Gibson Brands Forums

swaping out G-Force

the dog

So I bought this new Midtown Standard yesterday. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Midtown-Standard.aspx

I'll be getting it on Wednesday or Thursday....I also bought a set of Grover locking tuners....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/502C

My question is,are the keystone knobs on the G-Force tuner able to replace the kidney shaped knobs on Grover tuners?

I like the keystone shape better than kidney...

thanks

Rich

No. You can buy Grovers with keystone knobs though.

I couldn't seem to find them yesterday for the locking tuners....they all had kidney....Sweetwater didn't have them and I didn't see them on the Grover website...even replacement knobs on Grover site are kidney shaped...

I couldn't seem to find them yesterday for the locking tuners....they all had kidney....Sweetwater didn't have them and I didn't see them on the Grover website...even replacement knobs on Grover site are kidney shaped...

I don't think they are available with the locking tuners. At least I could never find them.

However, there are aftermarket keystones like these available.

GROVER® KEYSTONE BUTTON - CHROME

If I may be so bold, the pickup covers on that guitar are nickel, as well as the other hardware. The tuners you ordered are chrome. You may know that... Personally I prefer the nickel finish. Not to mention aesthetics, If everything is made of the same materials they will age/patina together.

Cool guitar by the way! I dig it.

Good luck,

jv

I don't think they are available with the locking tuners. At least I could never find them.

However, there are aftermarket keystones like these available.

GROVER® KEYSTONE BUTTON - CHROME

If I may be so bold, the pickup covers on that guitar are nickel, as well as the other hardware. The tuners you ordered are chrome. You may know that... Personally I prefer the nickel finish. Not to mention aesthetics, If everything is made of the same materials they will age/patina together.

Cool guitar by the way! I dig it.

Good luck,

jv

cool thanks for the link...are they a good product?

my Signature T came with keystone locking from Grover but were made for that guitar by Grover.....all the hardware is chrome.....

cool thanks for the link...are they a good product?

my Signature T came with keystone locking from Grover but were made for that guitar by Grover.....all the hardware is chrome.....

I bought a set of gold keystone for one of my guitars and they are fine. They seem well made. They are "after market" parts though... I didn't use the the screws that came with the new buttons... I thought the supplied screws were not as quality as the originals... This is a totally innocuous mod anyway. Can't hurt a thing.

The funny bit is that after a few months I removed the keystone on my particular guitar because it was not "as original"... Also the kidneys seemed to feel better...?? hahaha I am fickle in these matters.

One thing I have learned over the years is to leave new guitars alone for months of playing before I mod them. Just so I don't waste money on account of my fickleness! :rolleyes:

As far as changing tuners goes, I would most likely change the robo tuners straight away like you, especially on the Midtown.

Good luck and we expect to see pictures as soon as you get that new guitar!!

jv

For the heck of it I called Grover because I can and they have a phone number!!

I talked to Ron and he said that allparts.com is their distributor and they have the knobs....

here is the link....

https://www.allparts.com/TK-7722-010-Chrome-Keystone-Buttons-for-Grover_p_3928.html

I really like it when I can talk to somebody and not have to e-mail...

shout out to Grover [thumbup]

Once Grover probably offered locking tuners with chrome-plated keystone buttons. A 2011 Gibson LP of mine came with these stock, and I don't think they made them extra on request. I rather guess they discontinued them meanwhile.

Once Grover probably offered locking tuners with chrome-plated keystone buttons. A 2011 Gibson LP of mine came with these stock, and I don't think they made them extra on request. I rather guess they discontinued them meanwhile.

Correct on offering locking tuners with chrome-plated keystone buttons...My 2013 Signature T came with them....

Archived