Gibson Brands Forums

Lightnin' Hopkins

Jesse_Dylan

- Great performances on all these songs, thanks Jesse! I have two of them on the "Lightnin' Hopkins Rare Performances" DVD and wonder if the whole session is available? Would be great to have them all on DVD. 'Better watch that!'

Have listened to po' Lightnin for as long as I can remember. Even have some old cassette tapes of him talking about his life and music, just listening to him talk is music to me.

JB

I think the Lightnin' Hopkins tracks on the DVD in your link are the same as the ones on the Rare Performances DVD that you arlready have, aren't they? From my copy:

Baby Please Don't Go - track 3

Take me back - track 5

Hurrican Beulah - track 6

Mojo Hand - track 4

Baby Come Home with Me - bonus track 21

Baby Scratch My Back - track 7

But there is another DVD I like with Lightnin' and Roosevelt Sykes from that same "Masters of the Country Blues" series.

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Country-Blues-Lightnin-Roosevelt/dp/B000087F4E

It includes a half hour documentary by the University of Houston following Lightnin' around in the early 1970's.

I think the Lightnin' Hopkins tracks on the DVD in your link are the same as the ones on the Rare Performances DVD that you arlready have, aren't they? From my copy:

Baby Please Don't Go - track 3

Take me back - track 5

Hurrican Beulah - track 6

Mojo Hand - track 4

Baby Come Home with Me - bonus track 21

Baby Scratch My Back - track 7

No, only Hurrican Beulah and Baby Scratch My Back on the Rare Performances DVD are from the Seattle Folk Society session. The other tracks are different versions from other performances, and IMO not as interesting as the Seattle versions. I bought the Mance Lipscomb/Lightnin' DVD on evilbay today. Looking forward!

JB

Cool. I was going to buy that DVD awhile ago but skipped it because I assumed they were the same. Sorry, did not watch the youtube links earlier in the thread, my internet connection is slow and I am not as patient as I used to be. :)

Will have to pick up a copy of that DVD. I like Mance Lipscomb too - he is also featured in "The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins".

• 5 years later...
On 8/19/2015 at 12:51 AM, Jesse_Dylan said:

https://youtu.be/hWqA1Z4lPHw

(Why can't I ever get it to show the video instead of the link?)

Just wanted to share a real guitar hero. Of course, this is the real reason I want a Batwing pickguard. 🙂 (okay, so my dad also had a batwing)

Never have figured out how to play like that...

Gibson J-50. He played in E almost all the time, but he was never tuned up to concert pitch (or even in perfect tune).

Friends of friends of his have told me he said, "Ole Lightnin' don't ever practice." Doesn't seem like he needed to... He used to play clubs, but he'd also just sit on the bus and play. I think that was his "practice".

Course you guys probably all know this stuff already, but maybe some younger folks will pop in and be educated.

Got into him just because he played a Gibson J-50! His name kept coming up when I was researching that guitar...and I'm mighty glad it did. He's wonderful. 

• Like 1

What's 5 years among friends?  🙂

I have always loved Lightnin's music. I've done my best to steal a lick or three, but I have no capacity to approach his coolness.

Anyway, here's my attempt to "return the favor." SRV copped a bunch of Lightnin's licks. Here I try to play an SRV tune as Lightnin' might have played it: