Gibson Brands Forums

New Used Guitar Day

elessar820

Last week, I picked up a used 1997 Fender American Standard Strat on eBay, it showed up yesterday and it's awesome. It has Texas Specials in it and a Tortoise Shell pickguard, so I thought it was a Roadhouse, but it's an All Parts pickguard, so I'm sure it's all aftermarket stuff. Anyway, it's a little more beat than I was lead on to believe, but it plays nice and sounds fantastic. I was debating putting some Vintage Noiseless pickups in or maybe swapping out the bridge for a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails, but I'm pretty happy with the sound, so we'll see. I am going to switch the wiring a bit next time I restring it, I'm going to wire it like my Highway One Strat where the middle pickup isn't wired to the tone control and the bridge is. I also may but in a Vitamin Q cap.

guitars003-2.jpg

guitars004.jpg

Sweet! Black with a tortoise pickguard and maple neck is exactly how I want my next Strat to look except I want to go with black pickup covers and knobs. Strats are very versatile guitars and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for years.

My advice to you with the pickups is to live with the guitar for a while the way it is. Sometimes it's a little tough to get used to a new sound but then you find it grows on you. Your other Strat has Hot Noiseless pickups which, I assume, are bit darker sounding. I found it a bit difficult to get used to bright single coils when I got my first Strat after having played mainly a Les Paul for years but then the bright pups really grew on me and I love them.

Thanks guys, it's definitely a great guitar that has plenty of good years left on it and hopefully, I'll have it for a while still.

Your other Strat has Hot Noiseless pickups which' date=' I assume, are bit darker sounding. I found it a bit difficult to get used to bright single coils when I got my first Strat after having played mainly a Les Paul for years but then the bright pups really grew on me and I love them.[/quote']

I love single coils, but it's the hum that gets me. I play with a fair amount of distortion a lot of times so the hum is usually very annoying, so the Noiseless pickups suit me well. You'd think that the Hot Noiseless were pretty dark, but they aren't really. They're a bit darker than most single coils, but have a really nice chime to them that still makes it sound like a Strat. My Highway One came stock with Custom Shop 69's which were amazing pickups, but the hum was the reason I swapped them. Texas Specials are awesome pickups, I may just swap out the bridge pickup for a single coil sized humbucker or a standard one. Probably a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails, Lil '59er, '59 or Pearly Gates. I've gotten tired of high output pickups lately, the hottest ones I have are probably the Hot Noiseless or the Screamin' Demon in my Ibanez.

I hear ya with hum. My main Strat has single coils in it and I recently purchased the Suhr Noiseless backplate. I haven't had it installed yet, but have high hopes for it because I really dig the pickups and don't want to change the sound of the guitar, just dump the noise.

I was listening to the sound clips for the Lil' Screamin' Demon (single cold sized version) on the Duncan web site a few months back and it sounded great to my ear. The one noiseless pickup that Duncan offers that sounds like a really nice, bright sounding single coil is the Duckbucker (again, going from sound clips on the web site). If I ever get around to buying another Strat to set up to be ideal with my band, it'll probably have the Lil' Screamin' Demon in the bride and Duckbuckers in the middle and neck.

Archived