just personal preference.

Honestly' date=' I don't think I'd buy a 336. They're probably great guitars, but I guess I kinda fail to see the point now that there's another small hollow body. If I was going to spend that kind of money I'd rather get a realy nice 335 or a R8. Just personal preference.[/quote']

The 339s seem like terrific guitars, but I believe you'd see the point of the 336/356 if you tried one. My 356 is a phenomenal guitar. Different strokes/folks.

To Ignatius, et. al.:

So this ES-339 is not on the Gibson website, but is a custom made to sell @ Guitar Center and other outlets. So how does Gibson justify this? Us guitar junkies and droolers can't even get any information on it, but its money in the bank for mother Gibson.

Where can anyone get info on this interesting variant? Other than @Guitar Center?

To Ignatius' date=' et. al.:

So this ES-339 is not on the Gibson website, but is a custom made to sell @ Guitar Center and other outlets. So how does Gibson justify this? Us guitar junkies and droolers can't even get any information on it, but its money in the bank for mother Gibson.

Where can anyone get info on this interesting variant? Other than @Guitar Center?[/quote']

Hey qblue--

With the reshuffling of pages and the developing new layout on the Gibson site, it has been hard to find info on the 339, but here is what you do: go to the Gibson "Products" page, but DON'T click on the "Electric Guitars and Basses" link on the left-hand side of the page, even though that seems logical. Instead, click on "Gibson Micro Sites" (found at the bottom of that left-hand list), and then scroll down to the "Electric Spanish" banner, and click on that. The first guitar that comes up when the new site opens is the ES-339, and you can then do comparisons there with all the other ES models. To make life simpler for you here is the link to take you straight to ES Valhalla: Electric Spanish Micro Site. Just click anywhere on the 339 body to get more info.

It's a great little site. Unfortunately, some of its links go back to the old info pages, and it is missing a comparison of the CS-336/356 models, which are not ES guitars. I wish they would update the whole works into a unified site that was a bit more intuitive in its connections between Gibson's Memphis Custom Shop and the Nashville Custom Shop.

Ignatius

The 339s seem like terrific guitars' date=' but I believe you'd see the point of the 336/356 if you tried one. My 356 is a phenomenal guitar. Different strokes/folks.[/quote']

Believe me, I'd love to have a 336 or 356. My favorite local shop recently got a Cherry flametop 336 in that's just gorgeous. The problem is it's almost double the price of my 339 ($3099 vs. $1769).

Archived