Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of my test video Number 3

Rabs

They all look good, and although I prefer the doublecut shape, the singlecut wood hue has an oiled look & matches everything on that guitar perfectly; the chrome, the black pups, the light binding. It all seems in balance aesthetically. Its just a great look.

I dont remember a tenth of the guitars I see in a music shop, but if I saw that one I would have to at least look it over.

Thanks... Again I really appreciate all the comments and help... Its really helped me all through this...

I also like this look, which is why I did the Half and Half double cut with the same hardware... They both got nice Schaller tuners too [thumbup]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Beechwood Arrow sounds really really nice clean

Cheers :)

Yes this is a slightly odd guitar in that way... Im not sure I did anything particularly special with it but I think that its the only one I have with those specific hummers in it (which are AxesRus Late 50s hummers).. So I will get more of that model for sure when I get on to my next set of builds [thumbup]

...My "jingle" actually is the Wind Cries Mary...

homer-doh_zps4409d176.gif

I Must Remember to Put My Brain Into Gear Before Typing.

...and so on for a further 94 lines...

Funnily enough when I was trawling through my image set for the Homer pic (I find I need to use it quite often) I came across this;

So, in a feeble and fairly pathetic attempt to re-gain some Cred on the Hendrix front, here's a sweet little thing I was given by Gered Mankowicz who snapped some pretty famous images of the man himself;

lo-resJimibyGered001.jpg

Pip.

Funnily enough when I was trawling through my image set for the Homer pic (I find I need to use it quite often) I came across this;

So, in a feeble and fairly pathetic attempt to re-gain some Cred on the Hendrix front, here's a sweet little thing I was given by Gered Mankowicz who snapped some pretty famous images of the man himself;

Pip.

Ha, no worries... ive done the same thing many times where I just hadn't read or thought about something properly and give a wrong or just plain irrelevant answer :)

And that's a cool thing to have, that Hendrix pic... Nice [thumbup]

Guitar looks great on "film", Rabs. I can't imagine how it must feel to hold a guitar you actually made from scratch. Respect! [thumbup]

I particularly enjoy hearing the guitar without a backing track. So I'd continue that for sure. If/when you do use a backing track, I'd suggest one with just bass and drums to let the guitar sound shine. A mix of both guitar only and backing track stuff would likely be ideal.

The camera on the pans is a little shaky. I might just use a real good still photo and "pan" it with a computer effect for stability. (Unless you have access to a steady cam those pans are hard to do smoothly)

Could be just me, but the D or G string sounds out of tune in this clip (around 1:20 when you are picking out the G chord). The D is flat maybe? I don't have a great ear, but something sounds rotten in Denmark. I've done this countless times - recorded something without checking/double checking tuning.

I think having a "jingle" up front for every vid is a really great idea. I'd make up something though, rather than use a super recognizable bit like "The Wind Cries Mary".

Hope you don't think I'm being too critical here, Rabs. I'm approaching this from a pro results perspective mind you...which is only gonna improve sales, eh? [biggrin] You guitars deserve the best possible representation.

Guitar looks great on "film", Rabs. I can't imagine how it must feel to hold a guitar you actually made from scratch. Respect! [thumbup]

I particularly enjoy hearing the guitar without a backing track. So I'd continue that for sure. If/when you do use a backing track, I'd suggest one with just bass and drums to let the guitar sound shine. A mix of both guitar only and backing track stuff would likely be ideal.

The camera on the pans is a little shaky. I might just use a real good still photo and "pan" it with a computer effect for stability. (Unless you have access to a steady cam those pans are hard to do smoothly)

Could be just me, but the D or G string sounds out of tune in this clip (around 1:20 when you are picking out the G chord). The D is flat maybe? I don't have a great ear, but something sounds rotten in Denmark. I've done this countless times - recorded something without checking/double checking tuning.

I think having a "jingle" up front for every vid is a really great idea. I'd make up something though, rather than use a super recognizable bit like "The Wind Cries Mary".

Hope you don't think I'm being too critical here, Rabs. I'm approaching this from a pro results perspective mind you...which is only gonna improve sales, eh? [biggrin] You guitars deserve the best possible representation.

You are more than welcome to comment.. I wouldn't put this up on the internet if I wasn't prepared to take some criticism :) And more than that I want it.. I may or may not actually follow peoples advice in the end, but I appreciate the ideas and that people are taking time out to comment...

Yes ive been considering making something up, I just happened to have that recording to hand from one of my last videos and it seemed to fit... I can change that easy enough though, I have all the edits saved in the editor...

As for the shaky pans.. yes I agree.. BUT I donno, im not trying to be the BBC or make a Hollywood film.. as long as the vids get the point across... Also I screwed up the mix a bit in that last vid I did but couldn't be bothered to re-do it... Cos these arnt the final vids yet so I will pay more attention to detail next go around.

Also as has been mentioned early on in this thread I seemed to have developed a slight issue playing when the camera is on.. Its really weird cos ive never had this before, ive played live and never had it either? So it leads me to maybe grip a bit harder than I should.... which is slightly annoying...

Anyway.. Also I want to get these done to get my web site up.. I cam always update them any time.

I couldn't help but checking out your video. Now that you received the professional advice, here is an armatures view. I liked your video, and am shocked you built your own guitar. Looks and sounds great. I wish I had your talent. Great job Rab! msp_thumbup.gif

I couldn't help but checking out your video. Now that you received the professional advice, here is an armatures view. I liked your video, and am shocked you built your own guitar. Looks and sounds great. I wish I had your talent. Great job Rab! msp_thumbup.gif

Well thank you sir.. Glad you like it...

I appreciate all input... And I say give it a go if it interests you to do so.. I had no background in doing any of this sort of work (even though ive always been pretty good with my hands) but I learned :) While it does take some practice to get certain parts of a build right its not really hard to understand what you have to do.. Without Youtube and this forum I doubt id have got this far...

:) So thanks again one and all.. next we will see if all of this will actually lead me anywhere.. and if not, well, I now know how to totally build an electric from scratch which I didn't a few years ago... that's always something :)

Archived