Gibson Brands Forums

Solo gig report + footage

EuroAussie

You guys gave me the confidence to send the vids to a couple venues and on the back of themi got a paid gig.

So wanted to say thanks for youe support.

EA

=D>

Bravo.

iPads and video are GREAT for selling gigs. About 13 years ago (long before such things) I sold a solo gig by telling the owner if he didn't make money he didn't owe me a thing. If I made him money it was $ 100.00. I packed it out and he ended up giving me $ 150.00.

Solo gigs can be scary, I've done a bunch, and a tip of the hat to you. Everything from load in / load out, heck just going to the bathroom with all your gear out there unprotected. Even your best friend doesn't love your gear the way you do. And just the thought of being "alone" if you are used to playing with bands, or at least one other player.

I tell you a weird place to play is the Bluebird Café in Nashville with everyone just sitting there dead quiet looking at you. (They have signs on the walls telling the crowd to "be quiet", and "shhhhhh" and stuff.)

Anyhow, Great Job, congrats and best of luck !

Hi Mark,

I'm late to the party on this. but I've got the same feedback as many. I thought your performance was very good all around. It's not an easy task, doing a solo gig. You looked/sounded relaxed, playing wasn't rushed, which can happen.

That room is fairly cavernous, where it would swallow anyone's sound, but for that venue I think you handled it perfectly. There's nothing you can do but, go, setup, play your best, which it seems to me you did.

Good luck in landing some more gigs, you are by far a good enough player and singer to branch out on your own, I've been to enough places to tell ya that you are miles a head of other guys I've seen who do this all the time for pay.

I've only done duo work but, I've been encouraged by many people to try it on my own.

I have plenty of material, maybe some day I'll try.

/Ray

Very supportive words Ray, thank you very much.

Have to say you guys have really given me a lot of self belief, im really looking forward now to doing another run this Friday at the same venue, and branching our beyond to other places .

Thanks again !

Hi Mark,

I'm late to the party on this. but I've got the same feedback as many. I thought your performance was very good all around. It's not an easy task, doing a solo gig. You looked/sounded relaxed, playing wasn't rushed, which can happen.

That room is fairly cavernous, where it would swallow anyone's sound, but for that venue I think you handled it perfectly. There's nothing you can do but, go, setup, play your best, which it seems to me you did.

Good luck in landing some more gigs, you are by far a good enough player and singer to branch out on your own, I've been to enough places to tell ya that you are miles a head of other guys I've seen who do this all the time for pay.

I've only done duo work but, I've been encouraged by many people to try it on my own.

I have plenty of material, maybe some day I'll try.

/Ray

Very supportive words Ray, thank you very much.

Have to say you guys have really given me a lot of self belief, im really looking forward now to doing another run this Friday at the same venue, and branching our beyond to other places .

Thanks again !

Mark, I really belive it's normal to be bit self conscious and over critical.

I guess I'm in the same boat that you're trying to get out of now.

I'm totally fine if I'm in the Duo with the guy I've been working with forever, I've never done a solo gig, despite knowing cold enough songs to do well more than one full night.

I bet if you get a half a dozen of these in your review mirror there will be no stopping you!

Go for it! What's the worse that can happen? you loose some sleep with a late gig? forget a verse, hit a wrong chord in a chorus? Tiddle Winks!

/Ray

EA, I am very envious of you, and all others on the forum, who have both the ability and the guts to perform. I have about eight songs I have written myself, but I don't even have the nerve to perform them at home in front of my loved ones [sad]

You should be proud of your accomplishments.

Lars

EA, I am very envious of you, and all others on the forum, who have both the ability and the guts to perform. I have about eight songs I have written myself, but I don't even have the nerve to perform them at home in front of my loved ones [sad]

You should be proud of your accomplishments.

Lars

Thats 8 more songs than I have Lars, you should be very proud of yourself.

And Ill tell you, when i started my vocal journey I started at the same base as you. But if I can do it Im sure you can also. All I did was follow one specific vocal course and practiced every day.

Commitment and discipline is the key, its as they say, you have to really want it ..... and Im a lazy bugger by nature.

Archived