Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Shipped Today!

Silvercrow

Hi Everybody!

Like almost all things in my life- this new guitar acquisition took some unexpected turns, but seems to be coming out A-OK.

I ordered a Fender American Standard Ltd. Ed. in Vintage White, requesting a delayed delivery. Somehow, in the process, they became back-ordered. Then this morning, after being alerted that the Vintage White was not due to ship until at least August 28, I got notice that a shipment of Mystic Aztec gold models came in. Same specs except maple board. Still a 60th Anniversary with hard case and 50s fat pups.

Cancelled the Vintage White- ordered the Gold. Just got notice it shipped. I'm hoping this link will work- I'm looking forward to having a "playmate" for my beloved LP Studio! I guess Golden Blondes get long ok with Red-heads? Pics to follow when I get her in my hands! Supposed to be Wed...

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-american-standard-stratocaster---mystic-aztec-gold/0170218750.html

Brian

Hi Everybody!

Like almost all things in my life- this new guitar acquisition took some unexpected turns, but seems to be coming out A-OK.

I ordered a Fender American Standard Ltd. Ed. in Vintage White, requesting a delayed delivery. Somehow, in the process, they became back-ordered. Then this morning, after being alerted that the Vintage White was not due to ship until at least August 28, I got notice that a shipment of Mystic Aztec gold models came in. Same specs except maple board. Still a 60th Anniversary with hard case and 50s fat pups.

Cancelled the Vintage White- ordered the Gold. Just got notice it shipped. I'm hoping this link will work- I'm looking forward to having a "playmate" for my beloved LP Studio! I guess Golden Blondes get long ok with Red-heads? Pics to follow when I get her in my hands! Supposed to be Wed...

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-american-standard-stratocaster---mystic-aztec-gold/0170218750.html

Brian

Congrat! Don't forget to post pictures as soon as received ;)

Hi Brain

That looks pretty sweet bud!

I love that gold finish, very elegant looking.

I have a Standard with Fat 50s. You're going to like these pickups. They are nicely balanced, not too much top end bite, a nice glassy bottom end. The tone controlling all three pickups with the no-load is a real good improvement. Trad. strat wiring doesn't have any tone control for the bridge pup. Helps to tame that bridge pup when needed.

Be sure to give us a full report after you've had a chance to do the bonding thing!!

/Ray

Hi Brain

That looks pretty sweet bud!

I love that gold finish, very elegant looking.

I have a Standard with Fat 50s. You're going to like these pickups. They are nicely balanced, not too much top end bite, a nice glassy bottom end. The tone controlling all three pickups with the no-load is a real good improvement. Trad. strat wiring doesn't have any tone control for the bridge pup. Helps to tame that bridge pup when needed.

Be sure to give us a full report after you've had a chance to do the bonding thing!!

/Ray

Thanks for that info.! I watched a video last evening- forgot the music store / promo folks but in as much as I can tell from a YouTube vid- it seemed pretty sweet! ONE of the many things I love about the LP is the usefulness of the bridge pup. Most all my life I've been a "Fender" guy and found very limited use for the bridge pups on both Teles and Strats.

Thanks for the explanation about the circuitry too-was not particularly understanding how the wiring went. So I guess that in addition to having the tone pot hooked into the bridge pup, you can also "click" off the treble circuit altogether if you turn that lowest pot all the way up? (I can't imagine why you'd want even more treble from a Strat bridge pup, but then again, theres a lot I don't know!) The G&L guitars I had in recent years did not have those options and, particularly with the ASAT Classic- the first thing I did was tear out the MFD single coils and replace with Fralins. The Legacy (G&L Strat type) had alnico 5s and were great sounding to my ears.

Another thing about LPs- to me VERY dynamic "middle" position. This particular Strat seems to have a great, gutsy sounding middle pickup, too!

In any event, it'll be great having both the LP and the Strat in the "stable". I should have most all tonal areas covered!

The color? Man, as I age I find I like things I wouldn't have liked when I was younger! I've never seen one in person, but I think it's kinda classy while at the same time kinda classic too! I like that its a 60th anniversary and the fact that it has these pups most though.

Full report to follow- UPS says it will deliver tomorrow by end of day.

Brian

Hello Brian!

It looks lovely. The best of luck! :)

By the way, why don't they offer those contoured cases for the aftermarket? [cursing] Even those expensive ones they sell are multi-fit.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence! Really psyched!

I did not know the form fitting ones were not available aftermarket! Figures...! I couldn't tell you who make them, but I wonder if you could get one without the "Fender" molded into the side.

Heres a wierd thing- on the MF website, the Vintage white one had indicated it was the rectangular multi-fit case. The Aztec gold just said "hard case"-as did the Fender site. So I wonder what I'll get? Probablty the multi-fit, but thats OK.

I've only ever owned one "Custom Shop" guitar- a Tele Custom. It came with a multi-fit case but had the Custom Shop logo stitched into the inside lining. I ended up selling the guitar but you wouldn't believe (or...maybe you would- you know a lot!)how many contacts I had offering me pretty substantial money for the case, the certificate and the neck plate. Tempting as it was, I imagined folks using those things to rip-off some unsuspecting person- so no way I was selling them seperately.

Brian

hey Brian,

so the zero load pot, if set to 0, it's out of the loop.,

There's a detente @ Zero, so it will stay there unless you want to move it off the no load position.

it don't take much too make that bridge pickup a weapon on a strat, but I fit it's VERY useful.. I use it quite liberally, I like being able to take some of the edge off with the new standard wiring.

and yea.. tastes do change..

funny thing for me, my first three "Real" guitars were a Tele, a Strat and a Les Paul..

three of the guitars I still play the most to this day,.. with those three, there's almost nothing you can't cover.

the other 15 or so guitars I have... they're just there to keep it interesting!!! (Well four are acoustics, so there's THAT whole can of worms too!)

[cool]

Archived