Gibson Brands Forums

Chimey noise from Frequensator tail piece

yoda

Hey,

I bought a Union Jack Sheraton. I love it, it sounds awesome. The only drawback I've noticed is that if I really dig in, the strings between the bridge and tail piece 'chime' a lot. I like the tail piece, I think it looks very nice on the guitar. It seems to stay in tune nicely, and you can bend the strings a mile. Has anyone else noticed this? I've put tape on the strings in that area and it seems to help, a lot. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any solutions.

Thanks,

Yoda

I have a couple of guitars with the frequentsator. I think what you're describing is inherently part of the nature of this type of tailpiece. I personally dig the extra tone I am getting, but I can see why some players would be bugged by it.

I've read that some players to cut down on some of the extra vibrations will get themselves a fairly thick piece of foam rubber and wedge it down between the body and the tailpiece behind the bridge. For you, that may be all you need.

Good luck and be sure to check back and let us all know how that works out for you. Whatever solution you ultimately come up with could help others down the line.

All guitars are subject to this sort of thing in some ways. But obviously, some more than others. I once had a Strat that actually vibrated on the trem springs enough to hear it.

I think if it is an asset, or a drawback, depends on the player. I think MOST of the time, the sympathetic vibrations that put the strings in motion are related to the notes played. I usually like the results, and would rather keep the guitar as it is for that extra it does and just have more guitars. But some, it's something they don't like or want to have to work around.

I guess what I mean to say, is judge the extra resonances on their own merits, before you seek to get rid of them just because they "shouldn't be there". No wrong or right.

A friend of mine had that "problem" and he solved it, by placing a "fuzzy" 1" wide strip of velcro interlaced between the tailpiece shafts.

That way, he can remove it, at any time, without any negative impact. Don't use the "male" (hook) portion of the velcro, as it tends to "buzz"

in that same application.

CB

Archived