Gibson Brands Forums

Gadget Test Track Comparison

BluesKing777

Here are some further test tracks for my TC Helicon Play Acoustic gadget if anyone is interested. First I loosened the strings and changed the battery on my J45 Baggs pickup and it fixed a scratchy noise I was getting! In my excitement, I leaned the guitar against my desk and forgot the guitar lead was in the endpin and it fell over making a horrid noise but all seems fine. So if I played the tunes below a bit fast, you know why - adrenalin.

So I have an Aura image for my J45 and run that to my TC and got a level for the vocal. Then to trick the TC in to harmonizing my vocal, I turned the guitar right down and mic'd the guitar with my Neumann mic in to another track on my mixer. I hit record. Then I turned the mic off and turned the guitar up in the TC. I hit record again. You wouldn't normally record like this - it is more like you would play live gigs. In theory - if I got this good a sound live, I would be extremely happy, but a huge quality PA would be needed to match the sound I hear in some mid range Sennheiser Headphones.

I did 2 versions of a blues - 1 with Shure 58 vocal > TC gadget > Neumann mic for J45 guitar > TC gadget = A&H mixer > iMac:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/key-one777tc

The other with Shure 58 vocal > TC gadget > Aura gadget for J45 guitar > TC gadget = A&H mixer > iMac:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/key-two777tc

BluesKing777.

Okay, that was fun all around.

By the slightest bit, the guitar track on the second sounded richer and more full. That would suggest to my novice sensibilities that the TC has more signal to work with via the imaged input than the mic could supply?

And here's a rookie question (totally unfamiliar with Fishman Aura and the whole 'downloading of images' concept to begin with): where did the Aura image enter your signal stream- was that a setting in the TC? If so, what does the universe of options look like at that juncture?

In other words, let's say you repeated your experiment, but this time, keeping everything else the same in the non-mic'ed set-up, you selected two of the most different choices the TC gives you. (Am I even making sense?? 😬)

Thanks for these shares, BK- for one, I'm learning stuff and appreciate your pioneering effort on this gadget. But I really, really like hearing you play.

Thanks Anne!

The guitar in the 2nd track is a bit louder - the Baggs pickup on my J45 has a little soundhole mounted volume control like most recent Gibsons with pickups, and it has a hair trigger!

The Aura is the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI box that I have had for quite a few years. It comes loaded with about 130 or so general sound images divided into sections like Dread, Concert, Orchestra and others, plus a 'user image' section where you go to the Fishman site, logon, try to find your model of guitar in the list of images and download up to 16 images to the Spectrum via usb. They don't have everything, but most standard guitars and for me, they have the J45, HD28v, OM18v..but only general images for the Blues King L-00 and my LG3...... The J45 is SO close to my mic'd recording, it is incredible, really. Not as much 'air' in the bass.

The TC Helicon Play Acoustic is a gadget I bought the other week. The theory is you take this box, your vocal mic and your guitar with pickup, and take to a gig to plug to a PA and have the sounds you have rehearsed without bothering the soundguy too much, with a few vocal effects and guitar effects. It has a 'Body Rez' feature to help add some body to pickup sounds - it is a nice feature and while I like the sound for strumming along behind vocals, I don't like the single note sounds for lead notes that much...SO.

I plug my guitar into the Fishman Aura and then into the TC, get a mix, then run leads to my 4 channel mixer. Like you would 'live'.

So what you hear on the second track should be achievable at a gig or open mic without a mic on the guitar and taking your own vocal mic.....as long as there is a mic lead or 2 to run from the TC unit to the front of house sound......

Phew - tapped this on my iPad - should have opened the lappie and typed!

Anyway, the aim of the whole thing is to get a nice vocal and acoustic guitar sound ready to go! Also a bit of fun and experimentation, but a way of practicing a 'gig sound' at home and being prepared for a few eventualities.....err...... The shock of hearing yourself live in a mic after plucking quietly away at home.

BluesKing777.

I liked the 2nd version also. It sounds like your vocal setup may have had different settings in the play acoustic between the two songs . That little unit has many of combinations to get what you want. The possibilities are unlimited

Exactly the same settings for both tracks, but the operator is erratic!

I am still using 2 presets I made that are basically the Preset One and Preset Three in the factory settings with the effects turned right down and then saved as my presets. They are great for everything like I do, but there are some real wild and crazy presets in that unit to fiddle with.

Do you think I should do the 'Cher effect' in a blues next?

BluesKing777.

if you did Im sure it would sound great

Exactly the same settings for both tracks, but the operator is erratic!

I am still using 2 presets I made that are basically the Preset One and Preset Three in the factory settings with the effects turned right down and then saved as my presets. They are great for everything like I do, but there are some real wild and crazy presets in that unit to fiddle with.

Do you think I should do the 'Cher effect' in a blues next?

BluesKing777.

That was a fun idea!!!!

I listened to them both, not knowing which was which. I listened to the first one first, thinking it was the Aura, and I thought, HOLY CRAP. Then I realized not even the Aura could sound that good.

Second one sounded great too. I think the pickup was providing a little more bass through the piezo than the mic was picking up on the first one. I could still hear piezo, so that is my theory.

I am a mic fiend, so I thought the first one sounded phenomenal.

And your guitar playing, holy crow. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to play like that. Hope to someday!

Oh yeah, I was going to ask, were you using the Body Rez function on both/either?? I am really interested in that Body Rez business.

That was a fun idea!!!!

I listened to them both, not knowing which was which. I listened to the first one first, thinking it was the Aura, and I thought, HOLY CRAP. Then I realized not even the Aura could sound that good.

Second one sounded great too. I think the pickup was providing a little more bass through the piezo than the mic was picking up on the first one. I could still hear piezo, so that is my theory.

I am a mic fiend, so I thought the first one sounded phenomenal.

And your guitar playing, holy crow. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to play like that. Hope to someday!

Oh yeah, I was going to ask, were you using the Body Rez function on both/either?? I am really interested in that Body Rez business.

Thanks Jesse.

No Body Rez used - the Aura does the same kind of thing by adding body. I will do another track one day with just Body Rez. It is good for general strumming but I don't like it for single notes.

My mic is the absolute best thing I ever bought - Neumann KM184 condenser. No good for live though - it picks up the guitarist 5 blocks down and everything else.

Guitar playing - just need practice.....and more practice.

BluesKing777.

Archived