Gibson Brands Forums

2014 SGJ........greatest year ever?

norcalpiper

Hi all-

Over the past year I have purchased 6 gibsons (For my son and I). 2 of the best guitars I have ever played were in this group and were 2014 anniversary models....a melody maker, and an LPJ. Flawless workmanship, flawless build, flawless sound....just great stuff.

I just ordered another 2014 off of Zzounds, a matching SGJ for my LPJ. If it is the quality I'm experiencing with my other 2014s , it will be great.

So my question is, and i guess its only mildly related to SG's, but is there a year(s) known for great gibsons? Is 2014 known for such sound and quality? Opinions welcome.

Hi all-

Over the past year I have purchased 6 gibsons (For my son and I). 2 of the best guitars I have ever played were in this group and were 2014 anniversary models....a melody maker, and an LPJ. Flawless workmanship, flawless build, flawless sound....just great stuff.

I just ordered another 2014 off of Zzounds, a matching SGJ for my LPJ. If it is the quality I'm experiencing with my other 2014s , it will be great.

So my question is, and i guess its only mildly related to SG's, but is there a year(s) known for great gibsons? Is 2014 known for such sound and quality? Opinions welcome.

There are dogs and gems from every year ever made in all manufacturers lines. Gibson is certainly no exception. Luck of the draw, especially when bought sight unseen... best of luck and let us know how it measured up!

Don't know, about overall great years. BUT, for ME, 2013 was a banner year, for Gibson SG's!

They returned to the '61's beveling, and horn tapering, that defined the SG, for me! And, after

nearly 40 years, of not owning and SG, I went "SG Crazy" and bought 4, that year.

See Below:

DSC_93431_zps963e0ebb.jpg

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

So, MY favorite year, was (obviously) 2013! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Oh wow!! Thats incredible! I agree with you. I have a 2013 Sg 60's tribute and a 50's tribute LP which are great, but both needed a good setup before all systems go, and the sg's G string was in i tonatable, so we cha ged the bridge to tusq and provlem solved somehow. But yeah, they're both incredible guitars.

The rest are 2015s that I'm trying to actually sell. Very poor QC on these.

People talk of Gibson having both 'gems and dogs' as SGgypsyboy puts it, but I can say in all honesty I have never seen or played one of the bad Gibson's. I tried out a bunch over the years in various shops and I own 17 with a fair few of them being mail order and not seen/ played before purchase and they were all flawless. In the UK some models are nearly impossible to try out various examples of as most places don't stock them. This was the case when I bought my L5CES recently and my ES-5 a few years back. None of mine needed a set up either, the only thing was to adjust the bridge saddles on some of them for intonation. I have a few Epi's which I have had to adjust, but even with these they only had minor issues, such as having too high action and a few imperfections.

I don't doubt a small number of not so great Gibson's slip though quality control, but in about 20 years of playing them I have never seen or played any bad ones!

Btw, the ones I have are from 1997, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 1 SG Special from 2016! These include models from Gibson USA, Nashville Custom, Montana and Memphis.

2014 is one of the best years in recent Gibson history for quality IMO. Every 2014 I've played is flawless and plays beautifully. I think thee folks at Gibby paid extra attention to the details that year because of the anniversary thing. Just my opinion. I've owned Gibsons made in the 1970's to present, and my 2014 LP Classic is my all time fave.

Archived