Gibson Brands Forums

Strings For a 1934 OJ Reissue

jw3571

A novel and most humble way of announcing an NGD. I agree with the canine pirate stylist; nice to have the first string set put on be something you're familiar with. Allows you to see what the guitar is bringing you, sound-wise.

Safe travels, OJ. Enjoy the NGD Saturday. Looking forward to seeing some snaps.

Congrats! Let us know how you like it and make sure to post some pictures.

The OJ comes with Lights, I think Medium suits the OJ much better. I really like the Monel strings on it. You have to wait a few days, they need to "cure". I have currently Bronze 80/20 on it. They are nice as well, but I will go back to Monels soon.

Just switched to 80/20s on my J35 after playing monels (nickel) for the past year. The nickel strings are great for old timely blues sounds (more funamental tone) but some of what I am playing right now benefits from the extra ring and warmth of the 80/20s. As for string gauge, the mediums would be good for bluegrass, or if you just want the thing to go boom. You may find a more nuanced tone with lights (what I have on my '35, though I used a .13 for a little extra boyd on top).

I put some John Pearse Mediums on it and it sounds great. I had some people on the AGF board tell me this guitar can't handle medium strings and it will hurt the top, is this true?

I'll post a NGD pic later today.

Can't Comment on the OJ but every hog/spruce gibson I ever owned loved pb lights. I use elixir just because I hate changing strings and I also think they sound good when they age.

I put some John Pearse Mediums on it and it sounds great. I had some people on the AGF board tell me this guitar can't handle medium strings and it will hurt the top, is this true?

I'll post a NGD pic later today.

As I wrote in my earlier reply, this guitar really benefits from medium gauge strings. I use them since I own it, bought it in 2013 never had any issue with it.

Archived