Gibson Brands Forums

NPD X3

JayinLA

Traded almost my entire pedal board yesterday for these 3 wonderful pedals. I got the Fulltone OCD Drive pedal that is so diverse I absolutely love it. From dirty fuzz to super-wet 80's high gain stuff, to blues drive it does it all. So with the 3 channels on my amp, It now is effectively 4. I tried over 20 drive and fuzz pedals over the last few days. It came down to the Fuzz Metal, and the OCD. The OCD was the winner.

The Bad Horsey 2 is Steve Vai's wah. It is the only wah I will ever need. The great thing about it is that it has basically 2 settings and a countouring and level adjustment. So, unlike many wahs that work great in clean and lower gain/blues drive type settings, it works equally as well in high-gain Kirk Hammet territory without screwing with the tone or dirtying up the mix. Great wah, if you are willing to "pony up" ...bu-dum-dum-ching! [laugh]

The TC Electronics delay is a fabulous delay. Essentially it contains every delay ever made with the Tone print technology. I can actually put my Iphone, android, or tablet and cycle through a menu of hundreds of delays in real time with the pedal. Super cool stuff. I most always run a faint but late delay, mainly because I just don't care for a dry guitar.

I have ditched my phasers all together, and have a great hi-def reverb on my amp. So basically all my tone shaping needs are met with my 3 channel beast of a triple rectifier 100 watt amp, and these 3 outstanding pedals.

Next order: Make a simple board. Only need about 10" X 5" now instead of that damn monstrosity of a pedal board (which was part of my trade bait yesterday). Gave up some sweet stuff, but ultimately a win, as I have all I want and need going forward.

If anyone wants a live review of any of these pedals P.M. me and I'll shoot a video review of any of em for you.

With some of this stuff less really is more isn't it.

One thing I even surprised myself on was my Holy Grail verb pedal which I honestly bought just cuz I was bored. I put this in the fx loop of my Marshall combo, and Holy Crap! it's 10x better than the spring tank that's loaded in the bottom of the Marshall.

And as you also know Jay, as we've discussed this separately, the HyperGravity compressor from TC Electronics is a new arrival. The tone print stuff is just the bomb!

I don't use much myself in the lines of effects, a decent chorus on hand (used sparingly) and a transparent delay and compressor are just about all a guy needs if the amp is providing you all the mojo you're looking for.

we'll need a "show us your pedal board" once you craft one up.

With some of this stuff less really is more isn't it.

One thing I even surprised myself on was my Holy Grail verb pedal which I honestly bought just cuz I was bored. I put this in the fx loop of my Marshall combo, and Holy Crap! it's 10x better than the spring tank that's loaded in the bottom of the Marshall.

And as you also know Jay, as we've discussed this separately, the HyperGravity compressor from TC Electronics is a new arrival. The tone print stuff is just the bomb!

I don't use much myself in the lines of effects, a decent chorus on hand (used sparingly) and a transparent delay and compressor are just about all a guy needs if the amp is providing you all the mojo you're looking for.

we'll need a "show us your pedal board" once you craft one up.

Yeah Bro.. To say I'm impressed with the TC line would be a gross under-statement. On Tone Print their at least 4 dozen chorus patches that I can run on my delay pedal. It's incredible. It used to be that pre-amp effects boxes that could do these type of things were 15 lbs and cost 10X more.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I can shurely say that anyone who is looking for some great pedals would be really missing out to not try out the TC line.

(I sound like a damn spokesperson, but really, It's that cool.)!!

The TC Toneprint is a great idea. I recently bought a Hall Of Fame Mini reverb pedal and spent hours trying out all the reverbs. My 1971 Princeton has vibrato built in instead of reverb, so a good reverb pedal was a must. I have not tried the TC delay, mainly because I love my MXR Carbon Copy. I may have to grab one some day.

Nice, I always was curious abot the toneprint stuff since I saw some videos.

I also would like to keep it as simple as I can.

I don't like spending to much time bent over turning knobs instead of playing.

Have to check out that wah!

@Kidblast: I totally agree about the Holy Grail, I own the Cathedral and the Holy Grail setting is the one I use most of the time.

The tone print editor for the hyper gravity looks a bit daunting at first. but it does start to make sense after a few minutes poking around with it.

I was impressed with a few of the presets from the library too, but if you don't want to hassle with that stuff, the two modes (Spectra and Vintage) work just fine.

If you're trying out delays, it seems The Alter Ego is a pretty good sounding one. For me, may be next on the GAS list.

C.O. the EH stuff is great too, it always has been. I never thought I'd care to use a reverb pedal, opting for the amps reverb as I don't use much, but the Holy Grail sounds so much better than the accutroncis spring tank

Archived