Gibson Brands Forums

Hendrix tribute to The Cream, Lulu Show.

pippy

Mucking about tonight on the Strat playing 'Hey Joe' and morphed into 'Sunshine...' which reminded me of where I came by the habit...

The Lulu Show.

This broadcast was a great landmark for many reasons.

At around the 0:50 mark Hendrix is given the 'Cut!' direction from off-camera.

Apparently the producers of the show were furious because Jimi had over-run already and Lulu (the 'Star' of the programme, obviously) was about to miss her scheduled 'outro'.

Also apparently Lulu (who had personally insisted the producers showcase The Experience as she was a huge [Ho!Ho!] fan) was delighted by the closing number.

Props to Lulu!

[thumbup]

Enjoy!

Pip.

I remember watching it enthralled.....yes I said enthralled!

The audio for this classic of Hendrixian utter cool is on "The BBC Sessions" which I have on a 2CD set.

That also contains 3 takes of "Drivin' South", the most staggering of which has been ruthlessly edited by the implacable Eddie Kramer for reasons I don't know, but I have a very lo-fi version of the complete take on the "Live Experience" bootleg which faithfully replicates the 'experience' of listening to it on a medium-wave mono wireless receiver.

Think it was on the Light Programme, unless after Sept 30 1967 which was the Radio 1 start date; Jimi even recorded a "Radio 1 Theme" on one session.

Up to then in the 1960s BBC transmitted to UK on the Home Service, the Light Programme and the Third Programme. European spelling.

Must've only just been blocked overnight, I viewed it from the US only 12 hours or so ago.

Yeah that's weird. I watched it last night fine, but now it's blocked. :-k

I've seen this footage before, and have always been curious. When Jimi makes some kind of comment "no matter what kind of band Cream might be" ( paraphrased) , was that a shot at the band? I was never sure if he was honoring Cream or mocking them.

Yeah that's weird. I watched it last night fine, but now it's blocked. :-k

I've seen this footage before, and have always been curious. When Jimi makes some kind of comment "no matter what kind of band Cream might be" ( paraphrased) , was that a shot at the band? I was never sure if he was honoring Cream or mocking them.

I wouldn't say mocking so much as challenging Eric.

There is a well known tendency for guitar players to challenge one another to musical gunfights, and Jimi certainly was well armed.

...When Jimi makes some kind of comment "no matter what kind of band Cream might be" ( paraphrased) , was that a shot at the band?...
...I wouldn't say mocking so much as challenging Eric...

The Cream had just announced that they were breaking up.

Hendrix was 'dedicating' the song to "...Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce..." as both a tribute and a thank-you.

Clapton and Jimi were actually friends. From what I remember (I read about it a LONG time ago) one of The Cream's first warm-up gigs was played at the Student's Union of London University. Jimi was in the audience and was asked to come up and play (the whole of the second set?) with the band.

Pip.

From what I remember (I read about it a LONG time ago) one of The Cream's first warm-up gigs was played at the Student's Union of London University. Jimi was in the audience and was asked to come up and play (the whole of the second set?) with the band.

Pip.

In most of the biographies it states that Chas Chandler took Jimi along (with his guitar obviously) and blagged Cream into letting him play one number which was "Killing Floor" taken at Jimi's customary fast tempo. Baker wasn't too pleased that his new bands gig had been interrupted but played along anyway, Clapton stood to one side with his mouth open and Jack Bruce went home afterwards inspired and wrote the riff to "Sunshine Of Your Love".

So the legend goes....

Thanks very much for that input, jdgm!

I hadn't heard that part of the story. I can't even remember where I read the ULU gig mentioned - it was merely mentioned in passing - so your info is much much better 'rounded-out'!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Mucking about tonight on the Strat playing 'Hey Joe' and morphed into 'Sunshine...' which reminded me of where I came by the habit...

The Lulu Show.

This broadcast was a great landmark for many reasons.

At around the 0:50 mark Hendrix is given the 'Cut!' direction from off-camera.

Apparently the producers of the show were furious because Jimi had over-run already and Lulu (the 'Star' of the programme, obviously) was about to miss her scheduled 'outro'.

Also apparently Lulu (who had personally insisted the producers showcase The Experience as she was a huge [Ho!Ho!] fan) was delighted by the closing number.

Props to Lulu!

[thumbup]

Enjoy!

Pip.

This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Archived