Gibson Brands Forums

Played my first J-15 Wow ... and first 70's Gibson

EuroAussie

I wonder why they don't just offer some options, like types of neck, types of sunburst... It seems like there is little rhyme or reason to it.

I'm lucky and like the 1.725" nut (don't like smaller though!!) and am okay with whatever neck it seems like... but I feel for folks who are stuck with nut width, string spacing and necks that do not work for them.

That said if they'd made my Hummingbird Vintage with the true vintage spec neck of the '60s Birds, that would have been a no-go for me, because wasn't it like a 1-5/8" nut width or something? Yeesh. My fingers are short with big tips :P

Yes, I agree it's odd that there aren't more nut width options, but I suppose (totally guessing) it's more time consuming and not cost-effective enough to offer models in 1-11/16, 1.725, 1-3/4 and onward...

So far, I'm aware that Boyd, Bobouz and myself are the narrow nut fans. Correct me if I'm wrong. And add your name to the list if it applies.

Jesse, As per the Martin M36, I will say it's the brightest guitar I own. Tonally, it's the most finicky. Extremely lively with brand new strings -- not bad -- and noticeably darker about a month in. Still, I'm putting Martin Monel retros on next to see what it brings. More curious that anything else. I would never know to order a special wood top. I just figure whatever wood it comes with is for a reason and I don't have enough expertise (uh, make that any) to be suggesting top woods. I picked it because I already have a vintage D28 and didn't want another full-size dreadnaught, but I also wanted more bass than the double OOs offer. The slimmer body and deeper bout made for a right compromise. The bound neck was also a nice touch, though it's neither a deal-maker or breaker.

I also think it's healthy for all guitar nuts to own Martins and Gibsons to best calm GAS. If you only own one of the makers then the grass will eventually become too green on the other side. I've gone from all Gibson-obsession now to a balance. Maybe had my hands adapted better to the 1.725 nut I might feel differently.

On the electric side, I have fallen fully head-over-heels in love with a Gibson 1999 SG Standard.

Yes, I agree it's odd that there aren't more nut width options, but I suppose (totally guessing) it's more time consuming and not cost-effective enough to offer models in 1-11/16, 1.725, 1-3/4 and onward...

So far, I'm aware that Boyd, Bobouz and myself are the narrow nut fans. Correct me if I'm wrong. And add your name to the list if it applies.

Jesse, As per the Martin M36, I will say it's the brightest guitar I own. Tonally, it's the most finicky. Extremely lively with brand new strings -- not bad -- and noticeably darker about a month in. Still, I'm putting Martin Monel retros on next to see what it brings. More curious that anything else. I would never know to order a special wood top. I just figure whatever wood it comes with is for a reason and I don't have enough expertise (uh, make that any) to be suggesting top woods. I picked it because I already have a vintage D28 and didn't want another full-size dreadnaught, but I also wanted more bass than the double OOs offer. The slimmer body and deeper bout made for a right compromise. The bound neck was also a nice touch, though it's neither a deal-maker or breaker.

I also think it's healthy for all guitar nuts to own Martins and Gibsons to best calm GAS. If you only own one of the makers then the grass will eventually become too green on the other side. I've gone from all Gibson-obsession now to a balance. Maybe had my hands adapted better to the 1.725 nut I might feel differently.

On the electric side, I have fallen fully head-over-heels in love with a Gibson 1999 SG Standard.

Yeah, I think the Gibson folks (Henry or whomever) just think it's bad guitar business to do a bunch of custom stuff. Ren enjoyed doing custom stuff but was told it just didn't pan out. (Seems to work fine for Martin, though...!)

I was Martin-obsessed, and I finally gave in with the Hummingbird, which has rocked my world. I think I will have a little more balance now! I'd like to get a Gibson electric someday, but I'd want something in 24.75" scale (which thankfully is their usual!) but with 1.725" nut (sadly not their usual)... and cheap! Under $1000 MAP.

M-36 That is super interesting that you find it really bright. I had thought my alpine top was the source of the brightness. I've heard others say the trebles are muted (!). It came to me with traveled uncoated PB strings, which I broke in quickly, forgot about, and left on it for absolutely forever. Then I actually put Monels on it, and that's when I had a freak out, because it was so bright and strident. Swapped to JP Pure Nickels, and boom, back to the tone I knew and loved. You'll have to let me know what you think of the Monels. I think if I'd let them break in, maybe it would have been better.

I think I would have been just fine with good old Sitka, or if I was going to go with something weird and different, why not Adirondack? (I think that was too high a mark-up for me.) I was used to hearing David Bromberg's and Steve Earle's M-size guitars, and those all had Italian Alpine spruce. I guess I thought I'd go with what was a known quantity. If I were doing it again, I'd go more standard, and if I were doing it custom again, I'd probably go even weirder, like sustainable cherry back/sides/neck--or maybe walnut???

In the end, I'm happy to be "stuck" with my M-36. I doubt it is a huge departure from the standard at all really. It sounds fantastic. I swear it still has not broken in, though, after years upon hours of play. Meanwhile my Hummingbird seems deeper and bassier and fuller each time I play it. (Not that the M-36 isn't bassy. They're actually a pretty fantastic pair.)

Make that 3, my Father has a 73 or 74 SJ Deluxe. I'm not quite sure on the year but that guitar sounds great, it's not overly loud but the warm tone is to die for.

I 4th that. One if my Gibsons in my stable is a 1972 SJ Deluxe that I bought brand new as a youngun. It's sound has become full and awesome as it has aged. Plus, mine has a natural finish that has taken on that cool orange-like Gibson darkening to it over the years.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ok, I've had my J-15 for about 1.5 years. Changed the TRC, I like the white border.

Fantastic guitar! As much as I love my other Gibsons, the J-15 is right up there with them.

I have to admit, I bought a white-border TRC, too, and I had them etch "J-15" on it. Wasn't any more expensive than the Gibson official TRC, and it looks neat!

Not having a lot of luck with the custom Batwing pickguard though. Apparently the radius on the soundhole and rosettes is different than the curve on the pickguard (which was made for the appropriate-era J-45/50). Hm! Might not know until I have both guitar and pickguard in-hand...

Archived