Gibson Brands Forums

1935 Jumbo

Buc McMaster

Not gonna happen, FMA.........no way. I do enjoy seeing and hearing great guitars of all description, but my guitar playing days are over. Too much fun playing great ukuleles like this one that will be home from Mr Wildwood's shop next week..........what a very rare beauty this one is! Likely one-of-a-kind.........

1920s Oscar Schmidt 5K

.........nice try, though! [thumbup]

Not gonna happen, FMA.........no way. I do enjoy seeing and hearing great guitars of all description, but my guitar playing days are over. Too much fun playing great ukuleles like this one that will be home from Mr Wildwood's shop next week..........what a very rare beauty this one is! Likely one-of-a-kind.........

1920s Oscar Schmidt 5K

What wood is the fretboard?

Stunning!

Fretboard is flame koa in the raw, unfinished. It's all koa, front to back, top to bottom. Quite an unusual instrument. We're thinking it was a one-off custom build for someone in the 1920s. Somehow it has come to be mine after almost 100 years. They don't build 'em like this anymore.

Although Oscar Schmidt is generally associated with the all-birch concert size guitars you got free when you subscribed to the company's mail order music lessons, they also made some high end and custom instruments. The most famous of the custom jobs remains Leadbelly's 12 string guitar. I own a couple of Schmidt guitars (a jumbo and a Stella) and even the el cheapo concert is a step above the ladder braced instruments of the day.

1442542073[/url]' post='1694723']

1920s Oscar Schmidt 5K

Hey Buc. I don't get how someone can learn an instrument and then just completely stop playing it unless it was something like a piano that takes up a large area or is impossible to move without 4 men or more. An injury possibly. Uncontrollable G.A.S. very possible. Inconvenience of the storage and care? Not really trying to play psychologist or dig into your personal life but it's only a tool to make music and you continue to use other tools of the musical trade why not this particular tool? Some of these tools can be very expensive as seen in your original post and that would scare me if I had a taste for those rare, well preserved, old tools which it seems you may have judging by some of your ukes.

Please don't feel like you owe anyone an explanation and if me wondering aloud about the how's and why's make you the least bit uncomfortable I do apologize and will never touch on the subject again. I am curious about things I don't understand so my curiosity is up on this matter. :) Your musical contributions whether on guitar or the uke have been especially enjoyable so it's not like you can say "well I suck on guitar so I never want to ever play one again! Never ever!"

I myself have gone thru periods where I didn't touch my guitar or take it out of the case for 6 months or even a year. In fact I (as recently as last year) considered selling my Les Paul but before I did, I plugged it in and then realized that even though I rarely play it, when I do it is still enjoyable. So unless I am unable to put food on my table I will be keeping it. Just wondering.

I don't get how someone can learn an instrument and then just completely stop playing it.......

I kinda understand your befuddlement at this...... I played guitar and sang as a front man for several rock n' roll/country/country rock/etc outfits back in the day. The chaos of working a day job and gigging 3-5 nights a week is a young man's game and the grind wore me to a nub over time. Never was more than a competent rhythm guitar player and when I stopped gigging I still enjoyed singing at home. The guitar was just a tool to allow me to continue to sing. But there were songs I wanted to sing that I could not play on a guitar no matter how hard I tried. Enter the ukulele! Four strings, simpler chording, nice voice......perfect for singing a song with! Given that, makes no sense for me to maintain a herd of guitars that sit in the corner gathering dust. I just want to sing now and then......ukulele fills that bill for me. And yes, I do have a taste for old, vintage cool ukuleles just as many guitar players enjoy an old vintage 6-string. I was tempted to buy a very fine Santa Cruz (or was it a Collings?) a few months back, but after pondering awhile I was reminded of the above. No more guitars for me.

No offense taken.

Uh......no. The "K" in the model numbers stands for "Koa". They also made 1M, 2M and 3M models, the "M" meaning "Mahogany". My Martin-made-for-Wurlitzer 2K is valued around $2400-2500 today. I'd guess when it was built, around 1921-22, it sold for less than $100 with the hardshell case. My guess on the Oscar would be $200-300 new in the 1920s. Today? Well I ain't saying' what I paid for it, other than to say it's special. [flapper]

I don't get how someone can learn an instrument and then just completely stop playing it unless it was something like a piano that takes up a large area or is impossible to move without 4 men or more.

I took 10 years of piano lessons but stopped when I went to college. When my daughter was old enough, we got a piano and my daughter took lessons through high school as well. After she went off to college, I got a MIDI keyboard and played on and off but not all that much. When I retired I thought it would be a good opportunity to get back to the piano and flirted with it for awhile, but finally put the keyboard away in the attic.

The fact is… there are only so many hours in the day and I have lots of different interests. I would rather spend my musical time playing the guitar than divide it between two instruments. But nothing is carved in stone in this life, so who knows what the future might hold? :)

Archived