Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of my test video Number 3

Rabs

Ahh man, ive been putting this off slightly cos I really wasn't sure how to present these videos I need to make for my site (everything else is ready)... So I finally got around to doing one today...

This is just a test version to try and get the format right..

What do you reckon? (of the format, not my dodgy playing or sweaty hands :unsure: ) (don't know why that happens sometimes?) (the sweaty hands, I know why my playing is dodgy :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eTtHke-1nw

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Format was nice and neat mate. Well done.

One thing I'd suggest would be that you mix up the pickups a bit to show distinct tonal variety you can get out of each and together, with captions to tell the viewer what you are using - just to make it a bit more of a demo of its range.

nice work Rabs.

Format was nice and neat mate. Well done.

One thing I'd suggest would be that you mix up the pickups a bit to show distinct tonal variety you can get out of each and together, with captions to tell the viewer what you are using - just to make it a bit more of a demo of its range.

nice work Rabs.

I did intend to show both pickups but forgot to record it [rolleyes] BUT this is why its just a test vid, so I can work any kinks out and make sure I get it right for the proper ones I will make (really gotta get it done this week if I can)..

Cheers :)

Nothing wrong with your playing at all. Can you get someone to shred on it some, make it scream and then make it cry? Thats what I would look for in a demo. I must say, you make a fine looking door.....errrr insturment!! 😀 They came out looking amazing and it was very entertaining to watch the process. Good luck with your demo and hope you hit it big with your guitar company!!!

I liked the way you started by describing the construction/finish of the guitar and then went on to the sound samples.

Perhaps even more detailed info on the hardware used (and, perhaps, leave it on screen for a few seconds longer) would help add to the air of Professionalism?

From then on I was going to write pretty much exactly what 'Scales has already said about the tonal range and you've already answered that part so that's sorted!

As well as the shredding, screaming and crying as mentioned above I'd suggest quite a bit of the different sounds which can be found when played 'clean'.

IMO this is always far more instructive for potential buyers. If it can sound great without FX / OD then the rest is a 'given'.

If the guitar sounds great, 'sustain-y' and resonant unplugged it would be useful to post that aspect as well if possible. I'm sure you will have seen - and probably posted - the clip where Gary Moore is playing an R7 (I think) and he shows how well it sounds in this fashion.

You might also want to mention the make of amp you are playing through and which channel / settings etc. you are using.

Good work, Rabs!

[thumbup]

Pip.

I support Pippy's ideas on mentioning some more hardware and, in particular, presenting clean tones. My suggestion would be adding just some ambience reverb and nothing else to keep it all basically pure.

The sustain abilities will translate best through letting single notes stand for a while, and this can be very demonstrative clean as well as using high gain.

I think sweaty hands and imprecise intonation may result from being conscious about the recording situation. I heard out some notes of some chords were slightly out of pitch, and this may result from knowing that the red light is on now. It's hard to tell from here if it's rather tuning or forceful fretting. Perhaps it is also influenced by playing while sitting. I can perform with recording precision with the guitar strapped around my neck only, and standing is better than sitting for me. It could be from being accustomed to it though.

The format is nearly perfect, at least to my senses. I think it is next to impossible to get it any better. In particular, background and camera work for showcasing the guitar leave nothing to be desired. [thumbup]

A quick response. Will reply again later.

I like the Little Wing song choice. It’s a guitarists favourite.

Personally I like the neck pickup sounds best always, but agree that some other tone ranges be featured. Maybe cut into the tune? That will be awkward to edit I know. Together with on screen text to ID pickup used etc.

Presentation. Jump cuts away and returning to the player (you) would be great. The cuts could be close ups of guitar features (&text again).

Lighting ideas. Dark room with studio light on guitar?

Locale: Can an outside shot (countryside/urban backdrop/?) of a guitar player still playing (miming) the tune?

Guitar sounds great Rabs.

Nothing wrong with your playing at all. Can you get someone to shred on it some, make it scream and then make it cry? Thats what I would look for in a demo. I must say, you make a fine looking door.....errrr insturment!! They came out looking amazing and it was very entertaining to watch the process. Good luck with your demo and hope you hit it big with your guitar company!!!

Yes you see this is what I want to... Go get Rob Chapman to play it or something an really push it to its limits which is something I cant do... But alas I don't know any one who can do that, the one person I know who is better than me would NEVER record in front of a video camera cos hes too shy. (by the way if anyone in and around the London area wants to volunteer to play my guitars while I record them please let me know, id be more than happy to do that :))

And well while im never going to say I cant play (cos obviously I can) like most things I do I never ever think its good enough.. Its one of the things that's declined id say since I started building cos most nights I get home with various aching parts of my body, especially my hands and arms like after a days worth of sanding and using power tools.. so playing is the last thing on my mind.. I should be much better.

And yes as I think is mentioned below... When ever I am in a recording situation my mind seems just to go blank which is also annoying cos when I did play in a band that never used to happen (but that was like 20 years ago [rolleyes]) which is why I think I got some sweaty hands, which didn't help the situation.

