Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Maestro problems..advice appreciated.

wyatt earp

I purchased a 00' Angus SG Signature off of ebay. Claimed to be "mint condition. I payed $2k for it. It really is in great shape but there were a few flaws I discovered. The A string tuners' "Gibson Deluxe" casing cover was loose, about to break off. I took it apart and was able to solder the casing back to the screw mounting plate, luckily. The other flaw I found was the whammy bar plastic handle was cracked. And lastly. The maestro spring is resting on the pickguard. As shown below. Not sure if I should take it off and try tweaking it in a vise (with leather protection of course) or buy a new spring all together. Thank you for your time!

Snapchat-896974892643509405_zpslq8nm47p.jpg

That is made from spring steel...VERY hard. You will probably ruin it if you put it in a vise. Allparts has a replacement. I have not seen one up close, but there are many that say it is good. It will also correct the very shallow break angle you have there.

That is made from spring steel...VERY hard. You will probably ruin it if you put it in a vise. Allparts has a replacement. I have not seen one up close, but there are many that say it is good. It will also correct the very shallow break angle you have there.

Thank you. I may try to carefully tweak it into place. Maybe with a little heat. I am very familiar with the strength/brittleness of spring steel being a farmer. If all goes to hell I'll get a replacement. One other thing I noticed is the truss rod cover is VERY crooked. Damn near 1/4 inch from being straight. I'm shocked to see this on a high end guitar! Sometimes Gibson really makes me shake my head. But ya gotta love'em!

Thank you. I may try to carefully tweak it into place. Maybe with a little heat. I am very familiar with the strength/brittleness of spring steel being a farmer. If all goes to hell I'll get a replacement. One other thing I noticed is the truss rod cover is VERY crooked. Damn near 1/4 inch from being straight. I'm shocked to see this on a high end guitar! Sometimes Gibson really makes me shake my head. But ya gotta love'em!

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you got a real SG?

Truss-rod covers beyond alignment occasionally do occur as well as off-center tops, strap buttons, or poorly aligned machine heads, but this one seems to be rather far off. The Maestro is some sketchy device. The two of mine do vary strongly, but I love my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs which by the way have poor and rather different alignments of bevels and pickguards, too.

Be very careful with the spring steel plate! I would leave that alone, but if you decide to apply any force and heat, wearing eye protection is imperative!

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you got a real SG?

I think some detailed pics would be informative.

Truss-rod covers beyond alignment occasionally do occur as well as off-center tops, strap buttons, or poorly aligned machine heads, but this one seems to be rather far off. The Maestro is some sketchy device. The two of mine do vary strongly, but I love my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs which by the way have poor and rather different alignments of bevels and pickguards, too.

Be very careful with the spring steel plate! I would leave that alone, but if you decide to apply any force and heat, wearing eye protection is imperative!

I think some detailed pics would be informative.

Snapchat-1262803016754214415_zpsrazdze8i.jpg

the person that drilled the holes for the truss rod cover must have forgot his glasses that day...

I know right! Pretty shocking. Luckily I can stick a small dowl and glue in that hole and re-drill it centered without the factory hole being visible

the person that drilled the holes for the truss rod cover must have forgot his glasses that day...

Yep. :(

This guitar is doubtlessly a legit Gibson.

Though the lower edge of the Maestro cover is hidden by the case plush on the pic, it looks like it was mounted nicely aligned. Perhaps the problem with the spring plate touching the pickguard can be solved with another one. As mentioned in my previous post, they obviously are varying strongly. The both of my FZ "Roxy" SGs have rather different string breaking angles though they are set up with pretty equal bridge heights.

Yep. :(

This guitar is doubtlessly a legit Gibson.

Though the lower edge of the Maestro cover is hidden by the case plush on the pic, it looks like it was mounted nicely aligned. Perhaps the problem with the spring plate touching the pickguard can be solved with another one. As mentioned in my previous post, they obviously are varying strongly. The both of my FZ "Roxy" SGs have rather different string breaking angles though they are set up with pretty equal bridge heights.

Actually now that you mentioned it..the maestro cover is poorly aligned against the body. I took the cover off and tightened the rear screws. Made the alignemt slightly better. But I just left it at that. It must have been assembled by the same guy that drilled the truss rod cover [glare]

Here are some details on varying alignments on two Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs - Schaller STMC roller bridges are mods. I just recognized that there is a difference in neck angles, too. The bridge and pickup heights are varying despite of virtually same string height (not shown). Sorry for all the danders - these ladies get played: [biggrin]

IMG_1610_zpsyw9qia9x.jpg

IMG_1608_zps070xqfls.jpg

IMG_1614_zpst5q1bccl.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsnhurlzhn.jpg

IMG_1248_zps4wyslzbu.jpg

IMG_1246_zpsjtiw3yud.jpg

And here's a total front view:

IMG_0448_zpslb9ozlfp.jpg

WOW! [scared] That must have been drilled right at closing time, on a Friday evening!

In all the years I've been using Gibson's, and looking at and buying them, I must admit, I've

NEVER seen a TRC alignment that far off. And, the other things the OP complains about, make

me wonder as well, if it wasn't a last minute "throw it together, before closing, on a weekend?!

How it got out of the factory, like that, is another question. Although, some do, as we all know! [tongue]

I'd definitely take it to a Gibson repair service, or at least a qualified Luthier, and have

all your concerns addressed!

CB

Here are some details on varying alignments on two Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs - Schaller STMC roller bridges are mods. I just recognized that there is a difference in neck angles, too. The bridge and pickup heights are varying despite of virtually same string height (not shown). Sorry for all the danders - these ladies get played: [biggrin]

IMG_1610_zpsyw9qia9x.jpg

IMG_1608_zps070xqfls.jpg

IMG_1614_zpst5q1bccl.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsnhurlzhn.jpg

IMG_1248_zps4wyslzbu.jpg

IMG_1246_zpsjtiw3yud.jpg

And here's a total front view:

IMG_0448_zpslb9ozlfp.jpg

Nice SG's! That just goes to show no two Gibson's are alike! But why two "identical" guitars? Just curious 8-[

Archived