Gibson Brands Forums

"Joe Blakes"

Digger

For al you Yanks that are paranoid about our Aussie wildlife and how dangerous it is here I just thought I'd say that I haven't seen a snake here for over 12 months!

I live on 15 acres of typical Aussie bush and am about the place most days. The last time I saw a snake here was this time a year ago when I cruised past a red bellied black on my tractor. The snake was within striking distance of my leg when I passed him but ignored me and went about his business.

Dunno what you're all going on about!

Grin~

Digger is it edible?

Ian

I imagine so Ian, most snakes are though I haven't tried snake at all.

Living here you learn not to mess with them unless you have to, and then only with a 12 gauge!

I don't like Spiders & Snakes! I think someone wrote a song about that, maybe Jim Stafford or something. [biggrin] Are there getting to be less snakes in Aust. these days or was it always that slim pickings with seeing them around that 15 acres?

If they bite, and that bite really is a KILLER bite, then I shoot first and ask questions later. A revolver that shoots .410 shot & .45 slugs is the ticket. Shotgun shells for the 1st 2 shots, then a couple of .45's, then back to shotgun shell with Buckshot. That's my idea of an outdoors shoot'n iron when in snake country. I can squeeze off the first 2 shots fast enough to get to the .45's if necessary.

The gun is call "The Judge" and is avail. in revolver & rifle style both. Hell of a long cylinder.

Taurus_Judge_Magnum_zps5e6duipq.jpg

I don't like Spiders & Snakes! I think someone wrote a song about that, maybe Jim Stafford or something. [biggrin] Are there getting to be less snakes in Aust. these days or was it always that slim pickings with seeing them around that 15 acres?

If they bite, and that bite really is a KILLER bite, then I shoot first and ask questions later. A revolver that shoots .410 shot & .45 slugs is the ticket. Shotgun shells for the 1st 2 shots, then a couple of .45's, then back to shotgun shell with Buckshot. That's my idea of an outdoors shoot'n iron when in snake country. I can squeeze off the first 2 shots fast enough to get to the .45's if necessary.

The gun is call "The Judge" and is avail. in revolver & rifle style both. Hell of a long cylinder.

Taurus_Judge_Magnum_zps5e6duipq.jpg

I have no idea about snake populations "A" sorry. I doubt they vary much to be honest and we have plenty of them here but they are keen to avoid humans where they can. If they have young then they can be aggressive towards us, but in reality the majority of people here that get bitten are trying to mess with the snake. Some are incautious and others are just plain unlucky!

They aren't the problem that many of you seem to imagine.

I won't try to harm them unless they are around the house and then the stand off capability of the shotgun is a prudent approach. I have killed them with sticks and shovels but that is asking to get bitten really. I never need a second shot with the 12 gauge!

Mostly I leave native stuff alone as it's meant to be here, rabbits however are another story!

I wouldn't go on any "Reptile Cleansing" campaign but would have a perimeter that I considered mine for the house/yard. I know what you mean about people doing stupid things or just not being aware of their situation/surroundings. That puts them at risk for all sorts of peril.

And don't forget those Delicious Blackberry's they mandate you to burn. That would be a rough one for me. I'd have to have a patch I didn't run onto and harvest them (just like people growing dope over here). [biggrin]

Aster

I live in rural southeastern Colorado, and several species of snakes are part of the natural fauna, here - bullsnakes, garter snakes, hognose snakes, prairie rattlers and racers. I started catching them as a small kid for temporary pets (no rattlers, of course).

I've long since stopped the practice of keeping any snakes, but I respect them as much as ever and appreciate them for the role they play in natural pest control. I still catch 'em, but only to remove them from road surfaces to prevent an imminent death; I keep a snake hook in the back of my car to move rattlers.

A big problem I have with my fellow citizens is ignorance - I've probably heard just about every old wive's tale, rumor, and outright fallacy people tend to spread about snakes, and it never ceases to depress me when I hear such things coming from the mouths of otherwise educated adults.

I would encourage anyone who kills, harrasses, or goes out of their way to interfere with snakes to consider just leaving them be; OUR environment will benefit! [smile]

Well there! Writing this thread must have mozzed me as I saw the "mother of all" brown snakes this morning!

I was doing dishes and glanced out the side window to see something large heading for a garden bed, not 15 feet from the end of out entertainment area! All I could see was the head and about 2 feet of body but it look weird, sort of deformed and I couldn't see the rest of the body at all?

I figure that the body was flattened into the contour of the ground and on reflection the head was distorted with something that must have been a large rat just swallowed. I estimate that the snake would have been 6' or larger, and Eastern Browns are the species responsible for most snake bite fatalities in this country.

So despite hating to kill snakes, this is just too close to the house and so I got my shotgun out and have it available should I see it again. I'm running armed guard service to the clothes line and back and have circumnavigated the round garden bed a few times but nothing sighted.

I'm more concerned for my dog than anything and have kept her inside for the day.

From today I will be armed and dangerous when moving about as I have a lot of respect for this species of snake.

Don't you guys have some Aboriginal equivalent to an Irish "Fetch & come hither to" spell? That'd bring the snake into the open so you could use use C-RAM's snake hook on him/her and relocate to the Zoo. [biggrin] [biggrin]

Watch out for that beast. Don't they lay kinda low for a few days/week if it ate a rat or something like that? I'd hate to send out our two boys with anything like that out & about. Bad enough when I smell a skunk walked past the patio and take them out. That would only be a mess & inconvenient esp. before I'd have to go into work. Not a live & die proposition.

Be careful, but I know you're well experienced in the wild.

Aster

Don't you guys have some Aboriginal equivalent to an Irish "Fetch & come hither to" spell? That'd bring the snake into the open so you could use use C-RAM's snake hook on him/her and relocate to the Zoo. [biggrin] [biggrin]

Watch out for that beast. Don't they lay kinda low for a few days/week if it ate a rat or something like that? I'd hate to send out our two boys with anything like that out & about. Bad enough when I smell a skunk walked past the patio and take them out. That would only be a mess & inconvenient esp. before I'd have to go into work. Not a live & die proposition.

Be careful, but I know you're well experienced in the wild.

Aster

Thanks "A" but not messing with this bugger unless it's with a load of buckshot, far too dangerous!

Your thoughts about them lying up after a feed are in line with mine and then it may move on, but there are rats and mice in the vicinity of my chook house and shed, so it might just decide to hang around a source of food.

Then there are swamp rats and other small furry animals around and in the dam. Frogs and lizards too!

I'll keep the gun with me hoping for an opportunity again.

Haint ya seen anything of Mr. Scales yet? Better get the night surveillance goggles on. I would what to pluck him off with a long shot & scope sniper style just so I didn't get close. Esp. if it was a trap them reptilians were laying for you!

Haint ya seen anything of Mr. Scales yet? Better get the night surveillance goggles on. I would what to pluck him off with a long shot & scope sniper style just so I didn't get close. Esp. if it was a trap them reptilians were laying for you!

Nah mate, reckon he's moved on. My reaction time with the shottie is pretty good even if he's ambushing me. Seeing one like that just makes me a bit more cautious, think where I'm going and such.

These snakes operate during the day so no probs. at night.

I'm more dangerous than him, provided I can see him!

Archived