Trouble keeping in tune

Jsinicropi

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll keep you posted

Can we take a vote on that? :rolleyes:

Ok, we have gone ahead and changed the nut to a TUSQ standard nut and low and behold it's perfect. My ears or that guitar was not hearing it, in tune with that nut... It sounded out of tune to me. My tech claims that our ears are used to hearing the guitar out of tune using a standard nut which has been going on for years of course. He claims that compensated nuts are actually intune and our ears hear it as out of tune.

Well whatever. I like standard nuts.

Ok, we have gone ahead and changed the nut to a TUSQ standard nut and low and behold it's perfect. My ears or that guitar was not hearing it, in tune with that nut... It sounded out of tune to me. My tech claims that our ears are used to hearing the guitar out of tune using a standard nut which has been going on for years of course. He claims that compensated nuts are actually intune and our ears hear it as out of tune.

Where does this "tech" work so I don't accidentally let him touch a guitar if I'm in your town?

rct

... My tech claims that our ears are used to hearing the guitar out of tune using a standard nut which has been going on for years of course. He claims that compensated nuts are actually intune and our ears hear it as out of tune. ...

Now that's funny! [biggrin]

Me too. [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Hello!

So Your guitar had a sticking nut?

You could've saved Yourself from lot of hassle, if You had lubricated the nut. As it was suggested to You many times. It wouldn't have cost You a penny.

Bence.

Since changing out the nut for the Tusq nut I have had 0 issues and the LP stays in perfect tune... just sayn.

Guest Farnsbarns

Since changing out the nut for the Tusq nut I have had 0 issues and the LP stays in perfect tune... just sayn.

There's a surprise. Never return to those techs. This could be solved by logical analysis alone. Anyone who didnt realise it was the nut from the information available should put away their tools and stop Fing with other people's gear.

Happy to hear you got it sorted.

Also, I hope you have learned a lot and maybe got a decent luthier to go to in the future.

Just on the topic of tuning...

I watched a Joe Walsh (of all people) video, did a little Gibson quick guitar setup. Had an amazing ear, I tell you.

Anyway, he goes over tuning, and it's especially applicable to Gibson's. When I bought my Studio Pro, then later my SGJ (which was actually better staying in tune), I didn't think I'd buy any more Gibson's. Guy at church had the same problem.

Freaking G string. I tried pencil graphite in the nut, it helped some.

Then I watched that video, and I tune my guitars every time like that. Usually, I'll pull them out of the case, and they'll be in tune, stay in tune, until I put them away.

Unless, with the weather changes, as the neck warms up it changes pitch a little.

But, my damn G string never goes out of tune, and I now actually view them, as pretty solid guitars, which is why I keep buying them. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that in the past Gibsons usually, or at least much of the time they needed fret work. Since they've been setting up the frets and nut with the PLEK system I've been really pleased as is from the factory. I've done a little bit on the fret ends, but I've checked them with my straight edge and found them all to be really true as is. I've found that in some cases, such as the fret set up, as is is very comfortable for me. I guess not all of them are set up with the PLEK machine, but apparently all of my newer ones were, and especially Standards and Traditionals. Oh Well. Not the same for everyone I suppose.

Archived