Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

Irish_Rover

So, after first being promised delivery on Saturday and then guaranteed delivery on Tuesday, I came home from an early shift this morning (Monday) to find a card on the mat from the parcel deliverer telling me he'd left my brand new AJ-45ME with a neighbour!

Anyhow, I collected it from said neighbour, came in, washed my hands put the kettle on and set about unboxing. Gave it a quick once over and everything is in order aside from a couple of little nicks in the fretboard which I can live with.

So lets get the finish out of the way first, seeing as I have been one the more vocal critics. It's actually not as bad as I feared, I would still have preferred a gloss finish but although I was sceptical about the satin letting the wood vibrate more there may well be something in that. I'm still not convinced that it will age well, looks wise, but only time will tell. I'm pretty sure that if was a natural guitar the satin finish would have been much less of an issue.

And then I strummed a big G chord. OMG! Who cares what this guitar looks like? The sound is out of this world! I love this guitar! Tone is sublime. I just sat and played for 2 hours, never even got to drink my tea, couldn't put the AJ down. Go on then Mick give me your best shot, I deserve it [rolleyes]

Taken and edited a couple of quick pics:

Here she is

post-70325-005612500 1449498658_thumb.jpg

With her big sister

post-70325-090759000 1449498547_thumb.jpg

My entire harem (I know who's going to be getting all the attention for a while [biggrin])

post-70325-011046900 1449498682_thumb.jpg

I'd love to stay and chat but I have an amazing new guitar to play!

Class

Glad you like it IR - I think a satin finish definitely feels better and does let the top vibrate more

You got it at a great price too - it seems it was only a couple of days and now it's back to the original price

happy strumming!

Dodger

So, after first being promised delivery on Saturday and then guaranteed delivery on Tuesday, I came home from an early shift this morning (Monday) to find a card on the mat from the parcel deliverer telling me he'd left my brand new AJ-45ME with a neighbour!

Anyhow, I collected it from said neighbour, came in, washed my hands put the kettle on and set about unboxing. Gave it a quick once over and everything is in order aside from a couple of little nicks in the fretboard which I can live with.

So lets get the finish out of the way first, seeing as I have been one the more vocal critics. It's actually not as bad as I feared, I would still have preferred a gloss finish but although I was sceptical about the satin letting the wood vibrate more there may well be something in that. I'm still not convinced that it will age well, looks wise, but only time will tell. I'm pretty sure that if was a natural guitar the satin finish would have been much less of an issue.

And then I strummed a big G chord. OMG! Who cares what this guitar looks like? The sound is out of this world! I love this guitar! Tone is sublime. I just sat and played for 2 hours, never even got to drink my tea, couldn't put the AJ down. Go on then Mick give me your best shot, I deserve it [rolleyes]

Taken and edited a couple of quick pics:

Here she is

post-70325-005612500 1449498658_thumb.jpg

With her big sister

post-70325-090759000 1449498547_thumb.jpg

My entire harem (I know who's going to be getting all the attention for a while [biggrin])

post-70325-011046900 1449498682_thumb.jpg

I'd love to stay and chat but I have an amazing new guitar to play!

Irish all I can say is two things. Congrats and I feckin told ya. OK then three things, aint they sweet? Enjoy (four things)!!!

There's a fella selling an AJ500RCE (one of the plec'd models) about 30 miles from me for £250. I've always wanted a Masterbilt; might have to take a trip...

I can only say positive things about Masterbilts, if I had the cash and somebody offered me another one right now I would take it in an instant. Dodger, if he hasn't sold it already go see him.

Yeah, I noticed the prices had gone back up, can't believe what a fantastic deal I got.

Hey Irish,

I too have the DR-500MCE. Is there enough of a difference in sound to justify me getting the AJ-45ME? they are both spruce over hog dred size guitars. The picture of the two side by side is gorgeous!

Nyghthawk,

Thanks.

Absolutely, two totally different animals. You don't need me to tell you what a superb guitar the DR-500MCE is, well the AJ is also a superb guitar but it's a completely different guitar. I spent most of my morning at work trying to come up with a decent metaphor that best describes the difference so maybe this will help: if the DR500 is your meat and potatoes (steak and fries, whatever) then the AJ-45 is your apple pie and ice cream.

If you think you might like this guitar then you probably will.

Let me add my congrats (or ,as they say where you live now-Gefeliciteerd!). I can almost see your smile all the way back here in Canada.I own a DR-500MCE and concur with your opinion as to it's quality The other day I finally had a chance to play the 2015 AJ-45 and you're right-it's a different animal. A very lovely one, but different.I know you're going to enjoy it, I-R.Cheers.

It seems we need a new acronym. Instead of HNGD, we need ENGD - ecstatic new guitar day. Major congrats, Rover!

Maybe I was a bit OTT, I turned into a teenage girl there for a while. I think I may have actually squealed when I strummed that first chord [biggrin]. But it just blew me away and continues to do so.

Thanks Cougar.

Let me add my congrats (or ,as they say where you live now-Gefeliciteerd!). I can almost see your smile all the way back here in Canada.I own a DR-500MCE and concur with your opinion as to it's quality The other day I finally had a chance to play the 2015 AJ-45 and you're right-it's a different animal. A very lovely one, but different.I know you're going to enjoy it, I-R.Cheers.

Dank je wel jongen.

IR is that a recording king parlour too? How does that sound?

It's a Recording King "Dirty 30's" RPH-05. I think it's a great, fun little guitar - 12 frets, bone nut and saddle, solid spruce top and laminated "white wood" back and sides. I did read somewhere that the white wood is in fact birch but I couldn't swear to that. It has a very dry sound that is a little "boxy". It's perfect for noodling on the couch in front of the tv.

Don't get me wrong, you're not going to hear Keb Mo playing one anytime soon, but for what it is and what it cost it's just the ticket.

Hey Dodger,

I know Masterbilts are great, but two questions about yours.

What kind of batteries does it take, and where and how is the battery stored?

Thanks, and enjoy your new guitar!

Thought Dodger had picked up a Masterbilt on the sly there for a minute. [biggrin]

Both Masterbilts use 2 lithium ion batteries. On the DR-500MCE they sit in the eSonic unit on top of the guitar and on the AJ they're in the unit in the soundhole, so I guess you need someone with tiny fingers or you'll have to slacken the strings off to replace them.

It's a Recording King "Dirty 30's" RPH-05. I think it's a great, fun little guitar - 12 frets, bone nut and saddle, solid spruce top and laminated "white wood" back and sides. I did read somewhere that the white wood is in fact birch but I couldn't swear to that. It has a very dry sound that is a little "boxy". It's perfect for noodling on the couch in front of the tv.

Don't get me wrong, you're not going to hear Keb Mo playing one anytime soon, but for what it is and what it cost it's just the ticket.

Looks the part - I said before that I was thinking of a parlour guitar and that one caught my eye. Noodling in front of the TV is exactly what I want mine for too!

Just found this - seems it's been out a while (YouTube video, not guitar)- sounds nice

I did actually see this last week just before I ordered mine. Much more accurate representation of the sound than the Dawsons review IMHO.

But why oh why do I always read the comments? First one - "is this a nylon string?". [confused] Slaps own forehead in despair.

I did actually see this last week just before I ordered mine. Much more accurate representation of the sound than the Dawsons review IMHO.

But why oh why do I always read the comments? First one - "is this a nylon string?". [confused] Slaps own forehead in despair.

I saw that "nylon string" comment - Numpties - they get everywhere [cursing]

Archived