Gibson Brands Forums

String Height at the Nut/1st Fret J45

Ferd13

Somebody PLEASE, tell me what the string height is/recommended?

Searched the NET and nothing...

Am I searching something that is evident? Moronic question? I'm willing to assume that label, somebody just give me the specs>>> LOL ;-)

Thanks Dave...

Been all over the place trying to find that... Up here in the Great White North, they (Yorkville Sound:the distributor) yank all that paperwork, including the Lifetime warranty

and give only a year (YA! 1 figgin"year) warranty. That really sucks, and I don't know how they get away with it... I'd like to see the contract they have with Bozeman Montana!

BTW: what's your playing style? Whack-a-Mole like Chris Stapleton, or Dylan-like, or a finger picker?

Another note: how did you do the work? One string at a time?

Press down on the third fret of each string and lightly tap over the first fret. You should hear a slight ping as the string hits the top of the fret. If you don't hear anything, it is resting on the fret and too low. If it takes a heavy hit to make it "ping" then it is probably too high. This isn't precise, but a good test.

1458061515[/url]' post='1751593']

Press down on the third fret of each string and lightly tap over the first fret. You should hear a slight ping as the string hits the top of the fret. If you don't hear anything, it is resting on the fret and too low. If it takes a heavy hit to make it "ping" then it is probably too high. This isn't precise, but a good test.

Hi totally agree with the above . On my warranty booklet these are the set up measurements listed my J45 measures close to the lists below but the bass side at the 12th fret reads 6/64" instead of 7/64"Hope this helps

• 1st fret- treble side- 1/64"
  • 1st fret- bass side- 2/64"
  • 12th fret - treble side- 5/64"
  • 12th fret- bass side- 7/64"

Thanks guys for all the responses; evidently, it was not a moronic question but a proper setup question.

But certainly a moronic answer from jedzep because THAT is evident... [thumbdn]

Cut jedzep some slack. He was stating the obvious, in part because it is a pretty subjective question.

The problem is that there are several separate inputs into the set-up equation, including neck relief, strings, saddle height, heights of nut slots, and playing style. Change one, and all the others may need to change to some extent.

This is where a good luthier or set-up tech can come in handy if you aren't comfortable changing things yourself.

My guy asks me to play something in my typical style on the specific guitar, and then asks what other style or type of music I play. He then starts tweaking the neck relief first--since it's reversible--then moves to the saddle (assuming it was close to start with), the nut, and around the circle again, all in small increments. It doesn't take that long, and it's worth it if you find someone good. They can do magic.

Thanks guys for all the responses; evidently, it was not a moronic question but a proper setup question.

But certainly a moronic answer from jedzep because THAT is evident... [thumbdn]

I wasn't implying the question was moronic, Ferd, so perhaps I didn't phrase the response clearly. I was going for the chuckle but obviously missed the target. With all the correct measurements of ideal string heights now revealed, I stand by my generalized statement. The lowest possible action is the best setup. Last week I got to babysit a friend's '59 Strat. You could exhale on a fret and the note would ring out.

Thanks Nick.

Hey Nick,

Don't sweat it... I was pretty ticked before I even wrote the first line of my first question... My J45 is brand new (though a 2014) and I was (am again) overjoyed at being the owner after a long, long, long, long, (did I mention how long) a wait (retirement) to be able afford one. It was perfect... After many years of waiting and the last four months of searching for, "the one", I found her...

Ok, so get this: I was having issues with the Martin SP Lifespan 12-54 I had put on. The "D" was buzzing at the 3rd and 4th fret,not badly but enough to be annoying when wanting to drive the top a bit more; but more so, I just didn't like the coating on the B and e strings. I found it cumbersome to get a clean "release" from them whilst fingerpicking... They felt downright sticky. YANKED them after only 2 weeks on... Put back my favourite strings that I use on my other gits EXP16.... Ahhhhhhh! but here comes the BIG surprise; the D string did not buzz any longer... ??? Soooo, not being one to let things go without an explanation, I took out my digital caliper and measured the thickness the Martins compared to the d'Addario's. The Martins were all off the mark, according to "their own" specs. Smaller in diameter so the D string probably sat just that much lower in the nut to buzz... Won't be going back to the Martins anytime soon!

So ya see, after having been frustrated enough having gone through the entire checklist of what "could" be wrong with "My Precious" and getting an answer of neck angle and saddle height, well......... Sorry Nick I missed your "tongue-in-cheek answer. :-( [blush]

Hey Nick,

Don't sweat it... I was pretty ticked before I even wrote the first line of my first question... So ya see, after having been frustrated enough having gone through the entire checklist of what "could" be wrong with "My Precious" and getting an answer of neck angle and saddle height, well......... Sorry Nick I missed your "tongue-in-cheek answer. :-( [blush]

Hey, you got it sorted out. That's all that matters. No harm, no foul.

This method has always worked for me.

Archived