Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic dealers not listed on Gibson.com?

Jesse_Dylan

My local Gibson acoustic dealer is not listed on Gibson.com. Does this mean there could be more dealers in the state that are not listed? (I think so. It shows no dealers for ND, but there is one in my very own city.) If so, how can I find them?

I would really like to A/B a J-15 and a J-45, and my local dealer has neither and is unsure whether they want to jump on Henry's bandwagon after the weirdness of last year. (I keep telling him, 2016 is where it's at.)

Give Gibson a call and see if they show anyone not on their website. Could be the website hasn't been undated yet to reflect any new dealers, or maybe they just missed your dealer. If you can't find a J15 and J45 to compare, but are dying for one or the other, just flip a coin...lol....Seriously, both are extremely nice instruments. I find my J15 to be more vocal at a jam, but the J45 has a real warmth to it. Though ideal for whatever role, I find the J45 to be one of the ultimate folksinger guitars. The J15 has similar virtues and easily fills the same role, but the two guitars are different from each other. I don't find one to be better, but they are different. Depends on what you need,...and you might need both. [thumbup]

You said that they don't have either, and haven't decided if they want to buy in this year..... is it possible that they let their dealership lapse (but still have inventory) and have been taken off of the site until they buy in? Call Gibson and verify. if they aren't an authorized dealer then you need to know. if they are, then you will be helping them to get put onto the site.

edit: I just looked and their site shows 2 dealers for ND. Jacobsen Music in Bismark and Minot. is this the dealer you are talking about? I don't see any 5 star Dealers, but that's not the same as no dealer listed at all.

-Keith

If you can't find a J15 and J45 to compare, but are dying for one or the other, just flip a coin...lol....Seriously, both are extremely nice instruments. I find my J15 to be more vocal at a jam, but the J45 has a real warmth to it. Though ideal for whatever role, I find the J45 to be one of the ultimate folksinger guitars. The J15 has similar virtues and easily fills the same role, but the two guitars are different from each other. I don't find one to be better, but they are different. Depends on what you need,...and you might need both. [thumbup]

Thanks, I was hoping someone might mention that. I have read every "j-15 vs. J-45" thread I could find on the internet, watched about 100 J-15 demo videos, probably 50 J-45 ones. I watched the Music Villa J-15 vs. J-45 video probably 50 times alone. I feel like it doesn't give a very good example of either the J-15 or the J-45 though.

Sometimes the J-15 actually sounds a bit deeper (or maybe bassier) than the J-45. Other times the J-45 sounds growly and deep, and the J-15 comes across a little bright and perhaps thin. Still other times (like the Music Villa video), the J-15 actually sounds very dark and with less treble emphasis, and the J-45 ends up sounding sort of quiet.

I suspect too that there is no case of one being better, just one being made from less expensive (and different) components. They have the same bracing, and when people talk about the J-45 like it's better, it annoys me. It costs more, has more history, and is in sunburst, but that doesn't make it better.

Sound aside (which I seem to have been unable to figure out), they each have things that really get me. I love the idea of walnut and all North American sustainable wood. On the other hand, I love the history and look of the J-45. But I love the way the J-15 looks, too, and I'd feel fine swapping the pickguard if I so desired (wouldn't do that on a J-45).

Money is not the primary issue, but it's not bad to save some money either.

I've played a couple J-45s and liked them (there was an older black one I did not connect with, but I think with some work, it would have been fine). I don't believe there has ever been a J-15 in stock long enough here for me to try one out (played a J-29 and J-35, and they are not for me--played a J-45 Cobra that was great, but Cobra is not for me).

I'm definitely looking for a "folksinger" guitar. I basically want it to do all my Hummingbird can do (basically), and if it's different in the process, that's a fine bonus. (Even a J-45 seems different enough, despite being made from the same woods, but obviously a J-15 is even more different yet fills the same roll with the same Gibson thump. Maybe I should go J-15 just to avoid having two mahogany Gibson dreads.)

It's hard! Sorry for the wall of words. I will probably start another J-15 vs. J-45 thread out of desperation and to the annoyance of all involved.

edit: I just looked and their site shows 2 dealers for ND. Jacobsen Music in Bismark and Minot. is this the dealer you are talking about? I don't see any 5 star Dealers, but that's not the same as no dealer listed at all.

-Keith

That's them! I must have been using the website wrong. That's my dealer, in Minot, and I was wondering if perhaps the Jacobsen in Bismarck or Dickinson had Gibson Acoustics as well hmm... I was also wondering if there might be any other dealers in the state. But if you managed to get them to show up, that's them! So maybe it's just those two Jacobsens. I must have been doing something wrong. Time to call Bismarck and see what they have in stock! Might be making a two-hour each way road trip...

Just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out the Gibson site, and I still can't get anything except the 5-star dealers.

I played both and went with the J-45 if that helps!

Oh man. You guys aren't making this easy! :P I might have to do a redux J-45 vs. J-15 thread, even though it was discussed all over the place last year (and I've read all of the threads I could find).

I hope I can get a chance to play both and A/B... I suspect the main audible difference is just truly walnut vs. mahogany, because the bracing is the same (unlike the J-35, whose bracing differs from the J-45).

Archived