Anyway.. I must carry on regardless :)

I liked the way you started by describing the construction/finish of the guitar and then went on to the sound samples.

Perhaps even more detailed info on the hardware used (and, perhaps, leave it on screen for a few seconds longer) would help add to the air of Professionalism?

From then on I was going to write pretty much exactly what 'Scales has already said about the tonal range and you've already answered that part so that's sorted!

As well as the shredding, screaming and crying as mentioned above I'd suggest quite a bit of the different sounds which can be found when played 'clean'.

IMO this is always far more instructive for potential buyers. If it can sound great without FX / OD then the rest is a 'given'.

If the guitar sounds great, 'sustain-y' and resonant unplugged it would be useful to post that aspect as well if possible. I'm sure you will have seen - and probably posted - the clip where Gary Moore is playing an R7 (I think) and he shows how well it sounds in this fashion.

You might also want to mention the make of amp you are playing through and which channel / settings etc. you are using.

Good work, Rabs!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Hmm, playing it unplugged... well im not sure anyone played their guitars as hard and loud as Gary did.. He was a proper monster.. And while I agree that playing a guitar unplugged is a good way to tell how good its going to be plugged in but am not sure most people will get that... but I may just try it and see how it comes across in the edit.

And yes I did take a pic of the amp but forgot about it :)

For anyone interested this was done on my Slash SL5 with these settings.. I used nothing else but the amps gain and reverb (in 1w mode)

DSC_0217_zpsrjq1dg74.jpg

I support Pippy's ideas on mentioning some more hardware and, in particular, presenting clean tones. My suggestion would be adding just some ambience reverb and nothing else to keep it all basically pure.

The sustain abilities will translate best through letting single notes stand for a while, and this can be very demonstrative clean as well as using high gain.

I think sweaty hands and imprecise intonation may result from being conscious about the recording situation. I heard out some notes of some chords were slightly out of pitch, and this may result from knowing that the red light is on now. It's hard to tell from here if it's rather tuning or forceful fretting. Perhaps it is also influenced by playing while sitting. I can perform with recording precision with the guitar strapped around my neck only, and standing is better than sitting for me. It could be from being accustomed to it though.

The format is nearly perfect, at least to my senses. I think it is next to impossible to get it any better. In particular, background and camera work for showcasing the guitar leave nothing to be desired. [thumbup]

Thanks man, and to all that have answered, this is exactly the sort of feedback I was after.. [thumbup]

And yes I think I was maybe squeezing a bit hard sometimes... Just need to learn to chill out a bit... Which hopefully will come if I keep at it. Also what you say about standing may be part of it, in all the videos I did previously where im just spouting random stuff I was standing I don't remember getting any issues like that before (even when I did the same guitar).

This one (the Beechwood Arrow is the first guitar on this vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqHUWg5KWI

For anyone interested this was done on my Slash SL5 with these settings.. I used nothing else but the amps gain and reverb

What I heard out was lots of chorus effect added to the otherwise undistorted tone.

A quick response. Will reply again later.

I like the Little Wing song choice. It’s a guitarists favourite.

Personally I like the neck pickup sounds best always, but agree that some other tone ranges be featured. Maybe cut into the tune? That will be awkward to edit I know. Together with on screen text to ID pickup used etc.

Presentation. Jump cuts away and returning to the player (you) would be great. The cuts could be close ups of guitar features (&text again).

Lighting ideas. Dark room with studio light on guitar?

Locale: Can an outside shot (countryside/urban backdrop/?) of a guitar player still playing (miming) the tune?

Guitar sounds great Rabs.

Well this was my set up.. I had one camera on that ladder, one on the coffee table and one in the middle.. Plus I closed the shutters on the windows and used two spot lights (one on the ladder one on the table)... The issue is im using three very different cameras so getting three different pictures.. but I didn't think it looked terrible.

DSC_0219_zpsqkefapre.jpg

Not sure I like the outdoor idea... maybe going a bit too far :) I may try the jump cuts but I kinda like the idea of explaining what the guitar is first then, hey listen to what it can do.. I tried to make sure I kept it short (cos you don't want anything more than a few mins really).. but yes I know I need to show some clean and bridge pup sounds which I will do next time for sure.

What I heard out was lots of chorus effect added to the otherwise undistorted tone.

Ahh that was just the beginning bit where I was showing the guitar, which I took off my previous video I made of this guitar :) When you see me playing its just amp and guitar nothing else.

I want a go!!

Seriously it makes me want to play it.

I'm not keen on the italic font but that's a personal choice.

And...er....B minor!!!

Well that's exactly the point of this all... The videos arnt so much about my playing or my editing, but trying to get people interested in wanting to play them.. I almost don't care about the rest of it as long as I can do that :)

And...er....B minor!!!

yeah well I am a by ear player so often miss the odd minor chord.. and well as long as it doesn't sound terrible I don't mind.. :unsure:

I just listened to the video you linked to post #12. My impression is that the G3rd sounds a bit sharp.

