Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me about the EPI 56 Goldtop PRO model

shakey64

IM itching for a Gold top with P90's!

I had one years ago, around 99, 2000. After I sold it, I bought one of the Agile Gold tops from Rondo. Which was ok, very sparkly, but the honeymoon wore off and sold that. I'm Gassing for a gold top again...and I see the latest incarnation of the 56

is the PRO model in Metallic Gold. I read somewhere has improved ALNICO P 90's over previous years models?? That would be great. I see the price is around $499 online.

I have the Chicago Blue model and love it. I have been playing it most of the afternoon. It does have a chunky neck, and not being chambered it weighs a lot, but it sounds and plays great.

At $499.00 it beats all heck out if the Gibson Les Paul Studio and 50s Tribute models I own, and it's a couple of hundred bucks less.

I have a black one. The pickups are very good indeed, overall the guitar is flawless, plays great. I haven't much bonded with it though, so I'll probably let it go soon. Nothing wrong with the sound at all, just not my type I guess.

rct

I've got one of the original Epi 1956's but didn't rate the pickups and swopped them out for Kinman noiseless P90s which are very good indeed. You can also put them out of phase when using both via a push / pull switch.

I expect the Pro version is better so you might not feel you have to swop pickups. However, that said, there are many who own these guitars and find the pickups ok anyway.

I recently picked one up. Out of upgrade-itis I tried replacing the pickups and the wiring. I put a stewmac 50's wiring kit in, but I didn't find any aftermarket p'ups that were better than the ones that came with it. They sound really raw and Mean. I like them alot.

I have an older '56 GT. I almost sold it until I found out I could drop a set of minis in it. I use too many pedals for P-90s, and try as I might, I just don't like them. Way too noisy for me. I had an Epi '57 Jr. too, and sold it. I love my GT now. I put a set of Gibson minis in it and I couldn't be happier. I love the neck profile, very similar to the Agile AL series, I have 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a black one. The pickups are very good indeed, overall the guitar is flawless, plays great. I haven't much bonded with it though, so I'll probably let it go soon. Nothing wrong with the sound at all, just not my type I guess.

rct

my son just got one also black with white pick guard & white alnico p90 pups ,,it a helluva a guitar in my opinion,,sounds great great has a bit chunkier neck than the standard i have ,,but i think it sounds better

Archived