Gibson Brands Forums

les paul & marshall

the dog

For example, with the 18 watt Marshall type of amp a "Rangemaster" style treble booster will quickly put you into early Eric Clapton territory (ala the Beano album with John Mayall). If you juice the gain, this may be all the pedal you need for classic rock tones with a Les Paul or other humbucker equipped guitar.

Just a few ideas to get you started down the path to pedal whoredom :rolleyes:

Is this the one surf?

rangemaster_zpsnrptxakt.jpg

Is this the one surf?

That is a new reissue. I haven't played it (or an original Rangemaster). There are oodles of clones - it's a very simple circuit - and the box doesn't need to be nearly that big. I've made them and bought them from others. The most recent one I have acquired runs less than $100. Big Knob Pedals makes it (love his stuff and it's reasonable) and I've been very impressed with it. The Analog Man Beano Boost has been raved about on here before. It's a bit more expensive.

IMG_4796_2.jpg

In reply to the OP, I have only ever used a Dunlop Original Wah - other than that it's guitar straight to amp normally. However, recently I purchased a little Fender Passport amp with built in effects. I love the tremolo sound it produces and use this quite a bit now, I'm even thinking of buying a tremolo pedal. As for amps, I always used Marshall when I was younger, but a few years ago really got turned onto Fender amps - especially the old tweed ones. The cleans are amazing and they have a different vibe to Marshalls and look so great too! Still love Marshall, but my only tube amp is a Fender at the moment.

It used to be considered back in my day (the '70s) a real art form being able to just use the vol/gain on the amp versus the vol on the guitar to get that clean quiet sound and loud crunch overdriven sound. It was a technique to learn, just like any other technique you had to learn. Didn't matter what amp you were using, once you knew how to do it, you could do it to any amp. Most amps I had to deal with when I started out had a vol, a gain, and a reverb. And that was it. You had to do a lot with just those.

But it just seems to be a lost art now. There's not many kids out there it seems that can walk up to an amp and start dialing it in. Why? What happened? Too many pedals out there so too many choices now? You ask them to dial it in and they just stand around scratching their heads. Always go with your best bet, and if that needs a bit of help, then start bringing in your options.

(says the man with too many pedals now...lol)

Ok, the head over my cab cost's less than most pedals.

It's hybrid, not full tube. But at home I couldn't use full tube anyway.

It has 3 knobs, volume, tone and gain.

That and the four knobs of my guitar give me lot's of different tones. I only miss one thing reverb but that can be fixed. So maybe the art of turnig knobs is not lost at all. Especialy when there are people like me out there that can't spend a few hundreds every time they wan't to change their tone. But I have to sdmit if I had the money a would buy a ton of pedal's!

On my new amp, channel 1 uses just the power tubes and starts breaking up at about 3 on the volume, channel 2 uses both pre amp and power tubes. on channel 2 I get a little more headroom in the clean area but it gets a lot dirtier also.

The master volume if you will actually controls the voltage....I just found out last night that I need to have my voltage up past 5 or 6 so I get more treble out of it...

It was sounding very dark at less voltage....but I was doing that to keep the volume down in the house....and I didn't care for it and didn't know what to do....what I thought I could do and wanted to do is just plug into the amp and sound great....I like the guitar sounds of Page, Gibbons,Clapton and all the 60's and 70's stuff...and I do like some of the heavier stuff also.....and I like to play Day Tripper clean....

That's where I am right now.....

I am trying to learn how to sound good with this great amp...

I don't have experience with these amps. It sounds interesting.

Apparently, it is a different way of building an amp, and a different way of dealing with the sound level/distortion issue.

Obviously, you are on a good track, using the amp and exploring what it has.

One idea, perhaps try the volume on the guitar? If the amp wants to have that certain wattage to get the treble out of it, perhaps give the amp that wattage and turn volume on the guitar down to compensate?

Archived