The problem of plain G3rd pitch is a faithful companion of mine. [rolleyes] My approach usually is taking care for picking not too hard - which also causes sharp pitches, like that of the E6th in the Beatles' song Helterskelter - and thus allowing for a lighter touch of the fretting hand.

I said "usually" because all of my good intentions seem to be blown as soon as the red light goes on. [crying]

My admiration for your extraordinary guitar builds, Rabs. =D> =D> =D> I can't even imagine doing the like myself.

hiya Rabs, you've probably already seen it, but if not, I did notice mr.Chapman uploaded a video on how he produces his videos just a few days back. I haven't watched it myself, because I fear the levels of self-aggrandisement on display would be more than I could handle, but since you have a specific opportunity to maybe utilise some of the ideas you might be interested to check it out.

by the way - I should have said in my earlier post - I thought the guitar itself sounded great through the Marshall. I liked your playing - maybe that's part of figuring out who your target market is and playing something that will resonate with them (for example, I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that video adverts for Jackson Guitars would tend not to show a lot of Jazz being played). [thumbup]

hiya Rabs, you've probably already seen it, but if not, I did notice mr.Chapman uploaded a video on how he produces his videos just a few days back. I haven't watched it myself, because I fear the levels of self-aggrandisement on display would be more than I could handle, but since you have a specific opportunity to maybe utilise some of the ideas you might be interested to check it out.

by the way - I should have said in my earlier post - I thought the guitar itself sounded great through the Marshall. I liked your playing - maybe that's part of figuring out who your target market is and playing something that will resonate with them (for example, I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that video adverts for Jackson Guitars would tend not to show a lot of Jazz being played). [thumbup]

Yeah I don't really see myself watching that.. I have a fairly good amount of video editing experience so am not really worried about that so much...

And so does that mean that if I ever make a semi hollow guitar that I will have to do Jazz demo :o Now I think that's just a bit too much to ask from me ;)

And so does that mean that if I ever make a semi hollow guitar that I will have to do Jazz demo :o Now I think that's just a bit too much to ask from me ;)

Rabs mate, if you can build a quality deep hollow-bodied electric arch-top in your Dad's shed with the gear you have at your disposal... then mastering Jazz guitar ought to prove reasonably simple for a man of such skill and resourcefulness! [laugh]

Heres a question...

Do you think its a good idea or bad to do exactly the same on each video I make of each guitar? (same song and solo)

I was thinking it may be good from a perspective of if you were checking all my guitars out it would be a good direct sound comparison as I will be using the same amp with the same settings throughout.. Or would that just be TOO boring?

Making demo vids is a real pain! I'd be tempted to hire professionals if I could.

That said, the video and audio seem pretty good here to me, Rabs.

As for whether they need to be more detailed and informative. Not sure. It seems to me that gear demos are either informative or inspiring - but rarely both. Since you want buyers, I'd say inspiring is more important. I often watch multiple reviews/demos before I buy something. So maybe the best answer is short inspiring clips that focus on making the product look/sound good AND longer more detailed "informative" videos.

No right answer to that Rabs as your viewers will have individual preferences, however, as you ask, in your situation I would:

1. Have the same intro each time (Little Wing sequence or whatever) to 'announce' that its a Rabswood demo video in a series.

2. Clean setting run through of each p/up option - I'd develop some arpeggios, chord sequences and runs that you can play very well and stick to using them each time on same amp settings - partly so your plaing will be good and come easily to you and partly for comparison

3. A quick section using some drive on the dirty channel - I'd have a selection of say 10-12 riffs and grab say any 4-5 of those on a miscellaneous basis - ie different mix each guitar for variety along with a few licks and solo runs appropriate to those riffs - mixes it up a bit for the viewer.

looking forward to checking out your site!

Hmm, interesting... And thanks both of you for your comments...

And yes doing creative work can be a challenge simply because you can do anything but everything needs to be considered if you want the video or what ever you are doing to come across in the intended way...

But then that's the issue in itself... Everyone will look at it slightly differently and theres no real way to change that.

I have to give one of the cameras I am using back on Tuesday as I borrowed it. So what ever happens I gotta at least get all my footage by then.

Nearly there though [rolleyes]

Vid: Yes my points were too rash. You are doing this solo with mixed & borrowed gear after all. However...

A lot can be achieved with editing. I have no experience with video editing, but have seen basic footage transformed into very pro looking results. Its something else to consider.

As you have mentioned Chappers, would it do any harm to just ask the man? Although he may not demo your guitars, he seems a genuine and approachable dude. If you can contact him, he may just offer some advice & maybe even recommend a talented player who would love the opportunity of playing your stunning guitars, and maybe get some exposure into the bargain?

As for sound. In post #12, once again I loved the clean warm tones best. I could lose hours with a tone like that.

Archived