Gibson Brands Forums

Question for guitar tech masterminds

Dub-T-123

What is the trick to securing the telecaster jack/cup thingy? I tried tightening the jack back up and it feels tight but the cup is still sticking out. I took off the pot/switch plate so I could grab the jack from the back end while I tighten, but I seem to be missing something here. I gave the guitar to my brother and it came loose on him, so it's possible that he lost a part or something maybe

What is the trick to securing the telecaster jack/cup thingy? I tried tightening the jack back up and it feels tight but the cup is still sticking out. I took off the pot/switch plate so I could grab the jack from the back end while I tighten, but I seem to be missing something here. I gave the guitar to my brother and it came loose on him, so it's possible that he lost a part or something maybe

I have a socket that will fit the nut to tighten the input jack

Or Stewart Macdonald sells a tool just for that purpose for about $18.00

Could you post a pic of the jack plate and jack out of the body?

The jacks sometimes screw into the plate, and sometimes they use a nut under and above the plate to keep it in place...

If you have a screw type make sure its screwed all the way in.. if you have nuts on the jack you can move the nut down a bit.. What may be happening is that the arm of the jack is hitting the back of the hole if its too far in (if you see what I mean).. maybe even just try spinning the jack around so the arm is on the other side?

This is just guesses though.. a pic may help spot the issue.

Guest Farnsbarns

The jacks sometimes screw into the plate, and sometimes they use a nut under and above the plate to keep it in place...

If you have a screw type make sure its screwed all the way in.. if you have nuts on the jack you can move the nut down a bit.. What may be happening is that the arm of the jack is hitting the back of the hole if its too far in (if you see what I mean).. maybe even just try spinning the jack around so the arm is on the other side?

Sounds like a good guess to me!

Thanks! I'm at work right now but I'll take a couple more pics when I get home.

I appreciate the help guys!

The Telecaster jack cup/ferrule thing is a bit tricky indeed due to the retainer plate. There seems to be no vendor in Europe selling the particular tool required for mounting or removing:

telejackcupretainercliptool.jpg

In the USA it is available here: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Electronics_and_Pickups/Tele_Jack_Installation_Tool.html

Archived