Gibson Brands Forums

Spilt beer on my LP

Liam Brightman

And the film is conductive.

What would conduct in there as the copper wire is hard enamel coated to be an insulator or the winding wouldn't work as a coil. May leave a film but it's non-damaging to paint, enamels, & electronic parts. The coating would protect the iron after it was dry.

Any solvent you introduce into the pickup is likely to be far more damaging than the beer that's in there.

I'd be more worried about the beer damaging the finish than the pickups.

Don't fix what ain't Broke.

Aren't most pups potted Searcy? Isn't it a hot wax pored in to make them mechanically dead?

Aster

... as the copper wire is hard enamel coated to be an insulator or the winding wouldn't work as a coil. May leave a film but it's non-damaging to paint, enamels, & electronic parts. ...

Well, "enamel wire" is just an incorrect name. Any copper wire used for coils is polymer-coated since many decades. Plastics replaced the water-repellent coated textile twines used before. Using enamel is impossible - it is mineral glass and would break.

Deteriorated beer makes an evil and rather corrosive film. The alcohol will become acetic acid that even oxidizes copper when oxygen is present.

What would conduct in there as the copper wire is hard enamel coated to be an insulator or the winding wouldn't work as a coil. May leave a film but it's non-damaging to paint, enamels, & electronic parts. The coating would protect the iron after it was dry.

Not exactly.

Not sure what WD attacks of doesn't, but is does break down many things. I think wax might be one.

I know this from experience: the film it leaves isn't always a good thing. It, in itself, will become goowy and sticky. Goo.

As for conductive, don't know HOW conductive it is, but a lot would depend on how thick, how "dry", and what else it mixed with AS it dries. But to be more clear, the FLUID itself is pretty conductive, and it seldom ever completely dries. So you ARE adding a conductive layer to some degree.

Amp guys HATE it for this reason. A real electronics "cleaner" removes stuff from metals so the metal is cleaner, and more conductive, basically removing oxidation and stuff you don't want. WD does exactly the opposite, in that it mimics a cleaner, when it's just really being a conductive lubricant. Bad, bad news.

Again, the film. WD leaves a film. Always.

You won't get sparks flying or arcs inside your guitar, but imagine a WD soaked cotton coated wire. It's capacitance and electrical properties will change. Or the swiper on a WD soaked pot. If it was 500k, what will it be coated with WD?

Good things to ponder Steiny! For most of our electronics cleaning that we have to do with work we use "Old Reliable" I've used it for 45 yrs (and prolly in it's original formula, is a reason I have chemical allergies [cursing], but most things that REALLY work great are bad for your body or brain in some way)!

tuneowash_zpsf58d4ig2.jpg

Sometime when I ain't trying to get real work done, I'll sit down in our lab (we have a full electronics test gear lab for work) and test WD-40 for any conductivity. I've always use Tune-O-Wash and the version that had a special lube for pots over the years. I will test a pot with some WD & let you know what changes with resistance with the wiper (wet & dried).

Will test the wax in a pot to make sure WD-40 doesn't dissolve that too. I always thought the "potting" was just parifin & beeswax (basic candle wax) but will check into it more since I made a recommendation. I always like to do like a DR. and live the pledge "To do no Harm" when I suggest.

Thanks for making me question what I said to verify.

Aster

Just an update: took the pickups out of the body and looked for anything on the pickups which would indicate the beer did go in. Thankfully no signs. Thanks for your help!

That's pretty much as much as you can do.

And if there was, dry it off best you can, and go on. But I'd venture to guess more people have broken the coils drying off a pup than got damaged from the beer/fluid in the first place.

Archived